advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Lowly But Essential Quicksilver Won't Boot
Posted by: MysteryGuest
Date: August 17, 2011 06:18PM
Talk to me, people. Quicksilver won't boot. Shuts off right after startup. Grey screen, apple, wheelie, unceremonious shut down.

Prior events, freeze on beach ball, then this. Installed a new drive about 2 months ago. Thing hasn't really run right since. Random freezes. Four or five directory repairs or rebuilds. My tech swears it's not the drive, hardware tests okay, but I've been really doubtful, about to send it back to Western Digital, especially today when I began to hear faint clicking noises.

Nobody's going to sue ya, just give me some guesses.

Caveats: no, I shouldn't put any more money into this box. And believe me, I wouldn't if I had any money at all to replace it. Yes, not an open box kind of person, so work will be done by someone else.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Lowly But Essential Quicksilver Won't Boot
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 17, 2011 06:46PM
Try some of this stuff here, [support.apple.com] including Safe Boot, disconnecting extraneous stuff etc.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: August 17, 2011 07:03PM
Pull the drive and see if it will start from an external?
Posted by: PeterB
Date: August 17, 2011 07:10PM
From your description, I would consider doing the following:

1) "Deep" PRAM reset

2) Replace PRAM battery

3) Apple Hardware Test CD ... not sure if that's what you meant by "hardware tests" ... run both short and long tests

4) Change IDE cable

5) Run DW

6) Nuke and pave

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: decay
Date: August 17, 2011 07:20PM
does it boot and stay running from a DVD?

---
Posted by: Winston
Date: August 17, 2011 08:01PM
MysteryGuest
Talk to me, people. Quicksilver won't boot. Shuts off right after startup. Grey screen, apple, wheelie, unceremonious shut down.

Sounds to me like it's not finding the hard drive, or the OS on the hard drive, at startup.

I like PeterB's idea of checking the drive connector/cable. Those are easy to damage when removed from a drive, especially if they don't have a pull tab on them, which most don't.

But it might just be a bad OS install.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: August 17, 2011 09:02PM
It wouldn't just shut down if it was the hard drive. I agree with others - will it run and stay running when booted from optical disc? Otherwise I would be more focused on the power supply. Random shutdowns are not indicative of any other type of hardware failure when not accompanied by other symptoms (kp, beeps at startup, etc.).
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: August 17, 2011 09:32PM
MysteryGuest
Quicksilver won't boot. Shuts off right after startup. Grey screen, apple, wheelie, unceremonious shut down... Installed a new drive about 2 months ago. Thing hasn't really run right since...Four or five directory repairs or rebuilds...began to hear faint clicking noises.

Bad drive and/or severe file system damage. Use Disk Utility to check both.

The cause may be a defective drive ab initio, a bad hardware installation e.g. improper jumper setting or bad cable, or a problem that occurred during data transfer from the old drive to the new one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2011 09:35PM by Article Accelerator.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: August 17, 2011 10:02PM
blusubaru
It wouldn't just shut down if it was the hard drive. I agree with others - will it run and stay running when booted from optical disc? Otherwise I would be more focused on the power supply. Random shutdowns are not indicative of any other type of hardware failure when not accompanied by other symptoms (kp, beeps at startup, etc.).

On the Quicksilvers, I've most frequently seen immediate shutdowns from problems with the PRAM getting corrupted, usually as a result of the machine not having been properly shut down. Doing a "deep" PRAM reset usually fixes it. Second most frequent cause: hard drive directory corruption.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2011 10:02PM by PeterB.
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: August 17, 2011 11:31PM
My guess:

Your Mac has an aging power supply that can't handle the power-draw anymore. The new drive just tipped the scale.

If you can start up and deep-sleep/wake normally after disconnecting all non-boot hard drives, removing PCI cards and disconnecting all USB and FW devices except an Apple wired keyboard & mouse then it's likely that your PSU is too weak for your gear.

In that case, you should be able to keep 'er going for awhile longer with some experimentation to see what maxes out the power supply. For example, maybe you can keep it going with one less internal hard drive or with nothing connected to the FireWire ports on startup or with all of your USB devices connected through a powered hub.
Posted by: MysteryGuest
Date: August 18, 2011 02:22AM
Many thanks to all for the guesswork. I'll keep you posted.
Posted by: DRR
Date: August 18, 2011 08:46AM
One last guess - heatsink has become loose.

After unceremonious shutdown, does it start up again right away? If not, and it takes a little time for you to try troubleshooting (like making sure cables are plugged in, scratching your head, etc) and then it starts up again? Heatsink.

On older macs the connection between the CPU and heatsink can go bad, whether it's the physical connection, or the eventual degradation of the thermal paste/tape/glue/whatever.

What happens is that the heatsink can no longer transfer heat away from the CPU properly. So you start up, everything seems normal, but after a little while the heat buildup in the processor becomes so great that it just craps out. After it craps out you scratch your head and check cables, giving it enough time to cool down to a reasonable temperature. You finish checking cables, hit the power button, and the whole cycle starts again.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 18, 2011 11:21AM
blusubaru
It wouldn't just shut down if it was the hard drive.

Yes they will. I see that all the time. It is a sign of serious disk corruption or a bad disk. It starts to load the system kernel its an error and the computer does a hard restart.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Mike V
Date: August 19, 2011 05:51AM
I always had PRAM problems with my Quicksilver. It would get flakey with a flat PRAM battery.

However it used to have trouble booting, not random shutdowns.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 174
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018