advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $111.90 ( +2.49 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How can I fix the hydraulic lift on my computer chair - without having to lose weight?
Posted by: Jerry®
Date: July 30, 2011 11:21AM
It has started to slip and I slowly end up with my chin in line with my desktop. Anyone handy enough to know if there's some sort of thing I can tighten....or??

thanks

16GB WIFI (3rd gen)
My Phone:
iPhone 6 (iOS 8.1.2 • Verizon)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How can I fix the hydraulic lift on my computer chair - without having to lose weight?
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 30, 2011 11:26AM
Usually the lift cylinders are sealed units, nothing to be tightened, etc. Once the internal valve starts leaking not much you can do but replace the cylinder. Better chairs the part is available as a replacement item, cheap chairs you just buy another chair. So if you have something like a Steelcase or Herman Miller chair, contact them for repair parts.
Re: How can I fix the hydraulic lift on my computer chair - without having to lose weight?
Date: July 30, 2011 11:28AM
Well it's most likely a cheap chair. I got it at WalMart for $150 - not cheap to me but still.....

16GB WIFI (3rd gen)
My Phone:
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 30, 2011 11:36AM
$150? - a midrange chair. Parts might be available, but you most likely will have to pay for them. That is if you can find the manufacturer. Higher end chairs you might get the part for free as many have lifetime or long term warranties.
Posted by: davester
Date: July 30, 2011 11:39AM
Isn't that what cinderblocks are for?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: July 30, 2011 11:41AM
Replacement cylinders:
[www.google.com]

Replacing a gas cylinder:
[www.swivel-chair-parts.com]

I get my office chairs from office supply stores when they have sales and stackable coupons at prices so low they're practically disposable. If a replacement cost $150 bucks, I'd probably try to repair the chair before replacing it.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: July 30, 2011 11:52AM
I've found that the cheapo chairs pretty much have the same cylinder assemblies. I've saved a few chairs over the years and have cobbled together parts to extend the life of seemingly "trashed" chairs.

Maybe keep an eye out for parts on trash day?

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: haikuman
Date: July 30, 2011 12:12PM
This is a great and funny post ~!~ First of all I want to offer that a lot of the chairs presented to us are made in China. They are sheet ~!~ I currently have 3 in my Apartment. 2 broken and """won"""" still functional. Daves idea is perfect. We need more cinder blocks.

Posted by: davester [PM] [Ignore this user]
Date: July 30, 2011 11:39AM
Isn't that what cinderblocks are for?

Another thread is why do we keep buying such crap from China.

I hear you Jerry. Fortunately as I am laughing my current chair is maintaining its limited integrity *(:>*

Just as a scientific suggestion and for the sake of research why not try some helium enemas and lighten your loaf tongue sticking out smileygrinning smiley cartman smiley devil smiley jest smiley

Rudie

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2011 12:16PM by haikuman.
Posted by: Black
Date: July 30, 2011 12:18PM
Up to a certain price point they all have the same crappy hydraulic units.
If you have any experience drilling steel (or a friend with a drill press) I would seriously consider drilling it out at the height you want and sticking a bolt in it-- done.

MR/F Guestmap: [www.mapservices.org]
Date: July 30, 2011 12:22PM
Black
If you have any experience drilling steel (or a friend with a drill press) I would seriously consider drilling it out at the height you want and sticking a bolt in it-- done.

On my gawd I get goose bumps when you talk dirty Sir black tongue sticking out smileygrinning smiley devil smiley jest smiley

Steve Jobs

G.D. Kittredge III

"

Posted by: davester
Date: July 30, 2011 12:35PM
haikuman
Black

On my gawd I get goose bumps when you talk dirty Sir black tongue sticking out smileygrinning smiley devil smiley jest smiley
jest smileyjest smileyjest smileyjest smileyjest smileyjest smileyjest smileyjest smileyjest smileyjest smileyjest smileyjest smileyjest smileyjest smileyjest smileyjest smiley

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: LyleH
Date: July 30, 2011 12:40PM
Going along with Black's thought of drilling through the cylinder, you might be able to put a c-clamp around the tubing so it can't drop down. I've done this on a hydraulic-operated kitchen stool. Easier than drilling. This is with the assumption you want to keep the chair at one specific level. Post a pic and maybe we can throw out some other ideas.

LyleH
Posted by: GeneL
Date: July 30, 2011 01:02PM
I had the same problem and one day I got lucky…

… one of my neighbors had left a similar chair by the dumpster.

Sure enough, it had the lift cylinder that I needed, so I grabbed it, took it apart, switched bases and I was back in business.

I don't know where you might find a chair that you could cannibalize, but perhaps a thrift store, Goodwill, or maybe a large company with lots of office chairs that has some to dispose of?

Do you live in an area where there are places you could call to check whether they have some throw aways? If you do, as they use to say, "let your fingers do the walking" on Monday. smiling smiley

I know how you feel. Not a lot of money to just go out and buy another chair and feeling frustrated because your chair is fine except for this "little" kink. sad smiley

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Date: July 30, 2011 01:21PM
[www.google.com]

I googled American Made Office Chairs

Rudie

Steve Jobs

G.D. Kittredge III

"

Posted by: space-time
Date: July 30, 2011 03:07PM
breath some He
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 30, 2011 05:01PM
Or just buy a new cheap chair and swap cylinders.

Rick-o
I've found that the cheapo chairs pretty much have the same cylinder assemblies. I've saved a few chairs over the years and have cobbled together parts to extend the life of seemingly "trashed" chairs.

Maybe keep an eye out for parts on trash day?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: August 01, 2011 12:54PM
Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions!!

16GB WIFI (3rd gen)
My Phone:
Posted by: liftchairs
Date: May 24, 2012 02:15AM
Going along with Black's thought of drilling through the cylinder, you might be able to put a c-clamp around the tubing so it can't drop down. I've done this on a hydraulic-operated kitchen stool. Easier than drilling. This is with the assumption you want to keep the Lift Chair at one specific level. Post a pic and maybe we can throw out some other ideas.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 90
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 322 on December 17, 2014