advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
NAS setup - Not!
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: July 23, 2011 11:19AM
I was making slow but steady progress turning the old Dell into a NAS using FreeNAS. [forums.macresource.com]
Then I went & installed Lion, which rendered the whole setup useless. Doing a Google search for Lion compatible NAS software just turns up hits about how 10.7 has broken existing setups.

Is it up to Apple to fix this problem or will 3rd party developers come to the rescue? It seems to me that this is one of the biggest failures of Lion, especially when it makes TimeMachine all but useless.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: NAS setup - Not!
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: July 23, 2011 11:22AM
What's wrong with it? Did you install FreeNAS 8 or the older 7 (much preferred)?

I have Lion and am not having any issues connecting, etc.

Date: July 23, 2011 12:45PM
Version 7.2 & it wants a password but wont accept the password I enter or tells me there has been a problem & to contact the system administrator.

I felt like a cat chasing its tail & finally gave up. Maybe it's time to give it another shot.

Date: July 23, 2011 01:01PM
Wow! I finally managed to connect to it!!
No matter if I connect as a guest or registered user, I only have permission to read. That makes it impossible to add files to a file server.

BTW, ftp is the way I connected to it.

Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: July 23, 2011 03:08PM
DaviDC.
Wow! I finally managed to connect to it!!
No matter if I connect as a guest or registered user, I only have permission to read. That makes it impossible to add files to a file server.

BTW, ftp is the way I connected to it.

That's not a 10.7 problem. Apple only allows read-access when using FTP from the Finder. It's been that way since it was first implemented.

If you insist on using FTP then use a 3rd party FTP client. Try Cyberduck if you're cheap.

Apple f-ed with AFP and SMB in Lion. Try connecting to your NAS with each of those protocols if you want to see whether your NAS is incompatible with Lion.
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: July 24, 2011 12:45PM
Lion busted my FreeNAS setup too (v8). I rolled back to SL and will wait.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 159
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018