advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $101.20 ( +1.09 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Chemical or enzyme solution to clogged toilet problem?
Posted by: Ammo
Date: October 05, 2011 05:19PM
I have an impossibly clogged toilet. I've tried plunging, 3 different sizes of snakes, cursing, and pleading. None has worked. According to guides I've read on the web, enzymes and chemicals are possible solutions. Has anyone used either of these when all else has failed?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Chemical or enzyme solution to clogged toilet problem?
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: October 05, 2011 05:24PM
A clogged toilet or bad Septic system can be one of the most aggravating things about homeownership. Have
pulled the toilet yet? Might be time to call a pro, I had too a couple times. Does it go down slowly at all?

Grateful11
Posted by: Fritz
Date: October 05, 2011 05:27PM
We run enzymes thru most of our drains ever so. Some product from Homeys.
But we've never had a clogged toilet like you describe.
You may have a root grown thru a pipe.

!#$@@$#!

are we there yet?

[garyrichard.net]
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: October 05, 2011 05:28PM
How old is toilet? New ones don't cost that much... I dealt with a slowing non-clogged toilet for long time. When we did recent renovation on bathroom, we replaced the toilet. Wish I had down that much sooner!

(I am looking forward to the comments on speculation on your clogged toilet. However, I won't start them... burnout smiley )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2011 05:49PM by SKYLANE.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 05, 2011 05:35PM
After all you have done it is time for a pro. Your siphon may be compromised, i.e., has a crack or break.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: October 05, 2011 05:37PM
Fritz
We run enzymes thru most of our drains ever so. Some product from Homeys.
But we've never had a clogged toilet like you describe.
You may have a root grown thru a pipe.

If the actual clog is in the toilet you should be able to pull, clear and reset it, not replace it. Mine was a collapsed
drain line, had to be replaced. Not cheap and not a quick solution.

Grateful11
Date: October 05, 2011 05:55PM
I should have mentioned that our downstairs toilet is working fine. This would rule out a blocked or collapsed sewer line, wouldn't it?

Speedy, how dare you suggest my siphon is damaged . . . what is a siphon, anyway?

I may try removing the toilet later this week. I'm very curious to know what the heck is causing this.dunno smiley
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 05, 2011 05:58PM
Any little ones in the house? Could be a Tickle Me Elmo.
Date: October 05, 2011 06:09PM
Acer
Any little ones in the house? Could be a Tickle Me Elmo.

No children in the house.
Posted by: Wailer
Date: October 05, 2011 06:53PM
If you're other fixtures are draining, you can rule out roots. Anything else clogged? does the bathtube drain? Anyone flush any feminine products down or other non-degradeable items like paper towels or rags?

I'd probably take the toilet off and try again with the snake. Get a 25-foot one from the hardware store. If you don't remove the toilet, you'll scratch up the bottom of the bowl.

You may also want to check the vent on the roof.
Posted by: Plumbking
Date: October 05, 2011 08:12PM
Wailer

Enough with the clogged vents. That will only make it drain slowly.

If it's on the 2nd floor that eliminates a main line stoppage.

Most people "plunge" incorrectly. It's actually the sucking action of plunging that releases the stoppage not the pushing, the pulling. You need to make a good seal to be effective.

You tried 3 snakes? There's only one that works without scratching the bowl. Long handle with a short snake just to clear the trap.

If I where you I'd try plunging again. Maybe with a different plunger. If all else fails I'd remove the toilet turn it upside down and stick my hand in the trap.

Good Luck
Posted by: billb
Date: October 05, 2011 08:17PM
I got pretty good at removing the upstairs toilet , removing either the 2 year old's duplos or transformers or somebody else's (we won't mention any names ) make-up paper towel and putting it back in less than a 1/2 hour. Threw away some perfectly good towels used to keep the "mess" off the floor.

Date: October 05, 2011 11:43PM
Plumbking
Wailer

Enough with the clogged vents. That will only make it drain slowly.

If it's on the 2nd floor that eliminates a main line stoppage.

Most people "plunge" incorrectly. It's actually the sucking action of plunging that releases the stoppage not the pushing, the pulling. You need to make a good seal to be effective.

You tried 3 snakes? There's only one that works without scratching the bowl. Long handle with a short snake just to clear the trap.

If I where you I'd try plunging again. Maybe with a different plunger. If all else fails I'd remove the toilet turn it upside down and stick my hand in the trap.

Good Luck
Expanding on what Plumbking said, removing the toilet will allow you to further isolate the location of the clog by pouring water down the pipe without the toilet in place: If it drains fine, then the problem is in the toilet itself, not in the pipes.

Since you also asked for chemical or enzyme solutions, I'll add this- A guy I used to work for who owned several large old houses that had been divided into small apartments always said that hot Clorox water worked better at clearing slow-draining or clogged pipes than any other commercial product he'd ever tried. Since he had extensive experience with iffy or at least antique plumbing that had been expanded far beyond it's original capacity specification, I'm inclined to think he knew what he was talking about. He would mix Clorox bleach and very hot water half-and-half in a big pitcher and pour it down the drain as quickly as possible. I've seen this work like a charm on otherwise hopelessly blocked bar sinks, but your mileage (or drainage, as the case may be) may vary.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: October 06, 2011 12:19AM
I had a thread about this a few months ago. My best guess is that it was the Super Soft Charmin clogging it up. Google will show that it's a common problem.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: October 06, 2011 11:34AM
Never had 'enzyme' products work in the bathroom.

I've resigned myself to disassembling the plumbing under each bathroom sink at least once annually to manually clean out the hair which accumulates just past the trap.

And use a snake, _carefully_, on the bathtub/shower drains.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login