advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $100.97 ( +0.11 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
[Irene] why put "X" masking tape on windows?
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 27, 2011 06:42PM
I saw on TV that most people cover the windows with ply wood, but I also some some retail places where instead of plywood they had some white tape, probably masking tape going across, like an X and then also a horizontal line. What does that do? how does it protect the glass?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: [Irene] why put "X" masking tape on windows?
Posted by: mrthuse
Date: August 27, 2011 06:47PM
It doesn't protect the glass; it keeps the glass somewhat intact if it blows in. Instead of shattering and blowing out everywhere, the tape helps hold the broken glass together.

It may strengthen the glass slightly, but i don't believe enough to stop the shattering.
Posted by: Trouble
Date: August 27, 2011 06:47PM
Posted by: Dakota
Date: August 27, 2011 06:54PM
I think it is one of those urban legends.

After you discover you're riding a dead horse, your best strategy is to dismount.
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: August 27, 2011 07:36PM
It may keep the glass from shattering & save you from shrapnel, but it can also cause the glass to blow further into your house as a big projectile in a gust.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 27, 2011 07:41PM
Duh! It's a friggin' target.... "X" marks the spot.

///
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 27, 2011 07:59PM
Mechanically, it DOES provide a slightly stronger surface against high wind. Hollywood aside, glass is more often broken by flying debris. Tape won't help that.

I can recall riding out the 1972 Long Island hurricane, but my grandparent's house had real storm shutters, and we closed 'em before the storm hit. Not those fake plastic stick-on decorative ones.
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: August 27, 2011 08:03PM
It provides biaxially oriented strength, just as the fibers of wood do or the orientation of polymer molecules.

Except this is done at a macro-level to provide that larger surface away from the edges (that have frame
support) with additional strength to bow without breaking. Especially for so many windows that aren't made
of tempered glass.

That's after being in the south since 1986, and 10 years of hurricanes in FL.......
Posted by: Forrest
Date: August 27, 2011 08:44PM
Trouble, thanks for the X-Files reference. Has the CSM shown up yet?
Posted by: artie67
Date: August 27, 2011 11:22PM
More often used in mirror removal. When the mirror is glued to the wall surface with mirror mastic it is removed by sliding putty knife tools to cut the glue bond. Tape is used on smaller medicine cabinets and doors. Larger mirrors get plastic covering and floor protection.
Posted by: decocritter
Date: August 28, 2011 12:29AM
My dad just used plywood, and we kept it around for the next storm.
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: August 28, 2011 01:14AM
[www.aoml.noaa.gov]

Subject: C7) Should I tape my windows when a hurricane threatens?

Contributed by Chris Landsea

No, it is a waste of effort, time, and tape. It offers little strength to the glass and NO protection against flying debris. After the storm passes you will spend many a hot summer afternoon trying to scrape the old, baked-on tape off your windows (assuming they weren't shattered). Once a Hurricane Warning has been issued you would be better off spending your time putting up shutters over doors and windows.
Posted by: billb
Date: August 28, 2011 01:33PM
It doesn't do anything beyond helping reduce the possibilty of huge chunks of glass going flying.
Waste of tape on big windows made of safety glass.

Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: August 28, 2011 02:18PM
Check out the gallery of Gotham's taped windows at [eetheridge.posterous.com] . Why, they even document the Apple Store's precautions.

Taping glass makes cleanup easier, but I would think if a hurricane breaks your window, cleanup will be a bitch regardless.

That's a lot of pesto.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login