advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
The Official Things I Dislike About Lion Thread
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: July 21, 2011 12:58PM
* Everything is gray. It is like a Soviet era city planner was in charge of the color scheme. *I think a TUAW writer had the same thought.
--I actually had to select icon and text in mail so I can more easily discern the various icon functions.

*Desktop seems to take more steps than Spaces.
-Previously, Spaces treated your second monitor as one desktop, but now each desktop is separate.
-In Spaces you could move an open window from space to space. You can't do that in Desktop. To move a window around takes a lot more effort.
-very annoying and completely destroys how I oriented my work flow.

*Scrolling-I use an iPhone and on a touch screen dragging the screen up and down works fine, but it doesn't work with a mouse. I know you can change it in the Mouse preferences, but it seems counter intuitive on a desktop without a touchscreen.

*Scroll bars should always be present. They indicate that there are more items in a folder. I know you can turn them on permanently in General preferences, but that seems like a step backwards.

*Resume-Is there a way to permanently turn it off? I know you chose not implement it every time you shut down or restart, but I don't want 20 items popping back up on restart.

*What happened to save as? The Duplicate function seems to add an unwanted step to me.

*Can you make the Close, Collapse, and Zoom buttons any smaller. Two monitors, one a 24 inch, it is like Apple is making it harder to hit the mark on purpose. Once again, this doesn't make my experience any easier, but harder.

*Dashboard--before you could click on the desktop and it would disappear. Now you have to find the arrow in the right hand corner to get back to the Finder. Why make it harder to navigate?

*Full screen. Try this if you have 2 screens. Open Calendar (this does have color, why?) and hit full screen. I have iCal open on my second monitor, but if you hit full screen, it moves it to the main monitor and places a gray desktop on the secondary monitor.

Why? Plus, it hides menu bar. I know, maybe we can have another menu bar built into the program, why it would be just like Windows : (

I don't hate Lion or even dislike it, but I will be honest, there seems to be a lot of steps backwards and attempts to iOS'ify" the MacOS where it doesn't make the experience any easier for the user.

Bryan
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The Official Things I Dislike About Lion Thread
Posted by: Trouble
Date: July 21, 2011 01:02PM
Someone is grumpy smiling smiley

I agree with some of you complaints. I actually like the sharpness the gray provides. I like the new scrollbars, but I keep them on auto and I had to reverse the scrolling. While I think it works for the touchpad, it is just plain goofy with the mouse's scrollwheel.
Posted by: john dough
Date: July 21, 2011 01:04PM
Mail, in full screen mode, does not allow you to click outside of the message to reference other messages; in non-full screen mode, that is not an issue. I reference other messages all of the time, so for me (for now), mail in full-screen mode is not usable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2011 01:05PM by john dough.
Date: July 21, 2011 01:04PM
I should add, you can fix a lot of the problems, like scroll bars, scrolling and so on via the preferences.

Bryan
Posted by: Jerry®
Date: July 21, 2011 01:12PM
Here's what I dislike - not having enough money from disability to even be able to buy it until next month. :-( Anyone wanna loan me $29.99??? LOL j/k

Actually I read an article this morning that had screenshots and the first thing I noticed was the finder window icons were all gray - al la iTunes. Hate this a lot.

Posted by: MGS_forgot_password
Date: July 21, 2011 01:19PM

*Resume-Is there a way to permanently turn it off? I know you chose not implement it every time you shut down or restart, but I don't want 20 items popping back up on restart.

This
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: July 21, 2011 01:28PM
As someone that uses an iPhone and iPad for hours daily, the scrolling is in no way going to be an issue for me. I don't mind how it was in Snow Leopard but Lion is going to provide a consistency. I use a magic mouse so maybe that is why it seems pretty natural to me. Or at least seems as if it will seem natural. I have bought/downloaded Lion but have yet to install. Looking forward to many of the "complaints" that others have posted.
Posted by: olnacl
Date: July 21, 2011 01:54PM
Trouble
Someone is grumpy smiling smiley
I had to reverse the scrolling. While I think it works for the touchpad, it is just plain goofy with the mouse's scrollwheel.

Hear! Hear!agree smiley
Posted by: OWC Jamie
Date: July 21, 2011 02:04PM
agree smiley

I mean how hard would it be to scroll normal when using a mouse but when trackpad input is detected, use the iPhone type scrolling...

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Posted by: decay
Date: July 21, 2011 02:19PM
I am so ready to stay with Snow Leopard.

and this is coming from a Leo!

---
Date: July 21, 2011 03:21PM
MGS_forgot_password

This

Thanks!

Bryan
Posted by: modelamac
Date: July 21, 2011 04:25PM
If you don't make Dashboard a separate space, it works the same in Lion as it does in SL.

I agree 100% with you on the other stuff.

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 21, 2011 04:40PM
OWC Jamie
agree smiley

I mean how hard would it be to scroll normal when using a mouse but when trackpad input is detected, use the iPhone type scrolling...

You just leaked the main selling point of OS X 10.8. grinning smiley

It is what it is.
Posted by: OWC Jamie
Date: July 21, 2011 04:58PM
Oh crap. I better start looking over my shoulder if that's the case!

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Posted by: fauch
Date: July 21, 2011 05:13PM
It doesn't work on PPC angry villagers smiley
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: July 21, 2011 08:26PM
I'm OK with it not RUNNING ON a PPC... but that whole loss of Rosetta thing is still making me a little bitter. That's going to be tough for me to get past at work. Not so bad at home (little spendy for Creative Suite, but I haven't given up on that yet).

I'm hearing concerning things about SMB and AFP connections to servers, etc, but I'm not panicing and jumping to conclusions on that yet... but I'm going to watch that closely.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: lazydays
Date: July 22, 2011 12:31AM
This Lion upgrade doesn't sound very smooth to me. I'm going to sit back and let it get sorted out. 10.6.6 works great.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 104
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018