advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Are there any good non-alcoholic or low alcohol content beers out there ?
Posted by: ItsMeAlison
Date: June 16, 2006 08:24AM
At home, we like beer but sometimes don't need to get buzzed.
It would be nice if there was a non-alcoholic or low alcohol content beer that tasted as good as the real thing.
Does such a thing exist ? I mean, I have seen some around, I think O'douls is one of them.
I guess I'm looking for any recommendations for a good one, one that actually tastes like beer. Or if you just know of one but haven't tried it please post it and I'll take it from there ;)

Thanks
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Are there any good non-alcoholic or low alcohol content beers out there ?
Posted by: spearmint
Date: June 16, 2006 08:33AM
St. Pauli Girl. Nice European beer has a low alchohol version. None are completely without alchohol but low enough such that it will not affect you unless you drink at least six.

Da Good Life
Posted by: honu
Date: June 16, 2006 08:34AM
Move to Utah. Their legal alcohol content is about half of what you find in the rest of the country. grinning smiley

-----
"This Macresource Forum rocks!"
Date: June 16, 2006 08:38AM
And I quote "St. Pauli Non-Alcoholic - St. Pauli Non-Alcoholic (N.A.) has a pleasant hop aroma, a well-balanced malt flavor, crisp hop finish and the taste of an imported beer without the alcohol. This N.A. has been the Gold Medal winner for the American Tasting Institute Best Imported Non-Alcoholic Malt Beverage from 00'-02'. She's a pure, high-quality Girl."

I used to work for a company named Pauli and Griffin and made it the official beer of the marketing and sales department. Bunch of crooks.

Da Good Life
Posted by: Jem
Date: June 16, 2006 08:43AM
I like Kaliber when I want the flavor but not the buzz :}

I find with N.A. beers they are better COLD. With good real beers, I enjoy them a bit warmer because the flavor is richer and more complex. It's hard to get that in a N.A. beer.

Haven't tried St. Pauli NA, but will have to check it out.
Posted by: TLB
Date: June 16, 2006 08:48AM
If you go mass market, O'Douls Amber is much better than the other cricket p*ss available.
Date: June 16, 2006 08:51AM
O'Douls is good stuff.

Da Good Life
Date: June 16, 2006 09:05AM
TLB
If you go mass market, O'Douls Amber is much better than the other cricket p*ss available.

I had a Sharp's once (made by coors???) and it tasted like it had been hopped with honey roasted peanuts.

Not exactly what I was looking for.
Date: June 16, 2006 09:07AM
The list at the bottom of this page may also help get ideas...

[en.wikipedia.org]
Posted by: blooz
Date: June 16, 2006 09:27AM
Kaliber is good and has some body to it, so you don't feel like you're drinking weird-tasting water.
Also, one I haven't seen since i left Long Island years ago, Wartek (not sure about spelling).

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: davester
Date: June 16, 2006 09:52AM
I oscillate between St Pauli Girl, Becks and Clausthaller. They are all reasonably good.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: ItsMeAlison
Date: June 16, 2006 10:32AM
Awesome! Thanks everyone.
St Pauly Girl definitely sounds worth trying. Actually I'm gonna try them all.
I guess the next step is to find a place that actually carries a nice selection of N.A beers. I don't think my local liquor store carries N.A. beers...

You guys rule! thanks again
Posted by: New.Dad
Date: June 16, 2006 11:17AM
I drink Wine or Vodka when I want to get buzzed and normal beer when I need to stay sober. It would take many beers to get me buzzed smiling smiley
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: June 16, 2006 11:20AM
My alcoholic stepfather was usually content with O'Doules. Of course it helped that he was blind and couldn't read the label. smiling smiley He probably thought we just bought really cheap, crummy beer.
Posted by: Effin Haole
Date: June 16, 2006 12:53PM
I know foks swear by a "HockeyPuck"

Haake -something.

Can't stand the taste of 99.9% of beers. So I really couldn't tell ya if it is any good.

Strength without compassion is brutality. Compassion without strength is weakness.

We must train our minds to desire what the situation demands.
Posted by: Baby Tats
Date: June 16, 2006 01:57PM
My mom can be found drinking any of the following:

St. Pauli Girl N/A
Buckler
Haake Beck
Clausthaler (sp?)
and her favorite... Kaliber

Myself, I like St. Pauli Girl N/A

They all taste best served Ice Cold. Otherwise they tend to get a sweet taste to them.

BT
Posted by: incognegro
Date: June 16, 2006 01:58PM
kaliber & clausthaler are both palatable.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: June 16, 2006 02:20PM
How is beer without alcohol like a car without wheels?

Neither one will get you there.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: June 16, 2006 03:17PM
Go to [www.ratebeer.com] and do an advanced search using the world "light". Sort it by rating and then start looking for ones with low alcholol content.

St. Pauli Girl is about 5% so it doesn't really qualify as a light beer. It is a pretty bland beer, easy to drink, which may lead people to think it is lighter than it's 5%.

I brew my own beer which gives me complete control of the process and contents. Brewing a light beer would be extremely easy and very affordable but you have to be into it for a hobby.

Dave
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 16, 2006 10:37PM
haake sucks!

kaliber i don't like too much, either. i wish some brewers would make a good low alcohol beer; i don't have to have no alchohol, just low. lately, i've been drinking corona lights (which i used to think was a redundant term) and they get my vote for best light beer out there (around 100cal and 5g carbs) and i can't seem to get a buzz off of a few, so they must be pretty low alcohol. yah, i'm kind of a lightweight these days...
Posted by: davester
Date: June 17, 2006 01:09AM
davemchine
St. Pauli Girl is about 5% so it doesn't really qualify as a light beer. It is a pretty bland beer, easy to drink, which may lead people to think it is lighter than it's 5%.

Sorry Dave, but we're talking about a different animal. St Pauli Girl N/A is NOT the same as regular St Pauli Girl. The N/A beers have something like <0.5% alcohol, not 5%. None of the non-alcoholic beers are even remotely as good as a good home brew or real ale, but some of them are moderately drinkable.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Baby Tats
Date: June 18, 2006 01:02AM
I think there is a market for near beer. Think about it- it might not be you, but it could be someday. Get it yet?

BT
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 136
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018