advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Can I hang a cheap 3TB USB drive off my Time Capsule, and use it for Time Machine?
Posted by: estnyc
Date: July 21, 2011 06:51PM
Don't think I want to pay big bucks for the 3tb Time capsule, but would love more storage. Can I use an external USB as a Time Machine drive, or only for backing up the Time Capsule? What if I use more than one drive?

Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Can I hang a cheap 3TB USB drive off my Time Capsule, and use it for Time Machine?
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 21, 2011 06:56PM
I think it should work
Re: Can I hang a cheap 3TB USB drive off my Time Capsule, and use it for Time Machine?
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: July 21, 2011 07:23PM
It is easy to install the drive inside the TC. I took my 500 GB up to 3TB, and it is great for about 10 minutes and $120.

[www.applefritter.com]
Posted by: estnyc
Date: July 21, 2011 07:38PM
Neat link. At least I should be able to go up to 2Tb as long as I don't run afoul of that 4k sector thing.
Date: July 22, 2011 02:23AM
I used the WD 3TB with no problem.
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: July 22, 2011 06:56AM
From my research, you can add most any type of USB device. You can even add a USB hub. I thought about going with an Airport Extreme Base Station and a Drobo before building FreeNAS.
Posted by: Black
Date: July 22, 2011 08:25AM
Ken Sp.
It is easy to install the drive inside the TC. I took my 500 GB up to 3TB, and it is great for about 10 minutes and $120.

What happened to it after 10 minutes?

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Date: July 23, 2011 10:42AM
Black
Ken Sp.

What happened to it after 10 minutes?

Sorry, it took 10 minutes to do the change.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 160
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018