advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Hibiscus
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: September 29, 2011 08:12AM
My daughter took a cutting from her rather leggy houseplant earlier this year and gave it to us. This is its second flower and there are several buds hiding at the back ready to burst. It measures 1cm (7" ) across, seems almost too big for the plant. Daughter is pleased, she lives in a small flat in London and had never taken a cutting before.

Paul

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Hibiscus
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: September 29, 2011 08:52AM
Beautiful!
My tortoises would dance on their hind legs for a chance to munch on that.

Posted by: rgG
Date: September 29, 2011 09:02AM
I have a hibiscus in a large pot by my front entrance. I overwinter it each year in the garage. The flowers are a beautiful reddish color, similar the the throat of your flower. I didn't know that they were that easy to start from a cutting, I may have to try that next year.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Re: Hibiscus, and more hibiscus
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: September 29, 2011 09:03AM
What a lovely blossom, nice bit of tropical color for your autumn. And you're right, it seems to overpower the plant! Best of luck to your daughter with future cuttings! smiling smiley

I've been trying to convince others in my area (Florida) to grow Hibiscus sabdariffa; the flowers aren't so magnificent, and only last a day, but the calyces (sp.?) are very useful, delicious and healthy. This is the "red hibiscus" in various herbal tea mixtures, such as Red Zinger, but it's known by several other names including roselle and Florida cranberry. The owner of a local Jamaican restaurant grows his own (he calls it Jamaican sorrel) and uses it with sugar, spices, and rum to make a traditional Xmas drink.

I didn't get my plants in the ground until late and although they aren't as large as usual, they've been blooming for a few weeks now. I'll try to get a photo.
Posted by: tenders
Date: September 29, 2011 09:09AM
I love hibiscus. If you want to further her greenthumb, get a clipping from a hibiscus of another color and graft it onto a branch of her plant. You do this by cutting a taper into both stems, tying the tapers tightly together with fine string or dental floss, and wrapping it all up with duct tape. After a couple of months you can get flowers of two different colors on the same plant!
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: September 29, 2011 09:15AM
Ooops, didn't proof read. The flower measures 18cm across, not 1!!

Nice idea about grafting. I used to do a lot of that on different plants years ago but haven't recently.

Paul

Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 29, 2011 10:01AM
I've tried to duplicate someone else's hibiscus success down the block but neither of us are getting anything like that!

Posted by: neophyte
Date: September 29, 2011 11:03AM
rgG
I have a hibiscus in a large pot by my front entrance. I overwinter it each year in the garage.

I do the same with our 6 potted hibiscus plants. It makes for a crowded garage with 6 large pots, but the reward in large red, yellow, or orange flowers from spring through fall is worth it. And several continue to flower during their winter garage stay with daily CF illumination.
Posted by: haikuman
Date: September 29, 2011 12:13PM
The Hibiscus is the Hawaii State Flower ~!~
They are very beautiful and very easy to make cuttings from.
The one below was one of many in my Maui yard

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2011 12:22PM by haikuman.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 29, 2011 03:04PM
Hibiscus are also delicious...
[muybuenocookbook.wordpress.com]

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 235
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020