advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Is there a limit to number of paired bluetooth devices?
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: August 17, 2011 08:51AM
MacBook Pro 13 uni. Paired devices: Apple Bluetooth Keyboard, Magic Trackpad, headphone/mic, iPhone 4. My keyboard is randomly going in and out of connected/disconnected. It's not battery related. The music in the headphones is not choppy, so that doesn't seem to indicate saturation of bluetooth bandwidth.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is there a limit to number of paired bluetooth devices?
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: August 17, 2011 08:55AM
Somebody can correct me if I am wrong, but a 'computer' (in the traditional-sense, with a 'full' OS of sorts) should be able to pair with infinite devices. Now that doesn't mean you'd be able to use them (reliably, anyway) all at the same time - say if you had 50 devices paired.

On the other hand, the Bluetooth device is limited to how many computers it can pair to by the hardware, and usually that depends on the type of device it is, as well (two+ being common these days).

Posted by: Cary
Date: August 17, 2011 09:46AM
From Wikipedia:

A master Bluetooth device can communicate with a maximum of seven devices in a piconet (an ad-hoc computer network using Bluetooth technology), though not all devices support this limit. The devices can switch roles, by agreement, and the slave can become the master (for example, a headset initiating a connection to a phone will necessarily begin as master, as initiator of the connection; but may subsequently prefer to be slave).

The Bluetooth Core Specification provides for the connection of two or more piconets to form a scatternet, in which certain devices simultaneously play the master role in one piconet and the slave role in another.

At any given time, data can be transferred between the master and one other device (except for the little-used broadcast mode). The master chooses which slave device to address; typically, it switches rapidly from one device to another in a round-robin fashion. Since it is the master that chooses which slave to address, whereas a slave is (in theory) supposed to listen in each receive slot, being a master is a lighter burden than being a slave. Being a master of seven slaves is possible; being a slave of more than one master is difficult. The specification is vague as to required behaviour in scatternets.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 17, 2011 10:00AM
Getting more than five to work reliably can be a real pain.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 17, 2011 11:08AM
....the SMURFS might be able to help answer this.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Black
Date: August 18, 2011 01:47AM
blusubaru
MacBook Pro 13 uni. Paired devices: Apple Bluetooth Keyboard, Magic Trackpad, headphone/mic, iPhone 4. My keyboard is randomly going in and out of connected/disconnected. It's not battery related. The music in the headphones is not choppy, so that doesn't seem to indicate saturation of bluetooth bandwidth.

Is there a chance it accidentally paired to a mac in another room? PITA I've had to deal with repeatedly.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 197
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018