advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Recommend Cancun hotel?
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: August 26, 2011 11:09AM
Mr. Prymsnap and I are planning a stay in Tulum, Mexico early next year. En route back to the states we will spend one or two nights in Cancun as that's the airline transportation hub. Any suggestions for a Cancun hotel or resort?

We are not the spring break type and prefer relative calm. Budget approx. $200/night but less that that would be lovely too.

Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Recommend Cancun hotel?
Posted by: pinion
Date: August 26, 2011 12:16PM
I'm not sure if you can do nightly but we stayed a week in the Moon Palace. It was freaking amazing.

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Posted by: maco
Date: August 26, 2011 12:53PM
Have a great trip. Had some great trips to that part of the world. I used to fly to Merida or Cancun and would rent a car. I would drive all over taking in the archeological sights. I especially liked Palenque. Here is Uxmal.

Posted by: rich in distress
Date: August 26, 2011 12:56PM
I've never been there, but members of my family swear by the presidente intercontinental cancun.

• back to confinement

Posted by: zeppo2
Date: August 26, 2011 01:05PM
I've stayed at the Hyatt there, usually getting it for much less than $200 by bidding on Priceline. The rooms were very nice and the place pretty quiet, as i recall. It makes a good stop before heading to the airport or heading south.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 26, 2011 01:32PM
staying at the Papaya Playa perchance?

for a decently priced Cancun hotel, try downtown. plus, it's not noisy if you get into the city center a bit and off the main drags. you'll be able to walk around the zocalo and still be able to get to the beaches on the strip with a not-too-expensive cab ride (or take the bus). also, try some authentic quintana roo cooking (can't find the restaurant name at the moment but I'll look)

this is the restaurant that has the real deal food:
[www.labna.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2011 02:02PM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: Manlove
Date: August 26, 2011 07:21PM
maco
Have a great trip. Had some great trips to that part of the world. I used to fly to Merida or Cancun and would rent a car. I would drive all over taking in the archeological sights. I especially liked Palenque. Here is Uxmal.

We are going as a family to the Yucatan this February coming. I've heard that car rental is not a great idea, mainly due to insurance issues. Is this not the case?
Any info appreciated.
And I'm not thread-jacking, I also am looking for Cancun hotels for a few days before heading inland or down the coast.
My parents are flying from the UK and we are coming from the PNW.
Thanks.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: August 26, 2011 07:25PM
I've had a lot of luck with bookit.com for Caribbean hotels/resorts. Great customer service, which I wouldn't have expected from (a) a discounter, or (b) a company based in Panama City Beach (hey, back off... I used to live there).
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: August 26, 2011 07:51PM
Thanks, folks. I appreciate all suggestions.

Maco's photo is sweet!

I suspect that after we get the Cancun hotel issue resolved, my next query will revolve around a pocketable camera that's way more portable than my DSLR and significantly better quality than my aging point-and-shoot. Love the idea of photographing the ruins but don't want to worry about/lug a DSLR. There are so many micro 4/3 options, my head is spinning.

But that will be another thread ;)
Posted by: stephen
Date: August 26, 2011 11:08PM
For a taste of something a little different, consider two nights at the Club Med. It's one of the closest resorts to the airport, and you get to meet some interesting people from around the world.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 229
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020