Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $94.72 ( +0.78 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Rain-X: Grrrrrrrrr
Posted by: wurm
Date: September 25, 2011 10:23AM
I remember many years ago (probably around when I first started driving) trying Rain-X and being very disappointed. Fast forward to last week, when after reading about so many people praising it, I figured I'd try it again. So I grabbed a bottle at Walmart, went out with a roll of paper towels and the bottle of Rain-X and took my time doing all the windows, carefully following the directions on the bottle.

Lucky for me, it rained the next day, so I could check out the results. Unlucky for me, through my entire commute, I had constant dew on the windshield. I wasn't expecting miracles, but I also wasn't expecting the haze I saw. To make matters worse, the windshield kept fogging up on the outside, so I needed the wipers just to keep the fog off. It was all coming back to me. I remember similar issues the first time I tried the stuff many years ago.

So I'm about to go and re-clean the windshield and figured I'd google to see if I should expect any surprises. Jeebus. It looks like it's more of an effort to remove the damn stuff than to apply it to begin with. Am I really going to have to resort to using lighter fluid, or buy some special remover to get rid of the stuff? Supposedly SoftScrub may do the trick. At least I can find that fairly easily.

I know a lot of people like it, but is anyone else disappointed with Rain-X?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Rain-X: Grrrrrrrrr
Posted by: DavidS
Date: September 25, 2011 10:24AM
I tried it once many many years ago. Never again.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: September 25, 2011 10:34AM
wurm
I remember many years ago (probably around when I first started driving) trying Rain-X and being very disappointed. Fast forward to last week, when after reading about so many people praising it, I figured I'd try it again. So I grabbed a bottle at Walmart, went out with a roll of paper towels and the bottle of Rain-X and took my time doing all the windows, carefully following the directions on the bottle.

Lucky for me, it rained the next day, so I could check out the results. Unlucky for me, through my entire commute, I had constant dew on the windshield. I wasn't expecting miracles, but I also wasn't expecting the haze I saw. To make matters worse, the windshield kept fogging up on the outside, so I needed the wipers just to keep the fog off. It was all coming back to me. I remember similar issues the first time I tried the stuff many years ago.

So I'm about to go and re-clean the windshield and figured I'd google to see if I should expect any surprises. Jeebus. It looks like it's more of an effort to remove the damn stuff than to apply it to begin with. Am I really going to have to resort to using lighter fluid, or buy some special remover to get rid of the stuff? Supposedly SoftScrub may do the trick. At least I can find that fairly easily.

This was exactly my experience when i tried it many years ago.

Posted by: Fritz
Date: September 25, 2011 10:42AM
didn't work for me when I tried it.
Now the cat rolls over the windshield now and then. Much better.
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: September 25, 2011 10:53AM
You didn't apply it correctly. (Most people don't.)

It leaves an oily sheen on the windshield. Wipe HARD until the sheen is gone. If your fingers and wrists don't hurt after doing your windshield then you haven't wiped hard enough.

Instead of trying to clean the stuff off of your windshield with dangerous chemicals, reapply it and this time do it right. (Rain-X is its own solvent.) Put some "elbow grease" into the job and you'll find that the stuff is quite useful.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: September 25, 2011 10:55AM
I've heard that it should only be used on the side and rear windows.
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 25, 2011 10:58AM
I liked it. I don't remember it ever fogging on the outside of the windshield. I remember being able to drive at highway speeds and watching the raindrops just run straight up and over the windshield. I remember needing to have the glass clean and dry before application but, you did say you followed the directions carefully. Its been years since I've used it though. Maybe its changed.
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: September 25, 2011 11:04AM
The review (below) convinced me to try Aquapel rather than Rain-X. I'm quite happy with Aquapel in the Pacific Northwest. Rarely turn on the windshield wipers when driving at highway speeds.

[www.jwardell.com]

Todd's clear keyboard
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 25, 2011 11:38AM
We started using a wiper fluid with Rain-X mixed in and it seems to work very well; like this-

No special application needed. Water flows right off, and I rarely need the wipers at highway speed, although at night I will still use them more often than not.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: September 25, 2011 11:41AM
Chak and testcase nailed it...

The windshield needs to be COMPETELY clean, and COMPETELY dry, and you have to rub it off VERY hard to get rid of the haze.

Then it works GREAT.
But imho; it's a lot of work for the results.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: modelamac
Date: September 25, 2011 11:52AM
wurm

I get that haze every time, but get rid of it by using the wipers just a bit.

If you really don't like it, go through a car wash, which will clean most of it off. It is a silicone type product that actually wears off rather than being washed off.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on Mountain Lion.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: September 25, 2011 12:23PM
FWIW, I started using Rain-X spray on the side windows and, as denoted by mikebw above, the washer fluid version for the front windows; haven't had any problems with haze since going these routes, so the problem might be in the need to dilute it a bit, per se.

[reference.dbacoreworks.com]
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: September 25, 2011 12:25PM
mikebw
We started using a wiper fluid with Rain-X mixed in and it seems to work very well; like this-

No special application needed. Water flows right off, and I rarely need the wipers at highway speed, although at night I will still use them more often than not.

agree smiley

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: billb
Date: September 25, 2011 12:44PM
mikebw

I'm using that, too.
Works pretty good and no haze.

Logen Aryn Ryley - Happy Birthday
July 25
The Truth Will Always Be
Christine McVie Songbird demo cut no longer available
candy
"I was walking along a path with two friends - the sun was setting - suddenly the sky turned blood red - I paused, feeling exhausted, and leaned on the fence - there was blood and tongues of fire above the blue-black fjord and the city - my friends walked on, and I stood there trembling with anxiety - and I sensed an infinite scream passing through nature."

one Great Gig in THe Sky meets another
Date: September 25, 2011 12:49PM
Chakravartin
Wipe HARD until the sheen is gone. If your fingers and wrists don't hurt after doing your windshield then you haven't wiped hard enough.

Paul F.
[snip]...But imho; it's a lot of work for the results.

And that about sums it up.
Date: September 25, 2011 01:11PM
Paul F.
Chak and testcase nailed it...

The windshield needs to be COMPETELY clean, and COMPETELY dry, and you have to rub it off VERY hard to get rid of the haze.

Then it works GREAT.

Another agree smiley

Learning to get the windshield clean enough to apply it is a skill in itself. I do not think it really is that hard but it takes a little time.

I always apply it twice if I have not reapplied it in the last six months, and it frequently sucks for the first 24 hours, especially if it is a light fog or mist.

Edit: There is nothing like blasting through a heavy rain and being able to see great without using the wipers. First time passengers can be very confused. It requires at least 50 mph on my current car and enough rain so that drops aggregate and blow up or fall down. Cars that are very aerodynamic and have very steep windshields might need faster speeds.

in tha 510.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2011 01:20PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: Dakota
Date: September 25, 2011 01:27PM
I bought Rain-X the year it came out in mid-70s I think. I went back to it a few weeks ago. I do get that haze but it goes away. Anyway, a product that has been on the market for 40 years can't be a flop.

After you discover you're riding a dead horse, your best strategy is to dismount.
Posted by: OWC Jamie
Date: September 25, 2011 01:54PM
I use it and have for years - no problems, but as others have said, correct application is the most important thing.

I start by scrubbing the windshield perfectly clean. I've even gone as far as using glass POLISH on any stubborn stains (it's awesome stuff);

Once you have it sparkling clean, then apply rain-x liberally. Let it dry to a haze, then using nice clean terry cloths, polish it down till you think it's clean. Then, sprinkle water on the windshield, and wipe it all over, take another clean terry cloth and polish again and again.

THEN, here's the step most forget.

CLEAN YOUR WIPERS. Rubbing alcohol and a towel you don't like are all it takes, cause that towel is going to turn black. Do it 3 or 4 times, and run your finger on the leading edge and feel for bumps, cuts, divots, etc., make sure it's not time to replace them. If your wipers aren't clean, your windshield isn't going to be clean when they run on it smiling smiley

Trust me - you do that twice a year, and you'll be a happy camper. And if you want to maintain that Rain-X, this works great!

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 25, 2011 01:56PM
We started using a wiper fluid with Rain-X mixed in and it seems to work very well

Are there any problems with it getting on the car's paint?

I guess when used only in wet weather, the there wouldn't be any.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

Pixels were born to be punished. -Frederick Van Johnson

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: September 25, 2011 02:56PM
Sounds like a lot of gosh darn work! Is it really that much better than just using the wipers?
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: September 25, 2011 03:16PM
The UnDoug
Sounds like a lot of gosh darn work! Is it really that much better than just using the wipers?

...And it only lasts through one or two rains.

But it's soooo cool to see the droplets scatter off of your windshield without the wipers.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 25, 2011 03:19PM
I've never used Rain-X, but I used a similar product, long out of production.

And it was far superior to wipers. Even at 30mph, the water ran off in clear sheets and it was much easier to see out. It was even better in heavy downpours where the wipers can't seem to keep up.

I'd be tempted to try Rain-X, but here in the SFO/OAK area, I just don't see nearly enough rain, let alone heavy rain, to work that hard. Wipers on high speed do an adequate job.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

Pixels were born to be punished. -Frederick Van Johnson

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: September 25, 2011 03:42PM
Just use a nice paste wax. Wax on . . . wax off. thumbsup smiley

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: September 25, 2011 04:27PM
mikebw

When I was working this is what I used, in a steady rain as long as I wasn't
behind an 18 wheeler I could drive nearly my entire commute 30 miles
of interstate and not turn on the wipers, I'm not kidding. If you're going
to use RainX this is the way to go.

Grateful11
Posted by: DRR
Date: September 25, 2011 04:29PM
When I lived in a rainier climate I used it about once a month or however often I'd wash the cars. Worked fine. I was ok with the downsides - fair amount of work (but I had just washed the car anyway) and it only lasts a few rains/weeks. Which was fine if you use it fairly regularly.

Correct application is easier when you understand how it works. First you have to get the glass very clean. The cleaner the better. Because you want as much dirt and existing oil out of the micro pits in your windsheld as possible. Then, you put the first "haze" coat on, and it is meant to fill in all those micro pits (and more.) After it hazes you basically have to buff it off, just like a wax, leaving only a small amount of product in the little micro pits. If you've done that correctly, you'll have no problem. If you don't take enough off, your wipers will just smear all the excess around. If you haven't adequately cleaned (and DRIED) the glass beforehand, the oily stuff in the Rain-X will simply be pushed to the surface during a rain and you'll smear it around.

It's fine for what it is. It's not a miracle solution.
Date: September 25, 2011 06:00PM
Thanks, everyone. One more queston. If I wanted to try that windshield washer fluid version of the Rain-X noted above, am I likely to suffer the same negative effects of applying the other stuff less than perfectly? Easy is good, if it works. Difficult will not be worth it for me in this instance.
Posted by: Stephanie
Date: September 25, 2011 07:31PM
LOVE Rain-X! When you put it on correctly, it's great. We've never had an issue using it. I also really like the Rain-X wiper fluid - not as good as the hard to apply stuff, but still great in its own right.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 25, 2011 07:58PM
wurm-
OWC Jamie has the basics of it. I used to apply the RainX, and always cleaned the windshield very agressively, finishing with solvent alcohol (not 70% Rubbing Alcohol), then applying and wiping off with a DUSTLESS cloth. Paper towels ? BAD Idea. What you ended up with is paper towel dust embedded in the Rainx on your windshield, and that causes the foggy problem.

You'll need to clean the heck out of your windshield first. Use a dustless cloth... old t-shirt will work pretty well, and solvent or 90% rubbing alcohol. Also clean your windshield wipers as OWC Jamie noted. Then you can go ahead and use the Rainx washer spray.

I use the Rainx washer spray now, and it's awesome.
Date: September 25, 2011 08:27PM
Damn, I'm tired just from reading the install requirements...
Posted by: OWC Jamie
Date: September 25, 2011 10:11PM
Drive 80 miles round trip like I do every day and you'll learn to appreciate basic windshield maintenance smiling smiley Nothing drives me more crazy than a dirty windshield.

Oh, I forgot to mention the other shoe that'll drop when you have a spotless windshield. Once you have the OUTSIDE clean, you will quickly realize the inside is dirty. It's a PITA to keep them clean if you drive with windows down, but since I bought this little gem it's a LOT easier and faster;

[www.invisibleglass.com]

Amazon has it for less than $15, my local Farm & Fleet had it for about that - works great around the house too. [www.amazon.com]

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2011 10:11PM by OWC Jamie.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: September 25, 2011 11:03PM
I used to use Rain-x and it worked great, as long as you followed instructions as others have pointed out. Now that I'm older, my shoulder muscles just don't put out like they used to. So, I switched to silicon windshield wipers. They hold up well in southern summer heat, and leave a silicon "film" on the windshield which acts just like Rain-x, but only in the wiper pattern obviously. Much less work, and since I don't wash my car often, I now don't have to wash the windshield much either :-)
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: September 25, 2011 11:48PM
Grateful11
mikebw

When I was working this is what I used, in a steady rain as long as I wasn't
behind an 18 wheeler I could drive nearly my entire commute 30 miles
of interstate and not turn on the wipers, I'm not kidding. If you're going
to use RainX this is the way to go.

agree smiley

[reference.dbacoreworks.com]
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: September 26, 2011 04:25AM
Rain X is a polymer coating that is eroded/removed by the abrasive action of the wipers. Chemicals have little or no effect on it.

It works fine for the most part if properly applied, but other factors can render it undesirable. I only like to use it on the windows with the exception of the windscreen.

1) once you've applied it to the windshield, you've locked yourself into a regimen of having to maintain and reapply it, or the will result in substandard clarity, as well as a distinct disparity between the swept and unswept areas of the windscreen.

2) wipers that have poor and/or non-uniform applied force on the surface of the glass will cause it to wear unevenly and result in chattering as well as inconsistent visual clarity as it becomes less effective in some areas and remains effective in others. The differing coefficient of friction affects both the dispersion of the water droplets and the action of the wipers. This can result from a poorly designed wiper system that doesn't apply consistent and uniform pressure on the highly curved glass of modern vehicles, from fatigued wiper arms and worn blades, as well as general wear and tear on the windscreen from driving. Reapplication restores consistency somewhat, but it has now become a requirement for that treated piece of glass (see #1).

That's why some folks may find the washer fluid version, which is more frequently replenished, to be preferable to the original concentrate.
Posted by: JPK
Date: September 26, 2011 09:57AM
I am thumbs down on Rain-X.

JPK
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login