advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What Glucosamine arthritis supplement for older dogs?
Posted by: JoeM
Date: December 29, 2005 09:22PM
Well, Miss Doggie's Rabies vaccine update visit to the vet yesterday resulted in a diagnosis of the start of arthritis in her back legs (she 's 11 yrs old and was a big ball player in her younger days).

This vet is not her regular guy but seemed knowledgeable. He recommended between 1000 and 1500 MG of Glucosamine for humans daily. Didn't recommend a brand but said Glucosamine marketed for humans is the same as what's market for pets without flavoring.

I'm starting to read up on this but would like to buy it right away.

Anybody have experience with this and can recommend a good brand? Also reading about Cosequin by Nutramax. Any info appreciated.

Amber throws you a big wet kiss too!smiling smiley

JoeM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What Glucosamine arthritis supplement for older dogs?
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: December 29, 2005 09:26PM
No doubt there will be opinions - but it's all probably about the same as long as the purity is good.

FWIW - my Uncle gave a glucosamine supplment the vet recommended to his German Shepherd that had hip problems and it worked wonders... that was like 6 or 7 years ago... something that definitely works for Man and Man's best friend alike.

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Posted by: iaJim
Date: December 29, 2005 09:30PM
Glucosmine also frequently comes with two other supplements included. MSM and chondroitin. Probably better check with the vet about whether or not these are ok for dogs. I think MSM is an anti-inflammatory, sulphur? I don't remember.
Posted by: rgG
Date: December 29, 2005 09:33PM
Check out Costco. They have their own brand (Kirkland) of Glucosamine and it is usually cheaper than the branded stuff.

I agree with Larry that it's all going to be pretty much the same. I would trust the Costco brands because they just get one the big manufacturers to make it for them.
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: December 29, 2005 09:41PM
He didn't recommend aspirin? If you are fixed on glucosamine, I would get any reputable store brand--CVs, Walgreens, Rite Aid--and bury it in peanut butter when you give it to him.
Date: December 29, 2005 10:26PM
Gutenberg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He didn't recommend aspirin? If you are fixed on
> glucosamine, I would get any reputable store
> brand--CVs, Walgreens, Rite Aid--and bury it in
> peanut butter when you give it to him.

No, said nothing about aspirin. Mentioned a pain killer for down the line but said there were liver issues that had to be monitored if used.

I am going to call back to talk to her regular vet as I want to hear his take on this but I do want to get right on this as she's been moving a bit slow since she went flying off chasing after a rabbit that happend by the yard the other day. I think she pulled something.

She gets a teaspoon of lo fat peanut butter every day so that's a great idea.

Thanks everyone for your help.

JoeM
Posted by: kj
Date: December 29, 2005 10:55PM
We gave our ex-dog glucosamine with condroitin, and it was fine. She had detached ACLs, which was awful. With the glucosamine, her knee joints stabilized to the point where she could get around fine. It also seems to provide the same amount of analgesic as a couple aspirin (from rat studies), so the aspirin might be unnecessary. I just stuck the pill down behind her tongue into her throat with my finger, and gave her a vitabone chaser. If I put it in anything, she could somehow selectively swallow all but the pill, then she'd spit it out. It was kind of funny, but not really. I took it for a while also, and I think it was helpful, but too expensive, and it messed up my stomach (made me feel like I had to burp).

I've read that logically, glucosamine shouldn't be helpful. But good studies with animals show it is. Rats don't lie. kj.
Posted by: Kiva
Date: December 29, 2005 11:03PM
my 11 year-old namesake has been taking the Costco MSM and glucosamine for a year or so. I just throw it in with her kibble each morning and she gobbles it right up. She also gets 2 aspirin from time to time (100lb dog). If you do give aspirin, give only the *buffered* stuff (they use maalox or something). Do not give the coated stuff. Rite Aid had it last I bought it.

kiva
Posted by: wowzer
Date: December 29, 2005 11:17PM
[vetmedicine.about.com]

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Posted by: fmgtech
Date: December 29, 2005 11:28PM
My Shepherd is almost 16 and I have been giving her various remedies for a couple of years now. I just get regular 1000 mg Glucosomine at Wally World and I put 4000 mg in milk both morning and evening. She doesn't always drink all of it but most of the time she does. Occasionally I will use Chondroitin, but I can only find it in tablets which I have to crush up to get into the milk.

I also occasionally give her an aspirin in a dollop of peanut butter.

Most recently I started her on prescription Deramaxx and it seems to help. It is similar to Rimadyle. You have to watch out with the prescription stuff and watch your animal closely, because it has some side effects.

Good luck.
Posted by: Fred_Also
Date: December 30, 2005 12:21AM
My arthritis doctor says that Glucosomine is the only over the counter drug that has test results to indicate that it helps human arthritis.

I get three or four bottles at a time by mail order. They are 500 mg horse sized pills.

The doctor said most people think from the size of the pills, that they only need one a day. The recommended dosage is 1500 mg per day. So it's 3 horse pills a day to do some good. I can tell the difference. (I also take Relafin for arthritis).

But you got me thinking, over 12 year old fox terrier, Jumper, will be getting some of my tablets.

Fred Also
Posted by: fmgtech
Date: December 30, 2005 12:28AM
I forgot to mention in my earlier post, that I'm not absolutely sure that the Glucosomine is doing that much good. On the other hand, the prescription Deramaxx does seem to be doing some good. Of course it is much more expensive. About $30.00 a month via mail order.

I guess the glucosomine can never hurt.
Posted by: Kiva
Date: December 30, 2005 12:50AM
re: the gluco...

my vet said that the studies he's read have been somewhat mixed. He believed that, theoretically, a portion of the 1000 or 1500 mg should be usable after digestion, but the actual amount he was unsure of. He still recommended it..

kiva
Posted by: Linda2
Date: December 30, 2005 01:16AM
My veterinarian recommended Oscal as a glucosamine supplement for my terriers. It has helped.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 30, 2005 03:01AM
The only thing I can add, is that it was originally used to treat race horses' knees. The joint surface to body mass ratio in a horses' knee is amazing.

it works well in hip and shoulder joints in humans because of the surface area to mass ratio.

My next-door-neighbor uses it for his chocolate lab's hips. Without it, he wouldn't be able to hobble up our deck, and beg for treats.
Date: December 30, 2005 10:11AM
Thank you all for your help. I am going off to hunt up a suppliment today.

Also going to call my vet today about Cosequin:
[www.nutramaxlabs.com]

I'll post further info I find out for those who also have similar concerns for their dogs/ cats.

Yard bunnys: BEWARE! ;)

JoeM
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 30, 2005 01:22PM
FWIW, I had a friend whose dog did very well with Cosequin.
Date: December 30, 2005 04:19PM
Just got back from her vet. He recommends Cosequin as the best, suggests about 1000 MG a day. He also said he usually prescribse glucosomine for human consumption for dogs. Works the same.

I'm ordering Cosequin today (entirelypets.com seems to have the lowest price I can find for Cosequin DS 120 caps @ $41.99) and picked up some over the counter people glucosomine for us both to start with ( I might as well start too) while I wait for the online order to arrive,

Break out the Peanut Butter!!

JoeM
Posted by: DrSteggy
Date: December 30, 2005 04:53PM
It is highly recommended that people use the version of the neutroceutical that has been used in studies..and in the case of glucosamine/chondroitin supplements, Cosequin is the product that has been used in studies done. So the short answer is use Cosequin. You CAN use the human product, as the only difference between that and the dog version is the picture on the label...and there is a chewy version for dogs that tastes like beef.

When/if you do use NSAIDs--aspirin is pretty good at causing stomach ulcers and can complicate kidney disease. The newer prescription drugs (I say "new" but Rimadyl has been on the market over 10 years now, and IS available as a generic) are much less ulcergenic, and while they can have side effects, I have seen a lot less on stuff like Rimadyl (carprofen) and Metacam (meloxicam) I'm not a fan of Deramaxx--it just never seemed that my patients did as well on it, but I have friends who adore it.

Jackie (DVM)
Date: December 30, 2005 07:42PM
DrSteggy:

Thanks for the info. Hopefully, she will be able to avoid drugs for some time. I'm hoping the Cosequin will do the trick for some time to come.

JoeM
Date: December 30, 2005 08:14PM
Anyone ever hear of Joint MAX? I've been searching and it has come up a number of times as a new product, supposedly cheaper and more potent than Cosequin DS:

-----------------------------------------------
Cosequin DS & Joint MAX DS compared

There is a relatively new competitor to Cosequin DS, Joint MAX DS. After close compairison and cost per tablet analysis, Joint MAX offers the same nutrients in greater volume per tablet. Joint MAX also comes on strong with two extra important joint-repairing nutrients not offered in Cosequin DS, Zinc and N-acetyl-cysteine.

Ingredients Cosequin DS Joint MAX DS
Glucosamine 500 mg 530 mg
Chondroitin 400 mg 420 mg
Manganese 5 mg 12 mg
Ascorbate/Ascorbic 33 mg 24 mg
Zinc NONE 0.78 mg
Cysteine NONE 25 mg

In a direct cost comparison, Joint MAX DS is less expensive by $0.14 per tablet.

Cosequin DS Joint MAX DS
$46.99 ($0.39/Tablet) $29.99 ($0.25/Tablet)

JoeM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 129
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018