advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
On-Line Back Up? Vendor?
Posted by: chopper
Date: July 31, 2011 08:44AM
I've two Macs at the office that I'd like to do complete on-line back ups in case the building ever goes up in flames.

Both drives are large and one almost full.

Which vendor does everyone use?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: On-Line Back Up? Vendor?
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: July 31, 2011 08:44AM
Crashplan.

Main reason I went with them was their "seed drive". Plus I can use it to back to another Mac over the interwebs. So my home Mac can back up to my office Mac and vice versa. I have the family plan so I have unlimited backup for all 3 of my main computers. My renewal is coming up at the end of August and fully intend to renew.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2011 08:47AM by bazookaman.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 31, 2011 09:00AM
I'm happy with backblaze.

Posted by: jdc
Date: July 31, 2011 09:43AM
You are going to have to go with one like crashplan and use the seed drive.

someone posted about finally finishing their online backup -- after 4 months of 24/7 backup -- provided your ISP will even let you send that much data...

instead of OS, applications, etc -- how much just plain "data" do you need to backup?

And if this is just to get the files out of the building, how about just an external drive you take home everyday?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: July 31, 2011 10:06AM
If you have a secure secondary site, you could swap out backup drives monthly, weekly, daily, etc. No need to pipe data directly to the external site.
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: July 31, 2011 08:57PM
I use Carbonite. The seeding wasn't important to me as my bandwidth at work (IT firm) isn't capped. But it did take just shy of the two week free trial to get the 20GB uploaded that I wanted to backup. I don't use the cloud to backup the entire system. I use TimeMachine for that. In the event that my house burns down and I lose my entire system backups and my systems, I'll have bigger concerns.

That said, Carbonite doesn't currently work with Lion. That was one of the reasons that I switched back to SL.
Posted by: Trouble
Date: July 31, 2011 09:24PM
Carbonite caps upload speeds [carbonite.custhelp.com]

I can upload that 20 GB in about a day. When I was on comcast cable, I could still upload @ 8 GB a day. I recommend Crashplan.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 110
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018