advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Now that the weather is warmer, how productive is your garden?
Posted by: kap
Date: July 05, 2011 06:38PM
Pickle cucumbers:

Asian Eggplants:

heirloom tomatoes:

Not sure when to best pick the yields of the first two. The heirloom tomatoes took a long while before those green ones appeared.

What I have learned:
1) companion planting works well. I don't need to use chemicals except ones that already come with the fertilizers. I have started using coffee grounds, vegetable left-over and egg shells as compost.
2) I made a mistake of planting these too close to each other, on a spot too small, and not enough full sun.
3) No more upside down tomato planting in converted soda/water plastic bottles. I would have to water them several times a day.

SoCal for now.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Now that the weather is warmer, how productive is your garden?
Posted by: Black
Date: July 05, 2011 07:01PM
Good a time as any to post my before and after pics (of last Thursday's hail storm).

Tomatoes: June 29:

Tomatoes: July 3:

Cucumbers: June 29:

Cucumbers: July 3:

Shade garden-- late May:

Shade garden-- mid-late June:

Shade Garden-- early July:

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: July 05, 2011 07:02PM
No pictures but here in the Nor'east my tomatoes are about a foot high with a few blossoms and the corn has also hit the 1 foot mark. First crop of potatoes (red, russet, long white and small creamer) are going to flower, sweet onions are coming in nicely, no cukes yet and the squashes (zucchini and Hubbard) are throwing lots of blossoms....watermelon...I think I'll be buying it all summer judging by how small these are.

Eggplant and green peppers are still small with no blossoms. I usually do the Asian eggplant because they're easy to grill but I couldn't get any starts this year and had to settle for the big ones. Garlic, green onions, chives, shallots, Egyptian walking onions, horseradish, beets, basil, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries (red and golden), 4 varieties of bluberries and white grapes all doing their thing.

I feel like I'm working a farm this year and may have gone overboard. Weeding is the worst even though I've mulched everything. We got a late start here this season and we've only had warmer weather for the last few weeks, it's been pretty fall like......

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Date: July 05, 2011 07:19PM
Whoa, Black, my sympathy. Hope you can replants those in time to see a fruitful production. Check this YouTube: [www.youtube.com]

Jack D., I would have a mini farm here if the Wife didn't stop me. However, a neighbor suggest planting in pots and she is willing to donate many of her pots of various sizes. Just now watched a YouTube on organic garden. Didn't know watermellon could be grown in a pot!

SoCal for now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2011 07:22PM by kap.
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: July 05, 2011 07:48PM
kap, here's a link to the Ohio State University FactSheet on
Container Vegetable Gardening. It gives you a list of what grows in pots and what size pot to use. You can download the list as a PDF at the bottom of the page. Here's another link to their main veggie page.

Black, looks like the hail really beat up on the garden, my condolences... I know how you feel because I got flooded out 2 years ago and had to replant.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2011 07:57PM by Jack D..
Posted by: iaJim
Date: July 05, 2011 08:25PM
I had that happen to all of my hostas a few years ago. Later I read that if I had taken those leaves off that they would have made new ones. Takes some guts to do it though. Just breaks your heart. I'm sorry.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 05, 2011 08:36PM
My aquaponic garden just went on hiatus a few weeks ago. I do have some tomatoes amnd a couple green peppers but everything else has wilted from heat. The seasons are flopped here in Florida; summer is just too hot for many crops.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Date: July 05, 2011 08:39PM
Ombligo
My aquaponic garden just went on hiatus a few weeks ago. I do have some tomatoes amnd a couple green peppers but everything else has wilted from heat. The seasons are flopped here in Florida; summer is just too hot for many crops.

How hot? Tropical weather like yours I'd grow tropical plants and fruits. Ah, yes, mangoes, cherrimoya, etc. smiling smiley

SoCal for now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2011 08:40PM by kap.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: July 05, 2011 09:59PM
My tomato plants are 6 feet high, been picking for a month now. Bottom stems are yellowing/dieing from the heat even with adequate water, that's just what they do in South Carolina. First time I've tried cherry tomatoes, they have a hint of sweetness and are prolific; I pick 10 or so every day or 2 from just one plant. The plants will be dead by the end of the month. New crop gets planted end of August for October/November harvest, or until a freeze gets them usually by Thanksgiving.
Date: July 05, 2011 10:49PM
neophyte
Bottom stems are yellowing/dieing from the heat

Oh, man, same thing happening to two of my hybrid tomato plants. I thought it was due to overwatering! I'll be watering more now.

SoCal for now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2011 10:49PM by kap.
Posted by: billb
Date: July 06, 2011 10:22AM
I had high hopes ( well, not that high , ) for a big red tomato for July 4th. It's still sitting there the size of a fist nice and green.
Tomatoes are doing good, will have a zucchini this weekend, have been eating peas and froze some and green beans will need picking this weekend, too.

Not having much luck getting carrots and beets started this year.

Had wild (black)berries for breakfast and red raspberries are nice this year.
Got the cover on the blueberries last weekend just as the robins were starting to gorge out on them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 249
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020