advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iOS 5 Update Download Question
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 12, 2011 10:12AM
Is there any place on Apple's website to download iOS 5 rather than doing it through iTunes? I want to try to avoid crashing my companies network when multiple users start downloading 400-700mb simultaneously. I'd like to download the update in advance and let them pull it from within our network. Anyone know how to do that?

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iOS 5 Update Download Question
Posted by: LaserKun
Date: October 12, 2011 10:19AM
ztir, I have almost the same question - I just want to know how do we download iOS 5? I have been checking via iTunes on iPad2, etc., but so far, it is not available. I guess I am just too early.

As far as downloading it from your own network... wow, I don't know, but if you can figure that one out, it should be a boon to many people. Interesting to see how this works out for you.
Date: October 12, 2011 10:22AM
I know that if I synch a phone that is eligible for iOS 5 then it will download in iTunes and I should be able to find the file and share it from there, but my additional problem is that I have an iPhone 3G. My phone is end of life. No more updates for me. Hence, I need a direct link because iTunes won't even offer the update to me.

Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 12, 2011 10:29AM
I'm sure Apple doesn't want people redistributing the installer as the lose control over the security at that point. Someone could potentially perform malicious adjustments to the installer files and then it looks like Apple did something wrong.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 12, 2011 10:30AM
Do they have to be updated TODAY? Check the jail brake sites later; they usually post direct download links.
Date: October 12, 2011 10:34AM
These are corporate phones. I can't and won't use files from hacker websites.

Date: October 12, 2011 10:36AM

The bigger problem is that there is no way for me to prevent end users from updating their phones. If they all plug into iTunes at the same time and realize that there's an update available they'll all start downloading it. I want to cut them off at the pass so to speak and provide a link to the file from within our network.

Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 12, 2011 10:36AM
In Soviet Russia, Corporate hacks you!!

EDIT: Maybe you could block the update ports for everyone else and have them bring the device to you so you can control the load on the network?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2011 10:37AM by mikebw.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 12, 2011 10:39AM
Is this something that OS X Server intends to solve?

[www.scribd.com]

Posted by: DRR
Date: October 12, 2011 10:39AM
I believe you can do this if you have OSX server.
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: October 12, 2011 10:40AM
ztirffritz
I'd like to download the update in advance and let them pull it from within our network. Anyone know how to do that?

I think Apple's older style Software Updates can be predownloaded and distributed on the LAN using Mac OS X Server, but I don't think that facility has been extended yet (if ever) to the iTunes downloads.

There may be a workaround by downloading it via iTunes and then copying the file(s) to the appropriate place on the users' iTunes installation, but this may be awkward and unreliable even if it is possible.
Posted by: zero
Date: October 12, 2011 10:48AM
ztirffritz

The bigger problem is that there is no way for me to prevent end users from updating their phones. If they all plug into iTunes at the same time and realize that there's an update available they'll all start downloading it. I want to cut them off at the pass so to speak and provide a link to the file from within our network.

How about an email asking them to not download it... for now.
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: October 12, 2011 11:03AM
ztirffritz
If they all plug into iTunes at the same time and realize that there's an update available they'll all start downloading it.

(1) Maybe you can do a rolling blackout sort of situation.
Block iTunes downloads for LAN IP ranges at your firewall during certain times of the day. Inform users that you are implementing emergency network traffic management procedures.

(2) Implement traffic shaping across the network to reduce the speed of downloads to the ports iTunes uses.

Use one or both methods. Gradually relax these over the next few days.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 12, 2011 11:06AM
AT&T wants them to download it via cell connection so 20 million users go over their data cap for the month. Cha-ching!

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: decay
Date: October 12, 2011 11:34AM
after you install on your Mac, check ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates/

look for an ipsw file.

example: iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw

---
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: October 12, 2011 12:20PM
iTunes lists 4.3.5 as the most recent update for my iPod touch. After it contacted the Apple software server, 5.0 was listed. I selected to download only then it showed up as 4.3.5 again.

This is using iTunes 10.5 on 10.6.8 with a 3G iPod touch.

A couple of days ago I decided to beat the rush & was going to install iOS 5 GM but the 'option restore' key combo had no effect. All I could do was update to 4.3.5. Go figure.

Date: October 12, 2011 12:47PM
i think iOS 5 requires iTunes 10.5.

---
Date: October 12, 2011 01:10PM
Itunes 10.5 is required. I was able to download that and I can distribute it from a local server. That's 66mb of headache resolved.

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: October 12, 2011 01:49PM
Modmyi.com has posted the direct download links.
Date: October 12, 2011 03:43PM
[www.macupdate.com]

[support.apple.com]

About iPhone Configuration Utility 3.4 for Mac OS X

iPhone Configuration Utility lets you easily create, maintain, encrypt, and install configuration profiles, track and install provisioning profiles and authorized applications, and capture device information including console logs.

Configuration profiles are XML files that contain device security policies, VPN configuration information, Wi-Fi settings, APN settings, Exchange account settings, mail settings, and certificates that permit iPhone and iPod touch to work with your enterprise systems.

---
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 199
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020