advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Verizon trying anything to kill Grandfathered data plans
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 12, 2011 04:46PM
Our account was originally in my father in law's name. I had requested that it be turned over to me almost 8 years ago... thought it happened, didn't pay attention. Paid it, etc...

Lo and behold, the account was 'suspended' because the 'account holder is deceased'. Well duh.. he died in 2006.

So WHY did they check ?

yep.. Mrs. cbelt3 had an iPhone 4 with the 'unlimited' data plan.

Guess what ? Ain't unlimited no mo... the 'change of liability' means the whole thing resets. She's down to the 2G plan. She doesn't USE more than 800MB of data anyway, but it's the PRINCIPLE of the thing ! Because THEY screwed up !

BASTARDS !angry villagers smiley
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Verizon trying anything to kill Grandfathered data plans
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: July 12, 2011 05:02PM
That's Verizon for ya. When my mom died I called to cancel her phone. She had over a year left on her contract. I made the mistake of calling from my phone so they added the remainder of her contract to mine. I asked why and the guy laughed at me and said "well, she's dead, so we could just keep billing her but she can't pay, can she?"

When my contract came up for renewal, they tried to get me to renew. I explained to them how I was treated and they apologized. I said if they were sincere, make my contract up immediately (rather than a month or two away) and I would stick with them. The guy had to take it up with his manager, and they refused.

I asked if they knew it was wrong for them to extend my contract, why are they still holding me to the extension? He didn't have an answer.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 12, 2011 05:34PM
let the disillusionment begin!

Posted by: GeneL
Date: July 12, 2011 05:43PM
I was on a shared plan in my s/o's name and wanted to make sure that I had the unlimited data, so I opened a new account in my own name the day before the option disappeared.

I was assured by the rep, that I've worked with since we switched from Sprint to Verizon, that I would be grandfathered on the unlimited data plan. I wanted to make sure that I would have the unlimited data plan on my account when I sign a two year contract (currently not on a contract) to take advantage of the subsidized pricing on the next generation iPhone.

As it stands right now, I"m paying for the data plan even though the phone I'm using isn't a "smartphone." It's a Motorola Krzr that does have the capability to use some online functions, though. I just don't want to pay for data for the next few months until Apple introduces the new model iPhone and have Verizon tell me that I can't carry the data plan over to my new two year contract.

Your experiences have me worried about this. sad smiley

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: July 12, 2011 06:20PM
You guys are bringing me down!

I just signed my life away for 2 years with Verizon. But there wasn't much choice for me here in the dead zone of north central Iowa. It was either Verizon or US Cellular.

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 12, 2011 06:28PM
M A V I C
That's Verizon for ya. When my mom died I called to cancel her phone. She had over a year left on her contract. I made the mistake of calling from my phone so they added the remainder of her contract to mine. I asked why and the guy laughed at me and said "well, she's dead, so we could just keep billing her but she can't pay, can she?"

That was completely and entirely illegal. Why did you stand for it? Your state's attorney general would have been all over their @#$%& for that. The public utilities commission, too, I'd bet.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: July 12, 2011 06:29PM
N-OS X-tasy!
M A V I C

That was completely and entirely illegal. Why did you stand for it? Your state's attorney general would have been all over their @#$%& for that. The public utilities commission, too, I'd bet.

Was just about to chime in re/State Attorney General. These guys live for that kind of blood in the water.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Date: July 12, 2011 06:52PM
N-OS X-tasy!
M A V I C

'cause I didn't know better at the time. That and, well, days before I had found my mom dead, from a gunshot wound, in our backyard so I wasn't really with it.

Posted by: Mr645
Date: July 12, 2011 07:28PM
At least AT&T has not been so bad. I have ben with them a long time, jus ta basic 1400 min, unlimited texting, no data. I use cheap flip phones. But they have given me new phones twice without renewing a contract. Granted I am not getting new iPhones, but still paying the $19 contract price.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 12, 2011 07:33PM
Mr645
...But they have given me new phones twice without renewing a contract. Granted I am not getting new iPhones, but still paying the $19 contract price.

did you check how much those phones cost on eBay or at ATT Prepaid? just curious.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: July 12, 2011 09:24PM
GeneL
I was on a shared plan in my s/o's name and wanted to make sure that I had the unlimited data, so I opened a new account in my own name the day before the option disappeared.

I was assured by the rep, that I've worked with since we switched from Sprint to Verizon, that I would be grandfathered on the unlimited data plan. I wanted to make sure that I would have the unlimited data plan on my account when I sign a two year contract (currently not on a contract) to take advantage of the subsidized pricing on the next generation iPhone.

As it stands right now, I"m paying for the data plan even though the phone I'm using isn't a "smartphone." It's a Motorola Krzr that does have the capability to use some online functions, though. I just don't want to pay for data for the next few months until Apple introduces the new model iPhone and have Verizon tell me that I can't carry the data plan over to my new two year contract.

Your experiences have me worried about this.

Don't want to throw cold water on you, but my understanding is an unlimited data feature on a smart phone will be grandfathered in, but the unlimited data feature on a regular phone, when you move to a smart phone, will not be. You might want to check with your rep.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2011 09:28PM by neophyte.
Posted by: decay
Date: July 12, 2011 10:34PM
DEATH PANELS!! grinning smiley

---
Posted by: robbydek
Date: July 12, 2011 11:01PM
Verizon is being very stupid. First, they kill unlimited data and replace it was tiered data. Second, they decide to start charging for data to some services, which they aren't offering for free on top of the monthly fees. Third, they decide to have the low end start at $30 for 2GB compared to AT&T's $15 for 200MB and alienate the low end users. Fourth, they try their hardest to get rid of unlimited data which they said would be grandfathered in. Fifth, no data share plans yet.

approximately $80 (assuming all lines get smartphones) is sounding good to go to Sprint and get unlimited data on 4 phones and an extra 1100 minutes a month (although net minute gain would be less, because of all the Verizon-to-Verizon calling).
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 13, 2011 07:58AM
robby-
that would be nice, but Sprint coverage is awful in our area and... well, pretty much everywhere else. If you're in the boonies, Sprint won't help you at all.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 13, 2011 10:21AM
M A V I C
N-OS X-tasy!
M A V I C

'cause I didn't know better at the time. That and, well, days before I had found my mom dead, from a gunshot wound, in our backyard so I wasn't really with it.

That's certainly understandable. I've sorry about your mom.

It is what it is.
Date: July 13, 2011 10:38AM
cbelt3
robby-
that would be nice, but Sprint coverage is awful in our area and... well, pretty much everywhere else. If you're in the boonies, Sprint won't help you at all.

How is Verizon's coverage? With Sprint, you can roam on Verizon's network for free. I think there is a cap on the % of time you can be on Vzw's network.

Date: July 13, 2011 10:42AM
Around where I live, Verizon's coverage is great except in most cement buildings.
Date: July 13, 2011 10:43AM
M A V I C
cbelt3
robby-

How is Verizon's coverage? With Sprint, you can roam on Verizon's network for free. I think there is a cap on the % of time you can be on Vzw's network.

Around where I live, Verizon's coverage is great except in most cement buildings.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 128
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020