advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Has anyone been helped by Time Machine?
Posted by: Microman
Date: July 23, 2011 10:48AM
I have a TIme Machine backup drive, that I try to keep plugged in too my Macbook.

When I listen to shows like Leo Leporte TWIT podcasts, I dont get a feeling that those level of geeks think it is a valuable tool. I know their sponsors are carbonite,

And Carbon Cloner, and the other program that does a complete backup are better, but Time Machine seems to do the job, and could really be valuable if needed.

Really the lazy mans way of backup up.

Do people like TIME MACHINE/
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Has anyone been helped by Time Machine?
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 23, 2011 10:52AM
No
Posted by: OWC Jamie
Date: July 23, 2011 10:53AM
Absolutely. I can think of 4 or 5 times I've gone to the backup to find a previous version of a file. Incredibly helpful and while I do make a clone weekly, I have TM daily smiling smiley

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: July 23, 2011 10:59AM
Heh. I royally hosed a couple files I was working on last night and was almost completely screwed. Then I thought. Time Machine! I went back about a month, got the untarnished files and was able to start over. Saved me A LOT of work.

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: July 23, 2011 11:09AM
At work, I've been able to "rescue" a couple user folders using Time Machine that would have been a LOT of trouble had they been irretrievable.

At home, I've been able to rescue MYSELF from having screwed up large documents beyond all redemption by reverting to "yesterdays" version.

It's certainly not the be-all-end-all in terms of backup, but it's the first line of defense...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: fromish
Date: July 23, 2011 11:16AM
I have been helped by Time Machine on many, many occasions. Most 'expert' and advice sites, like Macfixit, offer TM repairs and work arounds for upgrade and new OS problems and inconsistencies, relying most often on installing older OS elements from older TM backups. TM seems an important repair and emergency tool, though not the only backup or repair tool in the kit.
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: July 23, 2011 11:25AM
Yes.

Although I have other backup methods going too, I have recovered several critical installations and modified files on a few web servers and many, many old revisions of FileMaker databases from servers.

As a first defense, on such servers, and typically is all I need...it is just simpler to go into TM to do restorations.

Posted by: D. Lawson
Date: July 23, 2011 11:36AM
To this point, I have only had to use it to recover older versions of iPhone apps. I have a separate drive for a CCC clone in case I ever need to roll back an OS update (or decide to give Lion a test drive after I bite the bullet on other software upgrades first).
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: July 23, 2011 12:03PM
Yes! TM has saved my butt a few times when I've screwed up important files.

Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: July 23, 2011 12:49PM
Microman
When I listen to shows like Leo Leporte TWIT podcasts, I dont get a feeling that those level of geeks think it is a valuable tool.

Laporte isn't a geek. He's an idiot.

Do people like TIME MACHINE/

I do.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: July 23, 2011 01:00PM
Paul F.
It's certainly not the be-all-end-all in terms of backup, but it's the first line of defense...

agree smiley
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 23, 2011 01:08PM
I was able to rescue all the notes that were made during the period when I lost my parents 2 years ago.
Here's the details on how I did it.

[forums.macresource.com]

Grateful11
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: July 23, 2011 01:09PM
Sure, just two days ago. My main hard drive failed, and I had to replace it. But I cloned it to an external drive a month ago, so after restoring from that I used Time Machine to restore the handful of files from the last month. Time Machine to the rescue!

I wouldn't ever rely on Time Machine alone. I have two external FW drives; one is at my mom's house, one is here. Whenever I see her, I give her a fresh backup. She gives me the other drive, and I make a new backup and stick it in the safe. When I'm about to see her again, I freshen it up, and we swap. Time Machine won't be a big help if my house catches on fire or my mac is stolen. I've never found an online backup site that didn't get in my way, but offsite backups are critical. Doing them manually, though, isn't sufficient. Time Machine is a great incremental supplement.

When CS3 got stupid and Adobe told me I had to reinstall the whole freaking suite because stupidass Acrobat insisted I had to update it, and then that update stupidly invalidated my student license for all the CS3 apps, I saved *hours* of time by just restoring from a few hours previous. Imagine, you need to do something right now in Illustrator/PS/InDesign, and everything comes to a grinding halt because Adobe assumes you're guilty of piracy. Time Machine to the rescue!

About a year ago, my wife desperately needed a note on her iPhone, one she had mistakenly deleted months before. I used Time Machine to go back into the history iPhone backups. I backed up her phone, restored it to an ancient backup, got the note, restored from the modern backup, and she was happy. It was an adventure. I forget the details, but Time Machine wasn't my first approach. It was, however, the approach that finally worked. Time Machine to the rescue!
Posted by: RoadToad
Date: July 23, 2011 01:52PM
I've used it when replacing the internal boot drive in iMacs, works great!

Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger...
Posted by: TheToddler
Date: July 23, 2011 03:04PM
part of my multi-pronged backup setup ... I've used it a half-dozen times for the easiest solution though i might have had the backup elsewhere.

if you have a Apple Airport Extreme (or Time Capsule, obviously), just toss even an undersized hard drive on it for backing up a user folder ... might save your bacon some day.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 23, 2011 07:34PM
Time Machine backups saved me twice back in the earlier days of Leopard. Once was a 3rd party update of some kind that went awry and another was rarer---I needed to revert back to an earlier version of the OS. I just restored the entire System folder and it worked. A very Apple-like fix.
Posted by: steveroberts
Date: July 23, 2011 08:01PM
Saved my bacon today when Text Expander decided to self destruct. Called up a recent save of the app's preferences and voila, back in business.

SR
Posted by: Trouble
Date: July 23, 2011 09:37PM
I've pulled a couple files from TM before.
Posted by: clay
Date: July 23, 2011 09:46PM
like others here, yes, TM has saved my bacon a number of times. It's not the only backup in the arsenal, but an important one. When it comes to backups, you can never have too many options.
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: July 24, 2011 12:48PM
Absolutely love it. And I use Carbonite too. I've had two 500GB hard drives die in my MBP in the past six months, so I am paranoid about backups. As a test I've restored my MBP from Time Machine backups twice. Then again Friday night to go back to Snow Leopard from Lion. TM is elegant and gives me piece of mind.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 202
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020