advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
My list of Lion problems
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: July 20, 2011 08:25PM
I went ahead and installed around lunch time today as I could let it go over my lunch break. I use VMware Fusion with a Win7 Pro installation for my work machine.

1. USB devices not recognized by Fusion from the host Mac (13 MBP). Not sure if it's the way Lion is handling the devices now or if it's an incompatibility issue with Fusion, but I also noticed similar wonky behavior with a USB DVDR.

2. The FreeNAS device that I had built for use as a Time Capsule is no longer recognized by Time Machine. Well, it's recognized, but won't backup to it. Worked fine before leaving for work this morning and the other three Macs are still connecting to it just fine.

3. The default setup for scrolling is intuitive, but that's the problem. Two finger scrolling has been counter intuitive for so long. So to suddenly flip the default to "natural" is confusing. You scroll up on the trackpad to move the page down, and vice versa.

4. Full screen apps. It's not obvious how to get out of these. Sometimes it's been escape key (Chrome) sometimes it's Shift Command F (can't remember the app now...)

5. Getting out of Dashboard. No keystrike will work, you have to click the arrow at the bottom. Annoying for those that use kb shortcuts to get in and out of dashboard.

#3-5 don't bother me much, just will get used to it.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: My list of Lion problems
Date: July 20, 2011 09:47PM
6. Audio doesn't work. The speaker icon in menu bar is greyed out and the volume up/down buttons on the keyboard produce a null volume adjustment icon (MBP 13).
Posted by: richorlin
Date: July 21, 2011 06:53AM
Seems specific to your situation. I upgraded from 10.6.7 and am not having any of those problems. Not much help for you but I just thought I'd mention it.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: July 21, 2011 07:09AM
blusubaru
I went ahead and installed around lunch time today as I could let it go over my lunch break. I use VMware Fusion with a Win7 Pro installation for my work machine.

1. USB devices not recognized by Fusion from the host Mac (13 MBP). Not sure if it's the way Lion is handling the devices now or if it's an incompatibility issue with Fusion, but I also noticed similar wonky behavior with a USB DVDR.

Can't help on tis one. I use Fusion with W7 and all works. W7 won't let go of the printer, even after closing W7 and Fusion, so I don't let it touch the printer.

2. The FreeNAS device that I had built for use as a Time Capsule is no longer recognized by Time Machine. Well, it's recognized, but won't backup to it. Worked fine before leaving for work this morning and the other three Macs are still connecting to it just fine.

Apple changed some things on this subject in Lion. This might help:

[www.alexanderwilde.com]

3. The default setup for scrolling is intuitive, but that's the problem. Two finger scrolling has been counter intuitive for so long. So to suddenly flip the default to "natural" is confusing. You scroll up on the trackpad to move the page down, and vice versa.

You can change this if desired in System preferences. I could give specifics, but you need to go thru SysPref yourself, carefully and slowly, looking for changes.

4. Full screen apps. It's not obvious how to get out of these. Sometimes it's been escape key (Chrome) sometimes it's Shift Command F (can't remember the app now...)

Welcome to Lion, where inconsistency is king.

5. Getting out of Dashboard. No keystrike will work, you have to click the arrow at the bottom. Annoying for those that use kb shortcuts to get in and out of dashboard.

Clicking on an empty spot still works for me.

#3-5 don't bother me much, just will get used to it.

You should not accept any loss of functionality. You should send feedback to Apple on problems you find. Apple will listen if enough folks respond. I was part of the seed test team for Lion. We were able to influence Apple on some things.

Gonna ask my Mother if that offer to slap
me into next year is still on the table.
Posted by: Tofer
Date: July 21, 2011 07:23AM
So far, aside from everything seeming much slower (esp. to load), the biggest bug I have so far is that my Microsoft Outlook reminders don't work -- the icon bounces and bounces and then stops, but no reminders come up.

The reversed scrolling is taking a while to get used to, as well.
Date: July 21, 2011 07:35AM
Looks like there are lots of first gen MBP users that don't have audio. Apple FOrums

Seems the fix that works for now is to plug in a pair of headphones, turn up the sound and then unplug the headphones again. Worked for me. That's pretty crappy! smiling smiley
Date: July 21, 2011 07:40AM
7. The OS now forces the username to the top right of the screen (next to spotlight magnifying glass). This pushes all of my other menu items to the left. Most apps then hide the remaining items (dropbox, jabra, menu meters). Can't seem to find a way to disable that. I'm the only user on my laptop. Why do I need to see my name at the top to tell me that it's me that's logged in!

Edit: it's just another new default on a preference. Users and Groups/Show fast user switching (uncheck this).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2011 07:42AM by blusubaru.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: July 21, 2011 08:20AM
The app store does not like my quad 2.5 G5. Oh well.
Date: July 21, 2011 10:18AM
Nope. Intel CPUs only for Lion.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 22, 2011 06:48PM
blusubaru
7. The OS now forces the username to the top right of the screen (next to spotlight magnifying glass). This pushes all of my other menu items to the left. Most apps then hide the remaining items (dropbox, jabra, menu meters). Can't seem to find a way to disable that. I'm the only user on my laptop. Why do I need to see my name at the top to tell me that it's me that's logged in!

Edit: it's just another new default on a preference. Users and Groups/Show fast user switching (uncheck this).

That's not new. I've had my Macs set up to show user name in the upper right menu bar for years now. As you indicate, it can be toggled on/off in System Prefs.

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 197
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018