advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
The whole point of Lion
Posted by: DRR
Date: July 22, 2011 05:12AM
...in my opinion, is not to create a hybrid OSX/iOS environment, but to begin to get users acclimated to touch gestures for the next generation of touchscreen Macs. It's a UX principle, you can't throw too much new stuff at users who have preconceived ways of doing things, you have to boil the frog gradually. Introduce new hardware with a radical way of input and it's going to be met with some resistance because it will be too much for many users to learn at once. Ultimately, Apple cannot evolve the Mac without evolving the OS first.

They did the same thing with the iPhone. When it was intro'ed it had a fraction of the touch gestures that are now second nature to us all. Pinch to zoom was a revolutionary concept, scrolling with your fingers was magical. But if the iPhone had been released with advanced two and three finger gestures, many would either ignore the additional functionality or it would become a barrier to purchase.

Why else would Apple implement things like inverse scrolling and Mission Control, which most agree is essentially a step backward from where we've all been (expose, spaces)? The reason is because the old way worked great when you had a mouse and a keyboard but it's overly complex for systems designed for touch. Everything I see in Lion was designed with touch input in mind, it feels awkward because it's been shoehorned into current-gen mouse-and-keyboard systems. They are simplifying the user experience and planting little ux seeds for the next generation product.

Mark my words, Lion is only the precursor, the appetizer for a new generation of touch-based Macs. Lion may be the King of OSX but it's just a cub compared to what's coming next. Lion is the beginning of the end for OSX. It'll be EOL before we know it.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The whole point of Lion
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: July 22, 2011 05:15AM
The whole point of Lion is to simplify the development, distribution and support of the OS to save money.

The interface changes are lipstick on a pig.
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: July 22, 2011 05:51AM
A touch-based DESKTOP screen makes no sense in the real world. banghead smiley If you want to talk a table surface, then that's a whole new ballgame. wiggle smiley

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Date: July 22, 2011 05:54AM
WHiiP
A touch-based DESKTOP screen makes no sense in the real world. banghead smiley If you want to talk a table surface, then that's a whole new ballgame. wiggle smiley

Knowing Apple, I'm guessing whole-new-ballgame.
Date: July 22, 2011 05:58AM
Chakravartin
The whole point of Lion is to simplify the development, distribution and support of the OS to save money.

They built a billion dollar data center to avoid printing and shipping cardboard boxes?
Posted by: blooz
Date: July 22, 2011 06:30AM
I'm staying back here in the snow leopard dark ages until you all figure it out.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: DP
Date: July 22, 2011 06:44AM
What blooz sez...
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 22, 2011 06:45AM
.....it seems....the TRUTH hurts.....

......you can't handle the TRUTH......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: July 22, 2011 06:49AM
DRR
Chakravartin

They built a billion dollar data center to avoid printing and shipping cardboard boxes?

The profits from the iOS App Store and iOS devices more than justify the capital outlay for the data center. Everything else they get out of it is a bonus.
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: July 22, 2011 06:52AM
So, next is... Snow Lion? smiling smiley
Date: July 22, 2011 07:00AM
blusubaru
So, next is... Snow Lion? smiling smiley

I think they're going to jump right into OS X 11.

They've already got the new names lined up:

11.0 - tabby
11.1 - spots
11.2 - tortoishell
11.3 - cream
11.4 - smoke
11. 5 - tuxedo
11. 6 - caleco
11.7 - seal point
11.8 - mittens
11.9 - Jellicle
Posted by: modelamac
Date: July 22, 2011 07:14AM
I agree - well stated.

I don't like most of the changes and features. Don't use them. Don't need or want them, as they tend to cause me to use more steps to get the same job done.

I have two choices:

Accept and learn to live with the new OS

Let my dislike rule and fight a losing battle.

My biggest problem is being pushed into a trackpad/gestures world when I cannot physically adapt to that due to age and infirmities and attitude. I have very little problem using a mouse with precision. I always use a mouse with my laptop Macs even on the road.

How can graphics folks possibly use gestures with any precision? What about Photoshop? FCP? Audiophiles? Programmers? These do not necessarily mean professionals.

It appears there will be 2 worlds: the mousers and the swipers.

If Apple starts to exclude the mouse from use, someone will come along to fill that void. I suspect it will be in the form of a remote control or laser device.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on several OSes and an ego trip.
Posted by: Pam
Date: July 22, 2011 08:03AM
What's a mouse? I'd have to go back to pre-Pismo days.
Posted by: Black
Date: July 22, 2011 08:03AM
Steve basically admitted that touch screens are an ergonomic disaster when he intro'd the solid state MBAs. "Macs" are not moving to touch screen interface.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 22, 2011 09:15AM
Black
Steve basically admitted that touch screens are an ergonomic disaster when he intro'd the solid state MBAs. "Macs" are not moving to touch screen interface.

This.
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 22, 2011 10:25AM
DRR
Chakravartin

They saved a billion dollars in printing, packaging and delivery.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 22, 2011 10:30AM
Dark ages here, too, on my Mac. I'm too engrained with a mouse when I write to be held back by crappy touch devices.

At the same time, I'm adding this note via an iPhone. Slow, but it works because it's always connected to the cloud.

If Apple offered a 3G (or better!) MBA, I would use that instead.
Posted by: decay
Date: July 22, 2011 11:05AM
i demand OS X Scottish Fold.

---
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 22, 2011 11:33AM
OS 11 as a name is already taken.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: silvarios
Date: July 22, 2011 12:01PM
Filliam H. Muffman

So was OS 9 and iOS (and iPhone). If Apple wants 11, surely they can afford to pay for the privilege.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2011 12:22PM by silvarios.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 22, 2011 12:59PM
DRR

I asked myself that same question yesterday. The answer, of course, is "yes" and "no."

It is what it is.
Posted by: davester
Date: July 22, 2011 01:02PM
Filliam H. Muffman

Oh no! That means they won't be able to use the slogan

"It goes to (OS) 11!"

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 260
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018