advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Not even remotely on topic, but, I bought a Martin tenor today
Posted by: Wags
Date: July 23, 2011 08:48PM
Sweet old gal, a '51 The Martin. My sax tech had it and had gone through it completely, including new pads. Plays great up and down with good intonation. And, wow, what sweet, smokey tone. Now all I need is a big honking mouthpiece. Any real sax players out there with recommendations? I'm thinking maybe a metal mpc.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Not even remotely on topic, but, I bought a Martin tenor today
Posted by: miK.
Date: July 23, 2011 09:18PM
Cool stuff! My current favorite tenor player is Bob Mintzer (Yellowjackets).
Have been a fan of those guys for years. Love that sound... I believe he
plays Selmer horns, though.

[www.youtube.com]

Sometimes I wonder, "What would Hodor say in this situation?" - Jim Gaffigan

Date: July 23, 2011 09:42PM
Nice! Yeah, I've been a fan of the Yellowjackets, too. Here's my idea of some nice vintage tenor sounds:

[www.youtube.com]

Ben Webster plays first and ends the piece. He's one of those sax players who's breathy tone is immediately recognizable. If only....
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 23, 2011 11:01PM
hey, maybe I can ask for some advice in this thread. I haven't played in about 25 years but I'm hoping to get on the wagon again. what are your recommendations for: (a) good books to get me up to speed, maybe a website and (b) a good horn that won't break the bank, an alto preferably.
Date: July 23, 2011 11:55PM
[www.saxontheweb.net]

This is a good site for info. I've been picking their brains for the last last few weeks and they've been very helpful. Right now is a buyers market for used horns. You can pick up a decent alto for a two or three hundred bucks. Yamaha student horns are really pretty good for money.
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: July 24, 2011 12:55PM
I don't recall the metal mouthpieces I have on my Alto and Tenor. At this point, I haven't done live stuff for about 6 years. I have a Selmer Mark 6 Alto and Tenor. When I do get the Alto out these days, it's my old trusty Bamber concert mouthpiece. Smooth and round.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: July 24, 2011 02:33PM
Committees are nice. I've got a student playing on one now. It was probably a new purchase when the school bought it back in the day. She believes me when I tell her it's the nicest sax in the band, but I don't think the other kids do. It looks like crap (as they all should by now). I've got a Buescher Big B alto and tenor right now, but the tenor needs a repad. I won't make any mpc recs, though, because I'm not primarily a ww player. I use a C* on my alto, but that's mostly concert band playing with beginners.

I'd like to get my hands on a Committee trumpet just to see what all the fuss is about.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 24, 2011 03:19PM
......I just bought a MARTINi & Rossi....Asti Spumante......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 317
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018