Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple Adapter
Posted by: lemmingboy
Date: December 11, 2005 06:28PM
Hello,

Two things. First of all as long time lurker and occassional poster to the other forum, I just wanted to joing the chorus and give thanks to those who made this new forum possible.

Now to my question. I want to route my G4 Digital Audio to my TV. I just purchased a DVI to Video Adpater from Apple which is listed as only being of use on a G5. I bought it anyway, just to try. The short of it is that it doesn't work.

Here's my question: Does anyone know of a way to make it work? Because here's the thing -- it almost works. That is when I first boot the computer up, the G4 recognizes the adapter and says all is well but I just can't get the signal on the TV.

If triple checked all the connections and have tried the basics of flashing the PRAM and so forth, all to no avail.

Anyway, I'm not expecting this to work and was trying more for curiosity's sake than for real need, but would love to hear if anyone might have good advice or thoughts on the matter.

Shawn
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple Adapter
Posted by: The Grim Ninja
Date: December 11, 2005 06:46PM
I think those adapters require an ATI Radeon 8500, 9200, or better. (Radeon 9000 not included).
Posted by: The Grim Ninja
Date: December 11, 2005 06:48PM
[ati.com]

Should be the same as the one you have.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: December 11, 2005 11:56PM
So does your Display Prefs show a TV setting when it is connected? Are you running two displays at the same time?

The adapter should work with any video card that provides a DVI-I connection, that is one that supplies both digital and analog signals, or at the very least a DVI-A which is analog only.
Posted by: lemmingboy
Date: December 12, 2005 09:55AM
Hey Thanks for the Help,

I think Ninja might be on to somthing with the thought that the adapter only works on Radeon cards.

For what it's worth my video card is a GeForce4 Ti 4600 with 128 MB of VRAM. I am trying to run the television as a second monitor, although I've tested the adapter with the television running as the only monitor and it didn't help.

mikebw - yes the Dispaly Prefs show a TV setting when the adapter is connected but I get no actual video signal from the adapter.

Oh well, no worry. I have a PCI video card I can put into this beast to get S-Video out should I desire it and I can more than make use of the adaptor on one of the G5s at work.

Thanks for the help though,

Shawn
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 190
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020