advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $106.85 ( -0.49 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Damn Flippin' Heel Spur! Do They *EVER* Heal On Their Own?
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: August 29, 2011 01:42PM
Or will I have to go to a podiatrist to get relief? It's been about a year since it's been bothering me. Some days more than others. I wear a gel heel pad that gives some cushioning, but I notice that I'm now walking improperly and it may be aggravating my chronic knee and hip pain.

Anyone have a sure fire cure, or at least maybe something to take the "edge" off? The "innernet" seems to be full of snake oil remedies.

Help me heal the heel!!

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Damn Flippin' Heel Spur! Do They *EVER* Heal On Their Own?
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: August 29, 2011 01:46PM
Are you sure it's a heal spur?

My wife had an issue with her heal, don't remember if it was a heal spur though. She rolled her foot over a golf ball for about 15 minutes every night for a week. A few weeks later, the problem was gone.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 29, 2011 01:47PM
"Heel Spur" is normally a 'name' for Plantar Fasciitis. I've had it' My wife has had it. The actual calcium 'spur' that grows on your talus is a symptom of a wider condition, not the cause.

This guy's site saved my feet.
[heelspurs.com]

I strongly recommend it. For my wife, surgery (tarsal tunnel and plantar fasciitis release) was necessary. For me... I've kept it at bay with memory foam inserts and morning stretches.
Date: August 29, 2011 01:49PM
Almost certain it is. It's just a tiny dot, everything around it is painless. If I put pressure on the dot, Yeouch!! So I try to avoid putting pressure on that area and it's causing me to walk off kilter.

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 29, 2011 01:53PM
Rick-

Plantar Fasciitis feels the same way. Believe me.. been there. It feels like you stepped on a nail, every time you put your foot down.

Of course see a podiatrist, but read up on PF first. Some foot doc like to cut right away, some want you to stretch it out.

Oh, and fair warning.. it takes MONTHS to get better. Sorry..
Date: August 29, 2011 01:56PM
Thanks cbelt, I'll check that site out. I've heard surgery is one solution, but I would like to avoid that if possible.

I've been bothered by this for about a year and I want it to go away! Fun is fun, but this isn't fun at all.

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: rz
Date: August 29, 2011 02:33PM
I've had PF. It took several months but it finally went away.

My wife has bone spurs on her heel. She's had 2 cortisone shots so far, and she said the doctor would do up to 4 before he considers surgery.
Posted by: lazydays
Date: August 29, 2011 02:46PM
I found PF for years. In the end the solution was a combination of custom orthotics and yoga stretches. Between the two I am almost pain free. Before I could barely walk from my desk to the office photo copier. I was considering a cane even.
Posted by: wowzer
Date: August 29, 2011 02:58PM
I used a golf ball to roll under my feet several times a day, a few minutes each time. It seemed to have gotten rid of my PF. One golf ball under each foot...roll where it hurts--just not too hard. YMMV.

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Posted by: haikuman
Date: August 29, 2011 03:08PM
Having A good X Rays can help define the location and extent of a spur.
# good view are suggested. However that said often the best view can help
to delineate the extent of your problem is a good soft tissue lateral of your foot/Os Calcis/Calcaneus.

You might be able to zoom in for better detail on the jpegs.

Rudie

[www.northcoastfootcare.com]

[heelspurs.com]

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2011 03:12PM by haikuman.
Posted by: Fred_Also
Date: August 29, 2011 04:16PM
My doctor sold me these at about double the price. They do seem to help.
[www.amazon.com]

Fred
Posted by: haikuman
Date: August 29, 2011 04:30PM
I will try to fix my typing. I posted very early in the morning here.

Having good X Rays can help define the location and extent of a spur.
3 good views are suggested. However that said, often the best view that can help
to delineate the extent of your problem is a good soft tissue lateral of your foot/Os Calcis/Calcaneus.

You might be able to zoom in for better detail on the jpegs.

Mods feel free to remove my 1st post *(:>*

Rudie

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2011 04:34PM by haikuman.
Posted by: tortoise
Date: August 29, 2011 04:32PM
I had the problem some 25 years ago when I was in my forties and working long hours on concrete, went to a podiatrist and got the usual cortisone shots and custom orthotics. Was not much help but fortunately I got promoted to management position sitting at a desk and the problem disappeared in short order. A few years ago I started walking in effort to lose weight and problem returned after first year of exercise. went to a local "Foot Solutions" franchise store where they took computer measurement of my feet and created a custom full foot orthotic inserts and sold me new quality shoes and promised that it would keep me away from the podiatrist and his cortisone needle and hard plastic orthotics. As I remember it took about six months before the pain was all the way gone and three years later I am still fine. I also lost 50 lbs which no doubt helped relieve the stress on the heel. Bottom line good quality shoes, computer fitted foam orthotics and lose some weight if needed. I now do 50 mile bike rides and three miles daily on the walking circuit and am completely pain free.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 29, 2011 05:23PM
....you have to SPUR them on with enthusiasm/clapping......??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: kanesa
Date: August 29, 2011 06:29PM
There's a lot of good suggestions here. I've had PF several times. My suggestions are exercise (the golf ball is good), stretching, icing the heel, and regular use of an anti-inflammatory. It does go away but you have to work at it. Arch supports are very important. My orthopedist told me there isn't a shoe made with a good arch support.
Posted by: Michael
Date: August 29, 2011 06:43PM
Years ago, I watched my daughter's podiatrist put her feet in an orthotic mold for pronation. It took a minute and 3 weeks $350 later we had her orthotics.

When I got PF and went through the exercises and cortisone shots without help, my doc suggested that I get some custom orthotics to see if they were helpful. I found this place: [bbowden.bizland.com]
Three weeks and $90 and I had the same thing that my daughter had gotten. They got me from intolerable to tolerable foot pain.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 29, 2011 10:45PM
I think we should have a poll on whether you should go break a leg.

tortoise
I also lost 50 lbs
I now do 50 mile bike rides and three miles daily on the walking circuit and am completely pain free.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: August 30, 2011 09:42AM
Hey, thanks for all the good advice, folks! It is appreciated.

I will try the golfball technique, although, at this point, that sounds painful. eye twitch smiley

- Walter Reuther
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login