Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
[IT] Your mailbox is over its size limit
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 16, 2011 03:03PM
I am about to send this note to the IT:

"Sending me these reminder messages every hour or so certainly does not help my mailbox stay below the size limit, does it?

Thank you.

space-time"
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: [IT] Your mailbox is over its size limit
Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 16, 2011 03:06PM
I've been getting one every day for the last week, and yes I have deleted stuff! The best is on Monday morning when there are 3 messages, 1am Sat, 1am Sun, 1am Mon.

At least at this job I get a 300MB mailbox which is definite improvement over the prior 50MB limit at the old one.
Posted by: Acer
Date: August 16, 2011 03:13PM
I get that message all the time. But it's not from MY IT person, who is me.

You have reached the storage limit on your mailbox.

You will not be able to send new mail until you updrade your email account.

Click on the below link to fill the account upgrade form.

[systemadministrator.******.com]

Technical Support Team

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2011 03:15PM by Acer.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 16, 2011 03:14PM
That's what local archives are for. Mu ha ha ha. Over 3TB and 15 years. Ask me anything. It's like my own personal memory, which is critical for me, since my biological memory is badly damaged.
Posted by: Winston
Date: August 16, 2011 03:17PM
Earthlink still has us at 100 MB. They are gradually forcing us over to Google Mail. If we ever move our email there completely there will be nothing to tie us to Earthlink. They don't seem to value customer relationships much.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: August 16, 2011 03:21PM
oh yeah, I have local archive going 10 years back. I just need to do this maybe once a month smiling smiley
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: August 16, 2011 03:35PM
I tried to implement a limit, but it so enraged users that I was shot down. It is really hard to make people realize that email is a communication platform and not a file system. I have user mailboxes over 1GB. I ask them to delete stuff and they throw a fit. I show them how to create a PST file to export their email off of the mail server and they just get even more angry. I don't understand what the feet-dragging is about. I know that some people deal with large files, but they should be moved out of email ASAP, or skip email entirely and do direct file transfer.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: decay
Date: August 16, 2011 03:48PM
i used to tell users that emailing giant attachments is like tying a letter to a brick; try to carry 100 of them to the post office in a satchel.

it wasn't unusual to see local Entourage databases over 6 or 8 or even 10 GB.

---
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: August 16, 2011 04:06PM
space-time

"Sending me these reminder messages every hour or so certainly does not help my mailbox stay below the size limit, does it?

Thank you.

space-time"

I'll have to remember that next time I design a car gas gauge for you.

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 16, 2011 04:08PM
my inbox is my legacy!

Date: August 16, 2011 04:08PM
Seacrest
space-time

Thank you.

space-time"

if the gas gause uses 1 pint of gas to tell me that I am running low on gas, then please DO NOT give me multiple warnings smiling smiley
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: August 16, 2011 04:12PM
I can understand, in some regard, keeping email "forever", but I don't see the point in keeping it in the Inbox.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 16, 2011 04:14PM
We had a teeny weeny mailbox limit so I set up a gmail account and had all my email automatically forwarded to it. That way I can keep my Inbox pretty sparse and still be a lazy bum.

Date: August 16, 2011 04:15PM
space-time
Seacrest
space-time

Thank you.

space-time"

if the gas gause uses 1 pint of gas to tell me that I am running low on gas, then please DO NOT give me multiple warnings smiling smiley

It warns you before you run out of gas, right?
And if you don't address it in time, consequences will never be the same.

Posted by: jdc
Date: August 16, 2011 04:51PM
ztirffritz
It is really hard to make people realize that email is a communication platform and not a file system.

I couldnt disagree more.

its a filing system for all of your communication. Ive got 30 custom email folders, at least as many rules and have it checking every one minute. 2/3 of my life seems to be built around email communication. even stuff from over a year ago can still be relevant.

In these days of $100 multi terabyte drives -- having a users email consume 1 gig of space is trivial.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 16, 2011 05:04PM
jdc
ztirffritz
It is really hard to make people realize that email is a communication platform and not a file system.

I couldnt disagree more.

its a filing system for all of your communication. Ive got 30 custom email folders, at least as many rules and have it checking every one minute. 2/3 of my life seems to be built around email communication. even stuff from over a year ago can still be relevant.

In these days of $100 multi terabyte drives -- having a users email consume 1 gig of space is trivial.

I'm with jdc. I can get 300 MB of legitimate data sent to me via my inbox during a 24 hour period of time. Writing a series of papers and grants - each 5-10MB in size - simply adds up. I clean out my inbox on a regular basis. But having a cap less than 1GB is very silly to me. I'd happily pay to add a TB to my storage.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: August 16, 2011 06:04PM
I used to use Outlook as a complete filing system. I traveled a lot and this way, I always had access to everything I needed to address/answer clients' needs. Then we got acquired and their policy is to archive anything over 90 days. It has made it very difficult to maintain an easy filing system that is even easier to search.
Posted by: rz
Date: August 16, 2011 06:11PM
Our cap at work is 50 MB. MEGABYTES! I get approximately 100-150 emails a day, many with multi-megabyte attachments. I guesstimate that I spend at least a hour a day trying to manage my inbox. It's ridiculous.
Posted by: Black
Date: August 16, 2011 08:28PM
jdc
ztirffritz

I couldnt disagree more.

agree smiley

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: August 16, 2011 08:33PM
What users don't understand is the database limit of Exchange servers. 2003 was something like 75GB, for the entire organization. We still have several customers on this system. Those that we have moved to 2007 or 2010 see an increase, but when you have that handful of users at 5-10GB+, it bogs the whole system. Sure you can get fancy and shuffle users around into different databases, but it becomes a management nightmare. It's just like data caps at Internet providers. Sure, hard drives are cheap. Sure, three cheap drives in a raid 5 is still not bad. But the limitation is the software (exchange).. Microsoft themselves will tell you to set a 150MB limit on all mailboxes. And on 2010 they wanted to hammer that point home so badly that they built the archiving function right into the server. gee, Thanks M$.

Sent from my iPad

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2011 08:33PM by blusubaru.
Date: August 16, 2011 08:40PM
blusubaru
What users don't understand is the database limit of Exchange servers.

BINGO.

people like to think about "their" email - it's the company's email.
you are but ONE person in an organization. i had to deal with idiots sending 20 MB powerpoint decks all day long, then bitching because their Entourage quits, won't load new emails, and so on.

job security for a support tech, though.

if you're self-employed, different story.

PS: my gmail account: Using 160 MB of your 7616 MB

---

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2011 08:41PM by decay.
Date: August 16, 2011 08:45PM
OK, so if the server has a limit of 75 GB, that's 70 users with 1GB mailboxes-- you still have 5 GB for everything else.
What's the problem?

Date: August 16, 2011 08:47PM
Black
OK, so if the server has a limit of 75 GB, that's 70 users with 1GB mailboxes-- you still have 5 GB for everything else.
What's the problem?

Shirley, you can't be serious.

Date: August 16, 2011 08:47PM
ztirffritz
I tried to implement a limit, but it so enraged users that I was shot down. It is really hard to make people realize that email is a communication platform and not a file system. I have user mailboxes over 1GB. I ask them to delete stuff and they throw a fit. I show them how to create a PST file to export their email off of the mail server and they just get even more angry. I don't understand what the feet-dragging is about. I know that some people deal with large files, but they should be moved out of email ASAP, or skip email entirely and do direct file transfer.

I have asked the guys at fastmail several times to add an option to strip and delete attachments from e-mails in a search, and they've agreed it's a good idea, but apparently I have not sufficiently motivated them to get it done.

Date: August 16, 2011 08:54PM
Black
I have asked the guys at fastmail several times to add an option to strip and delete attachments from e-mails in a search, and they've agreed it's a good idea, but apparently I have not sufficiently motivated them to get it done.

This is entirely do-able in Thunderbird.

Posted by: Grace62
Date: August 16, 2011 08:55PM
macphanatic
I used to use Outlook as a complete filing system. I traveled a lot and this way, I always had access to everything I needed to address/answer clients' needs. Then we got acquired and their policy is to archive anything over 90 days. It has made it very difficult to maintain an easy filing system that is even easier to search.

I absolutely love Outlook, which is what I use at home, tied in to my ancient Earthlink email address, running through Frontier Fios.
I have years of files on everything and as you said you never know when you'll need to go hunting for that year old email or someone's address. I go in periodically and delete the junk folders or other stuff I won't need, but no space restrictions rush me.
My employer switched from outlook to gmail; ugh.
Date: August 16, 2011 11:05PM
jdc
ztirffritz

I couldnt disagree more.

This is a totally reasonable belief...for a user. I'm not saying that you're wrong, at least, not from your perspective. From an administrative perspective, things are a bit different though. If you, as a single user, manage to cripple the mail server for an entire company because your mailbox is so bloated that it exceeds the capacity of the Exchange server then you better believe that I'm going to exact some draconian controls to preserve the server. If I have 80 users sitting idle because a user decided to email a 50mb file to 25 users then I'm going to be pissed in the extreme. Why? Because no one knows or cares why the mail server failed. They just know that it is my fault. User's don't understand that attachments shouldn't exceed a few megabytes at most. I've had users try to email CD ISO images and they completely crippled the mail server. That is what FTP or DropBox were created for. Again, I'll say that mail servers are not a file system. They are a communication platform. If you want to save your email, fine. Archive it outside of the mail system. Then you own it, and there is NOTHING that the administrator can do about.

Posted by: sekker
Date: August 17, 2011 12:02AM
I had no idea Exchange was this terrible.

Doesn't change the fact that my email is really an important method to send files securely.

My institution would be better off with gmail, frankly.
Date: August 17, 2011 12:16AM
sekker
I had no idea Exchange was this terrible.

Doesn't change the fact that my email is really an important method to send files securely.

My institution would be better off with gmail, frankly.

Exchange isn't this terrible. It is actually a pretty good tool. But users don't understand its purpose or its limitations. From an admin's perspective you don't use a screw driver to hammer a nail, but from a user's perspective, if all you have is a hammer then all the world is a nail.

Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: August 17, 2011 03:43AM
decay
people like to think about "their" email - it's the company's email.

Fine. Then the Goddam company needs to provide space to store their farking email!

I have a 29 MB limit. Ridiculous when my manager is constantly sending out multi-megabyte emails.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 17, 2011 06:49AM
I wondered yesterday how long it would take before the server software thing was mentioned.

ztirffritz
... That is what FTP or DropBox were created for. ...

It should be obvious it's not the user's responsibility to think of viable alternatives to limitations known to IT. And even if they knew about "FTP or DropBox" they can't set up an FTP server or even acquire Windows admin credentials to install software such as DropBox. Nor should they have to.

As has been mentioned, much of the communication and file sharing at an organization is done within the organization. Company wikis, FTP or other file sharing servers are all great things not apparently on Microsoft's menu, and so IT sees it (again apparently) out of their normal purview to investigate them, even when in the long run it helps them too.

I got another reminder of this way of thinking yesterday. My wife had to buy a MiniDisplayPort-to-VGA adapter, because VGA is the only cable snaking out from behind a big monitor at work. "Is it a new-ish monitor?" I asked. "It should have a digital connection, too, like DVI or DisplayPort."

She asked the IT dude, who only has VGA and HDMI (seemingly) on his laptop. "No, computers are going all-HDMI in the future."
Posted by: Winston
Date: August 17, 2011 07:25AM
Seems to me the problem is that email client software doesn't tell users not to send large attachments. This wasn't a problem when everyone was on dialup, or even 10 Base-T ethernet. But with gigabit ethernet and the internet connection speeds some people get now, sending a 30 MB file by email doesn't seem unreasonable for a user.

If email systems (Exchange server) can't handle large attachments, the tools used to send those attachments should be where the limit takes place. Or those tools should be modified to have an alternative (like using FTP built in).

Email software hasn't kept up with the network capability. That's the fault of software vendors and IT departments, not users.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: August 17, 2011 08:23AM
IT should have access-controlled server shares available for large file transfer.

emailing large attachments may be easy and convenient for the user, but that doesn't mean it's the right way to do it.

computer users with limited tech experience and/or knowledge have no idea there are limitations on the system they are using. someone tells them to send a file, they do it because their job depends on it.

IT must educate their users on the proper way to use the systems available. users must learn and comply. else, trouble.

---
Date: August 17, 2011 08:26AM
decay
users must learn and comply. else, trouble.

Typical IT attitude.

"We're here to tell you what to do! Not give you the resources to do it! I am Mordac, the Preventer of Information Services!"
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: August 17, 2011 08:49AM
Winston
If email systems (Exchange server) can't handle large attachments, the tools used to send those attachments should be where the limit takes place. Or those tools should be modified to have an alternative (like using FTP built in).
- Winston

Agreed. But there is no vehicle for the client software to communicate with the server software on that level. The server can scan it when it gets the request to process it, see it, and flip it back if it's over the preset limit. If there's no limit, then that's the fault of IT. Exchange has a built in limit of 10MB per message. You have to opt OUT of that to get anything larger and it's a mistake to do it. That said, some people are so damn insistent that you have to bend (management). Then, the whole system comes crashing down when some idiot forwards a downloaded video.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 17, 2011 10:21AM
Lux Interior
decay

Typical IT attitude.

"We're here to tell you what to do! Not give you the resources to do it! I am Mordac, the Preventer of Information Services!"

That isn't fair, Lux. Everything else in decay's post clearly showed he doesn't share that attitude.
Date: August 17, 2011 12:46PM
IT attitude, eh?

so if your car was running slowly, and couldn't get up hills, accellerate, mileage was lousy - and i told you "well, the back is full of cinder blocks and your tires are underinflated," you'd blame ME for the way YOU kept your car running?

within certain paramaters, you can expect trouble. this is true with mechanicals or computers.

try filling your hard drive to 99% and see how that works. then blame Apple or Seagate for your unwillingness to back up data or install a larger hard drive.

---
Posted by: silvarios
Date: August 17, 2011 04:00PM
sekker
jdc
ztirffritz

I couldnt disagree more.

I'm with jdc. I can get 300 MB of legitimate data sent to me via my inbox during a 24 hour period of time. Writing a series of papers and grants - each 5-10MB in size - simply adds up. I clean out my inbox on a regular basis. But having a cap less than 1GB is very silly to me. I'd happily pay to add a TB to my storage.

What jdc, sekker, and Black still aren't getting is that email really isn't meant to be a file transfer protocol. If you were receiving plain text email, even 50MB would work quite well for most people.
Date: August 17, 2011 04:10PM
Seacrest
Black
What's the problem?

Shirley, you can't be serious.

No kidding. Never mind the fact the email has to be backed up, so that's 210GB (two local, one offsite) just for idiots to send attachments instead of using the file transfer protocols.
Date: August 17, 2011 04:11PM
Winston
Email software hasn't kept up with the network capability. That's the fault of software vendors and IT departments, not users.

Fault of IT to a large degree. As mentioned, there are ways to configure settings so everything works relatively smoothly. This is not always done correctly.
Date: August 17, 2011 04:13PM
deckeda
Lux Interior
decay

Typical IT attitude.

That isn't fair, Lux. Everything else in decay's post clearly showed he doesn't share that attitude.

Lux,
I agree with deckeda, you completely missed the point.
Date: August 17, 2011 04:13PM
decay
IT should have access-controlled server shares available for large file transfer.

IT must educate their users on the proper way to use the systems available. users must learn and comply. else, trouble.

Yes.
Date: August 17, 2011 04:19PM
Lux Interior
I have a 29 MB limit. Ridiculous when my manager is constantly sending out multi-megabyte emails.

Yep. You are spot on with that statement, the lack of proper resource training runs up and down the totem pole. Seemingly, company's are less interested in making people use the tools properly and more interested with team building rallies and celebrating everyone's birthday. It is simple really, help me be as efficient as possible and cut the check at the end of the day. We don't have to be friends.
Date: August 17, 2011 04:20PM
deckeda
As has been mentioned, much of the communication and file sharing at an organization is done within the organization. Company wikis, FTP or other file sharing servers are all great things not apparently on Microsoft's menu, and so IT sees it (again apparently) out of their normal purview to investigate them, even when in the long run it helps them too.

Yes. The company should have everything configured already, but I have seen first hand (NOT in an IT role mind you) employees continually abuse company resources, even when proper tools are on hand. If properly configured, much of the damage can be mitigated, but there are always edge cases. Too often employees are not fired for such intentional undermining of their employer's infrastructure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2011 04:20PM by silvarios.
Date: August 18, 2011 04:24AM
decay
IT attitude, eh?

so if your car was running slowly, and couldn't get up hills, accellerate, mileage was lousy - and i told you "well, the back is full of cinder blocks and your tires are underinflated," you'd blame ME for the way YOU kept your car running?

Okay, sorry! I took a cheap shot!

I wasn't really trying to single you out, just that last snippet that is indicative of the attitude of less, uh, smart IT-type managers.

I'm talking about the kind that would tell you not to drive your car up hills and take away your tires. Not the kind that try and help you use your tools to get your work done.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 164
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018