Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $100.86 ( -0.77 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anchoring a bookshelf to the wall
Posted by: Psurfer
Date: September 16, 2011 03:47PM
I want to anchor a couple of 7' tall freestanding bookshelves to the wall (in case of earthquake, or Really klutzy maneuver). The baseboard at the floor keeps the back of a bookshelf >an inch from being flush w/the wall.

A cheaper alternative to the adjustable one below would be good.
This one looks perfect, if a little pricey at $10/ea
[www.containerstore.com]

I know iron stap would do it, but not the most elegant-looking solution. I suppose I could paint it white...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anchoring a bookshelf to the wall
Posted by: billb
Date: September 16, 2011 03:57PM
cheap brass l-bracket inside the top bracket unseen
shim behind the bookcase for the air gap and a long screw or toggle bolt going though the 'tab' of the l-bracket / back bookcase board or cardboard / and lastly the shim.
invisible if stuff is on the shelf.

Posted by: artie67
Date: September 16, 2011 04:40PM
If you don't mind the case standing off the wall an inch then you need a board or boards that make the thickness of the base moulding. I'm guessing that you included the "shoe" moulding in the depth. Take some "blue tape" and set the location of the cases. Find the studs. Mark with tape. Cut your 1x2 or whatever to the width of the case less 4 inches or so. Mount to the wall at the height of the back brace you will use. You might paint the "shim" board or boards the color of the wall.
Plan B
Buy 4 legs. Use two up front on each cabinet. Now find the studs and put tape just above the height of the case. Predrill holes in brace and screw to wall.
Something here will do the trick... [www.outwatercatalogs.com]
Posted by: MikeF
Date: September 16, 2011 04:51PM
Find the studs behind the bookcase and mark the height of the bookcase. Hit your local hardware store for something like this:
[tinyurl.com]

Mount it with one side of the angle downwards on the wall into the stud and the other side of the angle flush with the top of the bookcase.

You should be able to find one that has at least one end long enough to bridge the air gap between the wall and the bookcase.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2011 04:52PM by MikeF.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: September 16, 2011 06:16PM
Psurfer
I want to anchor a couple of 7' tall freestanding bookshelves to the wall...I know iron stap would do it, but not the most elegant-looking solution. I suppose I could paint it white...

How tall are you?eye popping smiley
Posted by: pqrst
Date: September 16, 2011 07:31PM
The fireman trainer at my CERT classes said that a nylon webbing earthquake strap is best to use to secure bookcase, speakers, etc. The rigid angle iron runs the risk of tearing out of the wall/shearing off because there is no give to take the jolting in a sustained earthquake.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2011 07:33PM by pqrst.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 16, 2011 08:33PM
I'll agree with pqqrst. When our kids were little, I just went behind tall bookcases and screwed a strap to the top of each of them, and attached the other end to the wall at a stud. You're not trying to nail the sucker to the wall, just give it enough to stop it from flopping all the way down. And, with the geometry and physics, you don't actually need a huge amount of strength in the restraining hardware. Of course, if the whole house turns upside down, you're not going to be worrying about the bookcases anyway..
Posted by: M>B>
Date: September 16, 2011 10:32PM
Yes the flexible straps are best. And, don't forget the straps to hold the books in the bookcase. While you are at it fasten everything down...

[projects.ups.edu]
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 16, 2011 11:36PM
I put some thin plywood sheets underneath the front bottom of the shelf, so it "leans" into the wall. REALLY helps stability.

IKEA sells bookshelves with cutouts for moulding. Easiest to see in the black ones.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Posted by: haikuman
Date: September 17, 2011 07:15AM
This should hold that book shelf pirate smiley devil smiley

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2011 07:29AM by haikuman.
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 17, 2011 07:22AM
M>B>
Yes the flexible straps are best. And, don't forget the straps to hold the books in the bookcase. While you are at it fasten everything down...

[projects.ups.edu]

Oh no...
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 17, 2011 12:00PM
.....good luck....nothing to add except....ANCHORS away.........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Psurfer
Date: September 17, 2011 03:55PM
'Tanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login