The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
My Droid X has landed…
Posted by: GeneL
Date: August 20, 2011 08:38PM
Poll
Which smartphone do you use?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
21 votes were received.
iPhone 14

67%
Android phone 7

33%
Other 0

0%

It came in the mail today!

I'm very excited, but I can see there's a lot for me to learn about this new smartphone.

Typing on its virtual keyboard has been difficult, but I had the same issue with both the iPhone and the iPad. Hitting the keys just right is a challenge. Perhaps it will get easier with time?

As I said, there's a lot to learn, so I won't say much else right now, except that the Droid X has a beautiful huge screen. I can't wait to download the Slingbox app that will allow me to access my Cox cables' programming, on the Droid!

Between wi-fi access and slingbox, the only thing in the way of total cellphone media access will be battery life. Don't most wi-fi enabled places like Starbucks have a way to plug in?

You think that I wasn't getting enough sleep previously? What's it going to be like now?

Thanks for your thoughts!

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: My Droid X has landed…
Posted by: btfc
Date: August 20, 2011 08:52PM
[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: vision63
Date: August 20, 2011 08:53PM
I know they seem suspicious, but I use these batteries all the time on my Evo and now my Nexus S 4G. I have 6 of 'em for the Evo and 3 for the Nexus. I don't usually need them, but they came in really handy when I was in Tahoe a month or so back. Every now and again, I need at least one. $12.95 + free shipping. There are more "regular" battery choices out there too.

[www.ebay.com]

Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 20, 2011 08:57PM
i can't switch to android until it has cat paint

Date: August 20, 2011 09:56PM
While I was waiting for the phone, I did some searching and extra batteries seem to be one of the most popular accessories.

I can already see how fast this phone uses its battery power.

I have seen that there are ways to deactivate apps, but I don't know my way around enough to do that.

Doesn't the extended battery back kind of spoil the lines of the phone? Also, how do you charge the extra batteries?

As I said, thee's so much for me to learn.

What about screen protectors? What do you recommend? Should I get a case or a skin? What kind and which is better?

I'm really a babe in the woods with all this.

First thing Mavis asked, "Does it have Words with Friends?" What did I say!

Now, if I can figure out how to download it.

Keep the suggestions coming. please.

GeneL

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: JoeM
Date: August 20, 2011 09:56PM
Turn the phone on it's side to type, it's a bit easier. Also, try swipe for the keyboard method. You might find that easier.

JoeM
Date: August 20, 2011 09:58PM
JoeM
Turn the phone on it's side to type, it's a bit easier. Also, try swipe for the keyboard method. You might find that easier.

Good tip.

The batteries I mentioned come with a charger.
Date: August 20, 2011 10:40PM
JoeM

I asked a Verizon rep about that when I needed help activating over the air. He told me that I needed to add an app for that. Was he wrong?

btw, what do you mean by swipe the keyboard method?

Joe, do you have a Droid X?

gl @ Dana Point, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2011 10:42PM by GeneL.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: August 20, 2011 11:05PM
GeneL
JoeM

I asked a Verizon rep about that when I needed help activating over the air. He told me that I needed to add an app for that. Was he wrong?

btw, what do you mean by swipe the keyboard method?

Joe, do you have a Droid X?

Yes, I have one. You don't need any special app to rotate the screen. Try it. If it doesn't rotate you need to go into your settings and turn it on. Hit the bottom key furthest to the left, select Settings>Display>turn on Auto-rotate screen.

For Swype:
Settings>Language & Keyboard>there under Keyboard settingd-Input method, select Swype. Swype settings are right underneath, check them out.

JoeM
Posted by: decocritter
Date: August 20, 2011 11:36PM
Swype and Voice text/search work great.

I had no battery issues until i did the most recent update on the EVO, can't figure out what is draining the battery
Date: August 21, 2011 05:45AM
I can see that I'm going to need lessons!

First, I have to ask about the update that is being presented to me. I've read on an Android forum that some users didn't like the update to "gingerbread?" Did I have that name right?

The thing is, there's no mention of "froyo" or "gingerbread" in the update.

It says that update (4.5.602.en.US) has been downloaded and is ready to install. Installation will take up to 7 minutes.

DO I WANT TO INSTALL THIS UPDATE?

I've tapped "install later," but I'd really like to know what I'm getting in this update? What System do I have now? Is this something that I should install? If I don't want to install the update, how do I get rid of it?

I have seen the many functions available in the settings menu. That was one of the first things I did after getting the Droid X, but not being familiar with the choices and what settings would be best for me, I left everything alone, for now.

I AM able to rotate the screen and was typing in the landscape mode, but it was difficult to hit the letter just right. I am getting a bit better though as I become more accustomed to the process.

OTOH, I have no idea what you both mean by swipe or swype and Voice text/search.

Okay, I found Swype and tried it. I'm afraid I don't know the keyboard well enough to do the moves correctly. I'll have to stick with the regular multi-touch keyboard for now.

I'd love to be able to voice dial from my contacts,but I can't see my contacts without tapping on a generic avatar in my contact list. When the contact comes up, there's only information, but no way to actually dial.

I just can't figure this out by myself, and I'm usually very good at seeing my way through "puzzles like this. No doubt, in time I'll get it all sorted out. I'd just like to be able to get there faster on my own.

Did I ask about what screen protector you all recommend and how about a case or "skin?"

One biggie, as I mentioned before, I wanted to download Words with Friends for Mavis, but when I saw all the requirements that the developer wanted access to, I couldn't see how I could agree.

"Permissions:

Storage -modify/delete SD card contents
Phone calls-Read phone state and identity
Network communication-full internet access
Your personal information-read contact data
Network communication- view network state
Hardware controls- control vibrator"

These permissions weren't nearly as insidious as the ones that came up when I tried to download this app from Verizon's app store.
They wanted permission to be able to do and see all my personal data and to erase and change my personal data and contacts, etc. What they wanted permission to know and to alter made me wonder how anyone would agree to their terms.

What have you done about agreements that seemed overwhelmingly intrusive?

I'd appreciate suggestions on how to deal with downloading apps?

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: Fritz
Date: August 21, 2011 08:18AM
v63, do you happen to know if these will work with an HTC Sensation?
Date: August 21, 2011 10:34AM
Fritz
v63, do you happen to know if these will work with an HTC Sensation?

I just checked on Ebay and found this for $10.95 and includes a charger:

[www.ebay.com]

Date: August 21, 2011 12:14PM
GeneL
I can see that I'm going to need lessons!

First, I have to ask about the update that is being presented to me. I've read on an Android forum that some users didn't like the update to "gingerbread?" Did I have that name right?

The thing is, there's no mention of "froyo" or "gingerbread" in the update.

It says that update (4.5.602.en.US) has been downloaded and is ready to install. Installation will take up to 7 minutes.

DO I WANT TO INSTALL THIS UPDATE?

I've tapped "install later," but I'd really like to know what I'm getting in this update? What System do I have now? Is this something that I should install? If I don't want to install the update, how do I get rid of it?

I have seen the many functions available in the settings menu. That was one of the first things I did after getting the Droid X, but not being familiar with the choices and what settings would be best for me, I left everything alone, for now.

I AM able to rotate the screen and was typing in the landscape mode, but it was difficult to hit the letter just right. I am getting a bit better though as I become more accustomed to the process.

OTOH, I have no idea what you both mean by swipe or swype and Voice text/search.

Okay, I found Swype and tried it. I'm afraid I don't know the keyboard well enough to do the moves correctly. I'll have to stick with the regular multi-touch keyboard for now.

I'd love to be able to voice dial from my contacts,but I can't see my contacts without tapping on a generic avatar in my contact list. When the contact comes up, there's only information, but no way to actually dial.

I just can't figure this out by myself, and I'm usually very good at seeing my way through "puzzles like this. No doubt, in time I'll get it all sorted out. I'd just like to be able to get there faster on my own.

Did I ask about what screen protector you all recommend and how about a case or "skin?"

One biggie, as I mentioned before, I wanted to download Words with Friends for Mavis, but when I saw all the requirements that the developer wanted access to, I couldn't see how I could agree.

"Permissions:

Storage -modify/delete SD card contents
Phone calls-Read phone state and identity
Network communication-full internet access
Your personal information-read contact data
Network communication- view network state
Hardware controls- control vibrator"

These permissions weren't nearly as insidious as the ones that came up when I tried to download this app from Verizon's app store.
They wanted permission to be able to do and see all my personal data and to erase and change my personal data and contacts, etc. What they wanted permission to know and to alter made me wonder how anyone would agree to their terms.

What have you done about agreements that seemed overwhelmingly intrusive?

I'd appreciate suggestions on how to deal with downloading apps?

Sign into the Android Market online. [market.android.com] It's a simpler way to hunt for apps. Make sure you download the free version of a program called "Lookout." It will scan your apps and keep you free from virus' and the like. It is a must-have app.

As far as permissions go, I have to say I haven't concerned myself about that. In your permissions example, it mentions reading your contact info, not erasing. I've not ever seen that in any permissions, but I could be wrong. If there is a nefarious app in the market, it's usually noted by the community. I check [androidcentral.com] fairly often and use their forums for questions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2011 12:15PM by vision63.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: August 21, 2011 02:31PM
cool. thanks
Posted by: neophyte
Date: August 22, 2011 09:47AM
Those permissions allow the app to detect incoming calls and texts and emails, etc, so it will interrupt the game to let you know.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 246
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020