advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone using a Verizon/Motorola Droid X?
Posted by: GeneL
Date: August 15, 2011 12:44AM
Poll
What type of cellphone do you use?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
15 votes were received.
iPhone 9

60%
Android phone 5

33%
Windows phone 0

0%
Other (please describe below) 1

7%

I'm tired of waiting for the next iPhone and even more tired of not having a smart phone, so I've decided to bid on a Droid X on eBay.

I've played around with one at the Verizon store and liked it, especially for the huge screen.

A big attraction for me is that I won't have to sign up for a two year contract and if I decide to change carriers, I should be able to recover most of what I pay for it. Also. I'll still have the option using the two year contract to save on getting the next model iPhone if I feel that it's worth it.

I'm currently using a simple Motorola flip phone, but I grabbed the unlimited data plan before the deadline, so I should be in good shape to take full advantage of the Droid X's features.

I wondered if any of the forum members have any experience with this phone or any tips about using an Android based cell phone?

Thanks for any input. smiling smiley

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone using a Verizon/Motorola Droid X?
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: August 15, 2011 01:01AM
My son has the Droid X. My wife has the Droid Incredible 2 and I have the original Droid Incredible.

We all like the Android phones. I will consider the iPhone for Verizon on the next upgrade.

Some parts of the Droid X experience are not as nice as the Incredible. The "HTC Sense" overlay makes some Android features more sensible and pretty.

My son's Droid X (about one year old) is experiencing charging issues. if the battery is allowed to die all of the way, then charging issues occur. Specifically, the charger will not recognize the battery state and will not charge it. The workaround is to put the battery into another phone and get the charge jumpstarted.
Sometimes removing the battery and SD card will resolve that issue.

If i had to do it again...would still choose an Incedible.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: August 15, 2011 02:29AM
I did a quick search for both the Incredible that you have and for the Incredible 2.

One of the first things I read about the Incredible was this: "HTC: Droid Incredible 'not on the list' for Gingerbread upgrade."

I don't know if this is a deal breaker. What can you tell me?

Regarding the battery issue you described for your son's Droid X, do you know if this is a design flaw in all of the Droid X's or just in your son's phone?

I hate to say this, but after doing more searches for the DroidX 2, Incredible and Incredible 2 and the HTC ThunderBolt, I am more confused than ever.

It seems that I might be able to pick up any of these phones in good condition for around $150 to $200. I'm wondering if there are any other models that I should consider in that price range?

I should mention that the huge screen of the Droid X was what attracted me most to this model, but I'd be interested to see if other features could offset my desire for the biggest screen?

BTW, I'd rather keep it closer to $150 if I can.

Thanks from a bewildered GeneL. old fogey smiley

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: DP
Date: August 15, 2011 06:48AM
I got a Droid Incredible from craigslist and am happy with it and pagepluscellular.com for my service. A lot to learn on the new phone but doing fine otherwise.
Posted by: chopper
Date: August 15, 2011 07:26AM
I have a Droid X and am reasonably happy with it. The OS seems to get worse with every upgrade but every company seems to be doing that.

The deal breaker with me in getting an iPhone is that the navigation on my son's iPhone sucks, and the Voice Recognition isn't up to the level of android yet.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: August 15, 2011 07:41AM
chopper
I have a Droid X and am reasonably happy with it. The OS seems to get worse with every upgrade but every company seems to be doing that.

The deal breaker with me in getting an iPhone is that the navigation on my son's iPhone sucks, and the Voice Recognition isn't up to the level of android yet.

Yes, those are the exact two issues we have with the iPhone compared to Android.

In reference to GeneL's question about Droid X charging issues. It seems t be pretty widespread. Googling "droid X won't charge" gets many results. Gingerbread upgrade for the original incredible is not surprising. As someone else said, the OS upgrades have not added much...other than bloatware.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: JoeM
Date: August 15, 2011 08:14AM
I have had a Droid X on VZW for over a year now and it is a very decent phone. It does just about everything I need it to do and functions as a PDA for me. I did have some problems after Gingerbread update and ultimately wiped the phone and started over. Since then no major problems and I'm pretty happy with the GB upgrade now. No charging problems for me.

There is a Droid X 2 now which you should look at. Google for the differences between old and new to see if it is worthwhile for you.

JoeM
Date: August 15, 2011 02:53PM
JoeM
I have had a Droid X on VZW for over a year now and it is a very decent phone. It does just about everything I need it to do and functions as a PDA for me. I did have some problems after Gingerbread update and ultimately wiped the phone and started over. Since then no major problems and I'm pretty happy with the GB upgrade now. No charging problems for me.

There is a Droid X 2 now which you should look at. Google for the differences between old and new to see if it is worthwhile for you.

Thanks for your comments, Joe. It helped to hear that the charging issue isn't universal.

I initially chose the Droid X because it seemed to have a lot going for it when I looked it over at the Verizon store. As I said previously, the huge screen was tremendously appealing to me.

Until now, I hadn't investigated any other android phone and it seems that most would cost more than I can afford. That seems to be the biggest factor in my making a choice.

I can't tell if the Incredible or Incredible 2 would be more useful, feature-wise than the Droid X and I can't tell if I could get a Droid X 2 for what I can afford.

Right now I'm torn about what to do. There are a number of Droid X phones on eBay, that I think might go for what I want to spend. I just wish it was clear to me, which model to choose.

I'll continue to follow this topic to see if anyone else has some useful info for me.

Thanks to all who have posted their thoughts!

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: neophyte
Date: August 15, 2011 09:30PM
I've had my X for about a year. Never had a battery issue, though I have an extended battery and it never gets below about 20% charge. Never had any issue with it. I still have the original OS 2.2.1, never saw a reason to update it. About 60% of the VZW reps I work with have this model. It seems to have the least number of problems, based on the number of customers who come in with a problem on their android phone.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: August 15, 2011 09:37PM
As mentioned above, the HTC Sense UI on the Incredibles is a nicer/slicker experience than what you'd have on the Droid X but I find the Droid X with Gingerbread gets the job done.

I love the larger screen of the Droid X. It was one of the reasons I chose it. You can actually look at web sites with it and have a decent experience. It is one of the things putting me off going to an iPhone.

That being said, browsing is not as fast as I'd like but others tell me it isn't a problem for them on their Droid X. The new version is supposed to be a lot faster. You do have HDMI out with it, if that is something you are interested in.

I don't think the features would be very different, they are all Androids

JoeM
Date: August 15, 2011 11:54PM
In case you haven't seen my new thread, I just bought a Droid X on eBay!

I appreciate your comments, neophyte and Joe.

It's comforting to hear that the Droid X is a popular phone with folks that work at Verizon.

Joe. I agree about the "larger screen." As I've said, this was the feature that most attracted me to this model, after using the relatively tiny Palm Pixi Plus (a real piece of junk!) when I switched to Verizon.

I had been a Palm OS user for years, mostly because of the ease of syncing with my Macs. My first Palm OS device was a Sony Clie. It was a really good product.

Because I hated carrying two devices, I ended up with a Palm Treo 700P, which I quickly turned into a 755P. After a dozen replacements over two years, Sprint switched me to a Centro. More replacements, so I finally gave up and switched to Verizon. I should have known better than to go with the Palm Pixi Plus, but the price was right and I was comfortable with the Palm OS.

As I said in my thread about buying the Droid X, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it turns out to be a solid performer.

Have a good evening!

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 16, 2011 05:52PM
.....so in the words of JT [Justin Timberlake].....are you bringing Xy back......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 227
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020