advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
hard drive conundrum
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: July 22, 2011 05:40PM
I need more space. That isn't debatable. I was just about to pick up 2 3tb hard drives (1 to use and 1 to backup) when I started thinking about the future.

I'd like to move away from my old mac pro tower eventually. Whether that's an iMac or a Mini I don't know. It's not cost feasible yet. But I need to decide on my HD situation before that happens.

So I then thought about getting one of our sponsor's QX2 and a couple cheaper (and smaller) drives to fill it. It would give me more space. And also give me the external solution I'll need down the road. But of course, it's more expensive.

Just looking for some thoughts I guess.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 22, 2011 05:41PM
Go external early. It's what The Leader wants you to do. Don't forget the Thunderbolt interface ! (futureproofing)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: hard drive conundrum
Date: July 22, 2011 05:50PM
If only. But since there's only ONE thunderbolt external device AND the cheapest version is $999...I'll pass.

Posted by: Trouble
Date: July 22, 2011 05:51PM
I have a QX2 and I am very happy with it. I grabbed mine as an open box and got it for $220 shipped. It is very fast (I use eSATA and get over 220 MB/s reads and 180+ MB/s writes) and extremely cheap for a high quality RAID 5. The only "problem" is using it as a single volume means having to populate it with all four drives at once.

A drobo is slower and more expensive, however it will allow you to increase the storage to a single volume as you can afford new drives. Buy a couple 3TB drives now and when it starts to fill, just buy another drive at a cheaper price. A drobo s will give you an eSATA port for a fast interface, @ 100 MB/s, but no where near as fast as the QX2. While the drobo can take any speed or sized drive, best results occur when matching the drives.

Here is something that may help. ZFS is scheduled to be released next month on the eighth. What using ZFS would do is allow you to add drives one at a time to the QX2 but still put them into the same storage pool for a single volume. Of course, there would be the additional cost of the ZFS software as well.
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 22, 2011 05:53PM
id say wait 6 months. I expect TB stuff to be expensive, maybe on the cost of the FW800, but nice and fast.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: July 22, 2011 06:02PM
Yeah. I've waited about as long as I want to. Not only am I just about out of room but I have an opportunity to set something up that won't wait.

Posted by: tortoise
Date: July 22, 2011 06:37PM
Another owner of the Qx2 from our sponsor and like "trouble" I am a firm believer in the quality of this product and the speeds on eSATA are phenomenal. I have a Drobo and a SansDisk RAID and neither of them come close to the quality of the Qx2. If you need the space now go for the Qx2 I doubt that you will have any regrets and you should find it useful for some time into the future.

Thunderbolt may be revolutionary but as yet it is just another unproven connection scheme by Apple and it remains to be seen how widespread it will become or even how long it will last.
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: July 22, 2011 08:25PM
Drobo S w/USB 3.0 (grab a card for your Mac), or take your pick:
eSATA, FireWire 800 (FireWire 400 compatible), and USB 3.0

[www.drobo.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2011 08:29PM by onthedownlow.
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: July 22, 2011 09:07PM
Drobos are great machines. But if you're pressed for HD space and have an old PC laying around, FreeNAS. Network storage!
Date: July 23, 2011 12:41AM
pressed for storage is a good way to put it. I'm torn. Never thought of the drobo. It IS $100 more than the Qx2. Can't afford the "S". But I don't have to fill it with drives which is a plus. Speed doesn't really matter for this application. And no. No PC laying around.

Posted by: Trouble
Date: July 23, 2011 01:04AM
bazookaman
pressed for storage is a good way to put it. I'm torn. Never thought of the drobo. It IS $100 more than the Qx2. Can't afford the "S". But I don't have to fill it with drives which is a plus. Speed doesn't really matter for this application. And no. No PC laying around.

The $300 firewire drobo doesn't support 3TB drives right now. From drobo "The release for 3TB drive support for the Drobo 4-bay units is almost complete however we are continuing to put the release through quality assurance testing." [support.drobo.com]
Date: July 23, 2011 09:53AM
ok. so it goes like this.

The Qx2 and the 4 bay Drobo are both $299.

The Qx2 is faster but you have to populate all the drives.
The Drobo is slower but you can fill it with drives at your leisure.

Are the speeds referred to the throughput over eSATA? and the Drobo is slower b/c it lacks an eSATA port? Or is it something else? If so, it's a moot point since I don't have eSATA on my tower right now. And whatever I buy in the future won't have it either.

Which is quieter?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2011 09:56AM by bazookaman.
Posted by: btfc
Date: July 23, 2011 10:31AM
[www.newegg.com]
Posted by: clay
Date: July 23, 2011 09:48PM
I'm interested in this question as well, b-man. I have a Mac Pro as my home machine, and I think in the next year or so, I'll probably move to something smaller, as I'd like something a little smaller/more efficient. But, I also have a bunch of full internal drives, too, and need to decide how best to migrate those to something external.
Date: July 24, 2011 07:51AM
clay
I'm interested in this question as well, b-man. I have a Mac Pro as my home machine, and I think in the next year or so, I'll probably move to something smaller, as I'd like something a little smaller/more efficient. But, I also have a bunch of full internal drives, too, and need to decide how best to migrate those to something external.

Heh. Same situation. I figured I could always buy a new computer now, but after some thought I realized I needed to have the "support" system in place first. Still thinking about it.

Posted by: blusubaru
Date: July 24, 2011 12:30PM
IMO, the benefits of the Drobo (that I can't find in any other retail hardware-based NAS/RAID enclosure):
1. Expandable - grows with you. Swap out small drives for larger ones with no loss of data
2. Mix-Match Drives - Drives don't need to be the same model, don't even need to be the same capacity

The tradeoff is speed. I brought home one of our 5-bay ethernet Drobos from work for some benchmarking. We were getting a max of 7-8MB/sec on the crappy work LAN. At home I got around 20MB/sec (full gigabit). That puts it close to what you get with sharing out a USB 2.0 enclosure for network usage.

The 4-bay enclosures can be had on eBay for less than $300 every day. Some even have hard drives in them already. While the 1st gens don't work with 3TB drives yet, they are fine for 2TB. Connect that with fw800 and share out for the network as needed. Or, as I was looking into doing: connect to USB 2.0 and plug into the back of an Airport Extreme Base Station.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 205
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018