Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $531.70 ( +0.53 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Comcast "bot" warning-- what do you make of this:
Posted by: Black
Date: October 19, 2011 05:15PM
Absolutely a "real" message from Comcast (see below).
Think they really have reason to think there's something on my end, or did everyone get this same message?
On my network are two Intel iMacs, a mini, and an MBA all running Snow.
I think there may be a dataphone connecting but I don't know what kind.

Comcast Customer Central
Constant Guardâ„¢ Alert
Dear XFINITY Customer,
Constant Guard from XFINITY identified that one or more of your computers may be infected with a bot. A bot is a malicious form of software that is used to send spam, host a phishing site, or steal your identity by monitoring your keystrokes without your knowledge. It may be possible you are unaware that your computer is infected with a bot.
We strongly recommend you visit XFINITY.com/BotAssistance for important information on how to remove malicious software from your computer(s).
We appreciate your prompt attention to this important security notice.
Sincerely,
Constant Guard from XFINITY
This is a service-related email. Comcast will occasionally send you service-related emails to inform you of service upgrades or new benefits to your Comcast High-Speed Internet service.

Copyright 2011. Comcast. All other trademarks are properties of their respective owners.

Comcast respects your privacy. For a complete description of our privacy policy, click here.

MR/F Guestmap: [www.mapservices.org]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Comcast "bot" warning-- what do you make of this:
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: October 19, 2011 05:16PM
Tell them to shove it up their bot.

Posted by: hal
Date: October 19, 2011 05:24PM
call them and ask them for the MAC address of the infected computer. If they REALLY have detected a bug, they'll have the MAC address for it...

I think it's BS - I followed the link you posted and it appears that the 'fix' is... get this... to install Norton Anti Virus! AWESOME!
Date: October 19, 2011 05:28PM
Thanks. I was leaning about 70/30 towards BS-- other opinions help.
I did have a rough hour or two last night where lots of things wouldn't load and I'd get a Comcast search page (why?) instead of a link that looked like it ought to work fine-- which adds a little element of nag to the 30% . . .

Posted by: Winston
Date: October 19, 2011 05:33PM
hal
call them and ask them for the MAC address of the infected computer. If they REALLY have detected a bug, they'll have the MAC address for it...

I think it's BS - I followed the link you posted and it appears that the 'fix' is... get this... to install Norton Anti Virus! AWESOME!

And I bet they get a cut from Symantec.

Edit: Site says it's free, "a $160 value". Hah!

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2011 05:38PM by Winston.
Posted by: hal
Date: October 19, 2011 06:07PM
Winston
hal

And I bet they get a cut from Symantec.

Edit: Site says it's free, "a $160 value". Hah!

- Winston

of course the SOFTWARE is free, but the monthly service charge likely isn't. Of course you need to call to get all the details...
Posted by: Panopticon
Date: October 19, 2011 06:54PM
Craptastic B U L L S H | T !

Have some fun with it, forward the email to phishing-report@us-cert.gov devil smiley

Posted by: modelamac
Date: October 19, 2011 07:01PM
I received one of those about a week ago. I ignored it and have had no repercussions.

Black
Absolutely a "real" message from Comcast (see below).
Think they really have reason to think there's something on my end, or did everyone get this same message?
On my network are two Intel iMacs, a mini, and an MBA all running Snow.
I think there may be a dataphone connecting but I don't know what kind.

Comcast Customer Central
Constant Guardâ„¢ Alert
Dear XFINITY Customer,
Constant Guard from XFINITY identified that one or more of your computers may be infected with a bot. A bot is a malicious form of software that is used to send spam, host a phishing site, or steal your identity by monitoring your keystrokes without your knowledge. It may be possible you are unaware that your computer is infected with a bot.
We strongly recommend you visit XFINITY.com/BotAssistance for important information on how to remove malicious software from your computer(s).
We appreciate your prompt attention to this important security notice.
Sincerely,
Constant Guard from XFINITY
This is a service-related email. Comcast will occasionally send you service-related emails to inform you of service upgrades or new benefits to your Comcast High-Speed Internet service.

Copyright 2011. Comcast. All other trademarks are properties of their respective owners.

Comcast respects your privacy. For a complete description of our privacy policy, click here.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on Mountain Lion.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: October 19, 2011 07:16PM
hal

I'm not sure how Comcast would have a MAC address from a device on the private LAN. MAC addresses aren't routable. Or so I thought anyway. Comcast won't have your internal IP addresses either to identify the problem computer. WIthout an internal IP or MAC address, how would Comcast be able to identify the specific device?

Black,
Since the IPs are dynamic, perhaps someone who recently had your IP address was causing problems from their botnet infection. Then again, perhaps it was simply a false positive.
Date: October 19, 2011 07:35PM
silvarios
hal

I'm not sure how Comcast would have a MAC address from a device on the private LAN. MAC addresses aren't routable. Or so I thought anyway. Comcast won't have your internal IP addresses either to identify the problem computer. WIthout an internal IP or MAC address, how would Comcast be able to identify the specific device?

Black,
Since the IPs are dynamic, perhaps someone who recently had your IP address was causing problems from their botnet infection. Then again, perhaps it was simply a false positive.

Thanks. I was also kind of baffled as to how they could see MAC addresses. They'd have to log into my router, no?

Do I get a new IP every time I boot the modem?

Posted by: guitarist
Date: October 19, 2011 08:47PM
I get one of these Comcast warning messages every time I engage the Tor network, via an app called Vidalia, to scramble detection, when I'm in the Bit Torrent world, otherwise, I get flagged as a copyright-infringing suspect. I think that process might look to Comcast like there's some suspicious activity going on, with behavior similar to a virus or malware. Even though I'm not infected.

I was only in Bit Torrent for three hours, with the Tor Network engaged, the other day, after being inactive for a month, and next day, sure enough, got another one of these Comcast notices.

Either way, Comcast seems to be able to detect some unwanted or irregular activity anytime I use Bit Torrent for any reason, for any length of time. When I don't use Bit Torrent, I never get messages from Comcast.

What's the deal?
Date: October 19, 2011 10:53PM
guitarist
I get one of these Comcast warning messages every time I engage the Tor network, via an app called Vidalia, to scramble detection, when I'm in the Bit Torrent world, otherwise, I get flagged as a copyright-infringing suspect. I think that process might look to Comcast like there's some suspicious activity going on, with behavior similar to a virus or malware. Even though I'm not infected.

I was only in Bit Torrent for three hours, with the Tor Network engaged, the other day, after being inactive for a month, and next day, sure enough, got another one of these Comcast notices.

Either way, Comcast seems to be able to detect some unwanted or irregular activity anytime I use Bit Torrent for any reason, for any length of time. When I don't use Bit Torrent, I never get messages from Comcast.

What's the deal?

I, uh . . . don't know what that bat thing is you're talking about . . .

So do you know if you get the messages when you use the bat thing without Thor? Because . . . . because . . . a friend of mine does it that way and wanted me to ask.

Date: October 20, 2011 02:11AM
So do you know if you get the messages when you use the bat thing without Thor? Because . . . . because . . . a friend of mine does it that way and wanted me to ask.

No, only when I use the Tor network (which I don't claim to fully understand, it's a mid-range attempt to avoid or delay detection by trackers that collect and report) the downside appears to be, that it makes it look like my computer is a breeding ground of infection, a completely false signal.

I don't know how to set up a proxy, or do any of that technically-advanced Bit Torrent mojo. Wish I did.

When I use Bit Torrent using a regular, unaltered internet connection (with my I.P. apparently easily visible, and network and download activity easy to detect) I don't get that Comcast letter. Instead, I've gotten... the other ...Comcast warning letter...
Date: October 20, 2011 07:08AM
guitarist
When I use Bit Torrent using a regular, unaltered internet connection (with my I.P. apparently easily visible, and network and download activity easy to detect) I don't get that Comcast letter. Instead, I've gotten... the other ...Comcast warning letter...

The one that names a naughty file by name?

Posted by: Mr645
Date: October 20, 2011 07:41AM
hmm, never got a warning from Comcast (My ISP) and there are times I use Bit Torrent for days at a time, both uploading and downloading. Legal content. but I'll DL 3-6 GB and upload about 1/2 that over a 2-3 day period
Posted by: pinion
Date: October 20, 2011 07:55AM
One time I had downloaded the client for some game. Their official download used bittorent I guess inside of the game and I had left for the weekend so I was uploading to everyone else. This made comcast think I had a bot on one of my computers. When I called they told me what kind of traffic I was getting and I remembered that and sure enough my computer was pegging my upload throughput. Maybe you're doing some heavy downloading and/or uploading for extended periods of time?

---"Yer all idiots." elmo3
[forums.macresource.com]
Date: October 20, 2011 03:31PM
pinion
One time I had downloaded the client for some game. Their official download used bittorent I guess inside of the game and I had left for the weekend so I was uploading to everyone else. This made comcast think I had a bot on one of my computers. When I called they told me what kind of traffic I was getting and I remembered that and sure enough my computer was pegging my upload throughput. Maybe you're doing some heavy downloading and/or uploading for extended periods of time?

You can throttle uploads, and calibrate this stuff. Most beginner-level folks just leave the default settings.

To Black: yes, the one that names names.

Not a good sign, to know activity is detected, logged, and acted on. It helps me understand why the Bit-Torrent world has layers and layers of expertise involved, hobbyists, technically-aware guys who know how to use plug ins, proxies, fine-tune settings, etc., in order to not step on any toes, or raise red flags.

Until I understand this better, I'm taking a pause. I've had to set aside my log ins, until I have more time to do more research and get better informed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login