advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
water main shut off
Posted by: pbarra1
Date: August 11, 2011 12:44PM
To the forum that can answer any question I pose the following.

What type of corporation stop is used in nazareth, pa? We are serviced by easton suburban water authority. I need to fix where the main copper water supply penetrates through my poured foundation. It was not sleeved and I can hear it leaking through the concrete on the outside of the house. I friend is coming in a few hours with a key but not sure if its the right shape for my shut off at the street. Anyone know? TIA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: water main shut off
Posted by: billb
Date: August 11, 2011 12:59PM
key for the street is about 4 feet long, iirc.

Town Water Works should send someone over and shut off for you if you call them.

They might drive faster if you tell them the kids are swimming in the new basement pool.
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: August 11, 2011 01:17PM
The city should be able to do it for you.

That said - the ones I have seen are a 5 sided hex head and from experience I can tell you that they can be shut off with a pair of channel lock pliers

Date: August 11, 2011 01:20PM
What happens when I am done and want the water turned back on and its 8 pm? Does public works work 24/7?
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: August 11, 2011 01:57PM
I would just watch them closely when they turn it OFF...
Then you can devise a method of turning it back ON at 8pm... grinning smiley

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: billb
Date: August 11, 2011 02:23PM
No idea re Pa, but here it is emergency off , appointment on.
and "appointment " is some kid in a pick-up ( likely the same one who shut it off) shows up, turns it back on, puts a check mark on a piece of paper and drives away. Never once looking at your house or even aknowledging that it is there.

It better not leak . :-)

That's how it was years ago.

These days they likely expect a licensed plumber to have pulled a work permit ( tax) , sent an inspector out ( usually an invisible one) , then sent the kid when all the signatures are on a piece of paper.
YMMV

Seems to me I cut a notch in a piece of PVC pipe to turn it back on, but ours was just a flat, not a square or multi-sided . Likely town has several different valves in different parts of town for historic standards changes.

I know we have both square and round street valve cock covers and I've never seen down a square one.
Posted by: Carm
Date: August 11, 2011 06:30PM
At my house built in 2002 and older houses I have been at have the street main in front of their house. It can be turned off or on by the home owner (or anyone with a wrench) unless it is locked, havent encountered any locked meters. Meter man comes once a month to lift up concrete cover to take readings and is gone. My BIL had to shut the water off at my house after my son broke a pipe in the back yard, when I was out of town.

You guys/gals probably have union issues to deal with and cannot even touch the meter shutoff.

Joe Carm
Date: August 11, 2011 08:23PM
done - no leaks. to be safe i will back fill tomorrow
Posted by: Wags
Date: August 12, 2011 12:37AM
You can get one of these for $12 at Home Depot. I keep one handy because there's no internal shut-off valve in my basement.

Posted by: Cary
Date: August 12, 2011 09:18AM
Open the cover (usually that's secured by a pentagon shaped bolt head attached to a cam on the underside). Just use Channel-locks to turn one half turn. Lift up cover. The shut-off valve needs to be turned one quarter-turn (either direction). On is in line with pipe, off is across pipe. Do you repair, turn on by doing the opposite of above.
Date: August 12, 2011 02:29PM
all done - no leaks - thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 244
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018