advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Cooks.com Remote Thermomter For Grill?
Posted by: chopper
Date: July 27, 2011 09:37AM
I no longer have access to the America's test kitchen episode where they tested remote meat thermometers. Does anyone recall which model they rated highest (I think it was also the cheapest?).

Their web site is locked down if you don't subscribe?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Cooks.com Remote Thermomter For Grill?
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: July 27, 2011 09:59AM
Despite the subscription - looks like you can make it out:

[www.americastestkitchen.com]

Despite the overlay, you can still highlight the text behind it and copy/paste it out (here's the first three):

Highly Recommended
Victorinox (formerly Victorinox Forschner) 6-inch Straight Boning Knife: Flexible
The nonslip grip and narrow, straight blade let testers remove the smallest bones with precision and complete comfort. Perfectly balanced with enough flexibility to maneuver around tight joints. The low price was a bonus.

Recommended
Wsthof Classic Boning Knife

Hefty in weight, this knife was a solid performer when removing poultry bones, and the handle was easy to grip, even when covered in chicken fat. Piercing silver skin was a challenge since the tip wasnt sharp enough and the long narrow blade produced slightly jagged cuts.

Recommended with Reservations
Mundial Boning Knife: Flexible

The sharp tip performed well when removing silver skin, but it was too flexible when maneuvering around poultry joints, leaving testers feeling a lack of control. The heavy handle was slightly unbalanced and became slippery once covered in poultry fat.

...but maybe these aren't meat thermometers? ; )

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2011 10:04AM by onthedownlow.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 27, 2011 10:02AM
I would say create a temp email address to see if it will get you enough access.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: freeradical
Date: July 27, 2011 10:26AM
If you want the best thermometer you can get, buy one that uses a thermocouple like the Thermapen.

Look at how fast it gets a reading.

[www.cookingforengineers.com]
Posted by: earache
Date: July 27, 2011 10:31AM
The winner of their test is the Taylor Wireless Thermometer with Remote Pager Plus Timer. Second up is the Maverick Redi-Chek Dual Probe Remote Thermometer. Not recommended was the CDN Wireless Probe Thermometer and Timer.

I can vouch for the Maverick. With dual probes it's great for BBQ... one probe for the meat the other for BBQ temp.

earache
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 143
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018