advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $104.87 ( +0.04 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anybody using one of the newer high efficiency 1.28 GPF toilets?
Posted by: Ammo
Date: October 13, 2011 09:14PM
I bought a new toilet the other day but discovered when I got home that it only uses 1.28 gallons per flush. I hooked it up to see what kind of flushing action it has and now I am dubious about how effective it will be. It seems like it uses about a Dixie cup's worth of water each time you push the handle. Since we haven't used it for the real thing yet (I swear!), I can still exchange it for a 1.6 GPF toilet. Anyone used one of the newer high efficiency ones? Does it handle the really big jobs?

You google bot, hanging out in Apple articles commenting to show your low self esteem. Live with the plastic, data mining mistake you made just to think you are different and cutting edge with stuff that never works.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2011 09:15PM by Ammo.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anybody using one of the newer high efficiency 1.28 GPF toilets?
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 13, 2011 09:15PM
you can always flush twice, but that defeats the purpose of having a high efficiency toilet. Last time I check my math, 1.28 x 2 was more than 1 x 1.6
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: October 13, 2011 09:27PM
Low-flow toilets used to be terrible, but designs have improved. Some of them do an excellent job with very little water.

'Can't tell you whether your particular toilet will work well.

Can you go to a showroom and look at one in action?
Posted by: Trouble
Date: October 13, 2011 09:40PM
From what I understand, and I'm probably wrong, but to get maximum efficiency from a low flow unit, the piping has to have the correct diameter.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 13, 2011 10:19PM
your dixie cups are bigger than mine.

VTPKL it!
Posted by: Michael
Date: October 13, 2011 10:28PM
We bought a couple of these from Home Depot for $98 each: [www.homedepot.com]

They are dual flush, with 1.1 and 1.28 gal options. It scores "10" (out of maximum 10) on a standard flush test.

Let me be delicate and say that despite my best efforts, it has worked like a champ. Once in a while the 1.28 option doesn't result in pristine water; in those circumstances, a second 1.1 flush and we're good to go. The 1.1 option for liquids (and my wife's liquids plus paper) has always worked just fine.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another of the same type.

You can learn far more than you probably want to know about these issues here: [www.toiletabcs.com]

Edit: I've looked at the reviews on Home Depot and some say it's a 1.1 and 1.28 dual and others say it's a 1.1 and 1.6 dual. I'm not sure at this point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2011 10:47PM by Michael.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: October 13, 2011 10:40PM
I think a 3 gal per that does the job in one flush would be better then the 1.6 gal per toilets that require 2
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 13, 2011 10:44PM
Chakravartin

Last time I tried that they asked me to leave the store and not come back.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 13, 2011 11:05PM
ripe with possible humor, this thread.

anyway, I installed a dual flush system that works out OK. my little guy takes epic dumps and sometimes stuffs the thing up (where does he store it all?!?) and in that case it's two flushes. I'd be interested in a new design that used less water and somehow worked fine with the epic dumps.

I've also toyed with the idea of a composting toilet and sort of think I could do it in my half-bath as it's on the ground floor.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy.’ They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
- John Lennon
Posted by: Black
Date: October 13, 2011 11:18PM
Acer
Chakravartin

:-)

MR/F Guestmap: [www.mapservices.org]
Posted by: Rolando
Date: October 13, 2011 11:27PM
I just pee in the sink! Handwashing flushes that out!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Posted by: davester
Date: October 14, 2011 01:02AM
We just had one installed today. It's a Toto and I have no doubt that it'll work fine, just like our 1.6 gpf Totos. Any other brand I would be suspicious of.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: October 14, 2011 03:04AM
Mr645
I think a 3 gal per that does the job in one flush would be better then the 1.6 gal per toilets that require 2

All the people in this thread who agree with this need to change your diets. 'cause this logic only works if you are flushing twice every time!

And that's just gross!
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: October 14, 2011 04:38AM
Lux Interior
Mr645

All the people in this thread who agree with this need to change your diets. 'cause this logic only works if you are flushing twice every time!

And that's just gross!

We've been known to be gross . . . :booty:

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: h linamen
Date: October 14, 2011 06:22AM
Six months ago we replaced one of our toilets with a 1.28 gal per flush (American Standard Cadet 3 $199 at home Depot) Absolutely love it. Never have had a plug and I still marvel every time I flush a big load with so little water. Never requires a second flush to do the job.

We have three bathrooms and we actually use this toilet much more because of it's low water usage. Because it does use considerably less water, I have no guilt feelings when I occasionally do a "courtesy flush" while sitting to minimize odor.... knowing a second flush will be done.

I know.... TMI.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 14, 2011 07:37AM
I think the dual flush option on a toilet would result in a much greater water savings, as most of your deposits do not require much water at all to flush away. Only the occasional solid needs would require the larger volume of water, and better to have an adequate amount to flush that out the first time than to require a second flush.
Posted by: LaserKun
Date: October 14, 2011 07:48AM
Toilets you say? Check out ole Terry's site:

[www.terrylove.com]

More than you need to know about plumbing, etc. I lived in Japan for many years, and Toto is made there, best ones I have ever used. I travel a lot, and most hotels try to save water, but having to flush several times is not the answer. Look at the reviews on Love's plumbing site above... Toto is ranked very high.

Japan has been using the dual flush type for many years...
Posted by: billb
Date: October 14, 2011 09:17AM
Acer
Chakravartin

Yours may be jest but we had our two year old disappear at a kitchen and bath display showroom.
We found him in dire need of toilet paper.

I didn't offer to carry it out to the parking lot and flush it.
Never did go back, though.

" Families who heat their homes with wood responsibly should be recognized for their contribution to a reduction in greenhouse gas emissions and a sustainable energy future."
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 14, 2011 12:03PM
I always LOVE these toilet threads!

Alpharetta, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: weapon
Date: October 14, 2011 12:08PM
The toto Drake. Enuff said.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 14, 2011 02:38PM
rgG
I always LOVE these toilet threads!

Bowl you over, do they? ;)

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login