Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OT: Purchasing Hills Prescription Food
Posted by: IronMac
Date: August 13, 2011 04:13AM
Hi all,

I know that you can only purchase the prescription line from a vet but can you purchase it from just any vet? Do you need to be a client beforehand? Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: Purchasing Hills Prescription Food
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: August 13, 2011 04:41AM
You don't even need a vet.

Just walk into a vet's office, grab a bag from the display (or ask for it if it's not in a display out front) and pay for it.

It's called "Prescription Diet," but it doesn't contain medication. It's supply-constrained in order to jack up the price.
Date: August 13, 2011 05:37AM
Thanks Chakravartin!!!
Posted by: neophyte
Date: August 13, 2011 05:30PM
Or if you get the vet to write the prescription for it, you can buy it at Petsmart.
Date: August 13, 2011 05:49PM
Don't have a prescription != no vet.
Date: August 13, 2011 05:51PM
neophyte
Or if you get the vet to write the prescription for it, you can buy it at Petsmart.

Yeah, they're weird about it. They've started requiring not just a prescription, but also they'll charge people an extra fee to issue a "MedCard" that's used to track all prescription diet purchases from their stores.

Of course, you could get around all that fuss by mail-ordering the food...
[www.amazon.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2011 05:54PM by Chakravartin.
Date: August 13, 2011 06:04PM
Ok, so do I need a prescription or not? Maybe I wasn't clear in my original posting.

I simply do not want to go back to the original vet, I just want a particular line of prescription food.
Date: August 13, 2011 06:15PM
IronMac
Ok, so do I need a prescription or not? Maybe I wasn't clear in my original posting.

You do if you buy it from Petsmart.

Otherwise, you shouldn't need a prescription. If you go to buy it from a vet's office and somebody there makes a fuss about you not being a patient then just walk out of the office and try another vet.

The food is not regulated as a drug. The legit concern is that because it's formulated for pets with specific health problems it may not be a complete and beneficial diet for all pets, so people who do not consult a vet before buying the stuff are potentially damaging their pets' health.

If your vet recommended it and you just don't want to buy it from his/her office then you should be able to obtain it elsewhere with minimal fuss.

I've done this a few times when I needed a new bag and my vet's office was closed: Walk into another vet's office, ask for a bag and purchase it. One vet's assistant asked for my contact info so that she could print a receipt. Otherwise it was always a simple transaction. Nobody asked for a prescription.
Date: August 13, 2011 06:36PM
Ok, thanks for clarifying!

The cat in question has a recommendation/prescription for weight loss but another vet (in another city) says the diabetes diet is best now. I trust this latter vet.
Posted by: trisho.
Date: August 14, 2011 10:49AM
In all seriousness, that food isn't that great anyway. I fed my cats Nutro Max Cat when the ex and I were together and he still feeds them that. Check the ingredients on the Hill's then check Nutro.

trisho.
----------------
Official Card-Carrying Mother Earthin' Sl*t.
Date: August 14, 2011 03:23PM
Thanks Trisho, will have a look-see at Nutro.
Posted by: trisho.
Date: August 15, 2011 02:05AM
No prob. During the pet food scare a few years back, Nutro was one of the few not recalled.

trisho.
----------------
Official Card-Carrying Mother Earthin' Sl*t.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 226
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020