advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
GPS update. They cost money?
Posted by: samintx
Date: November 14, 2011 07:25AM
I have a Magellan Maestro 4040 and notice even in my town there are new addresses it is not finding. Do you have to buy updates to maps? I guess that from searching. I guess I go to the Magellan website? and download new firmware?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: GPS update. They cost money?
Posted by: Jem
Date: November 14, 2011 07:58AM
On Garmin's the onetime map update cost is $49. If you purchase a "lifetime" of free updates it is $89. not sure what it would be for a Magellan.

When buying a GPS sometimes you can pay a little more to get it bundled with the free Lifetime maps update.

But in general, yeah, you have to pay for map updates.

Seems like a racket given the proportion of the cost of a new GPS unit these updates represent.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: November 14, 2011 08:10AM
Jem
Seems like a racket given the proportion of the cost of a new GPS unit these updates represent.

I think the maps and the software that calculates the routes, etc. is where the cost is. GPS receivers are useless without maps and I don't think the receiver part itself is that expensive anymore.
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: November 14, 2011 08:13AM
Everything Jem said I'll second. Basically, if a GPS I have doesn't have lifetime updates bundled with it when I bought it, I give it to one of the kids or a friend after a couple of years and buy a new one at Costco or on Black Friday for not much more than the price the update would be. I figure after a couple of years there ought to be enough new technology to merit an upgrade, and the old one is living on borrow time. And yes, if you want to update you go to the Magellan site.
Date: November 14, 2011 08:20AM
I went to the Magellan site and it is a mess IMO. Not user friendly. I think the advice to just buy a new one is practical because the updates I note cost 99.00 and up. Thanks. Good tips.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: November 14, 2011 09:22AM
zeppo2
Everything Jem said I'll second. Basically, if a GPS I have doesn't have lifetime updates bundled with it when
I bought it, I give it to one of the kids or a friend after a couple of years and buy a new one at Costco or on
Black Friday for not much more than the price the update would be. I figure after a couple of years there
ought to be enough new technology to merit an upgrade, and the old one is living on borrow time.
And yes, if you want to update you go to the Magellan site.

agree smiley

Someone had a Garmin with lifetime maps and traffic for a little over $100 in one of yesterdays ads.
We're still using our 2 year old Garmin 255W with the original maps and then I have my iPhone too
so we're pretty well covered.

Grateful11
Posted by: abevilac
Date: November 14, 2011 01:11PM
Grateful11, do you have any idea of who had the unit for $100?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 14, 2011 01:38PM
I think buy.com had a Tom Tom for $100 with lifetime maps.

It was a cnet cheapskate deal.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: November 14, 2011 03:01PM
I have to have the one's that talk because my old eyes just can't function on those small screens. I priced a lifetime maps (just one model) Magellan at 199.00. Wow...I don't know if at my age "lifetime" maps is worth it!
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 14, 2011 04:56PM
it's the age old razors/blades, and printers/ink carts.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 14, 2011 05:56PM
If you go the the Magellan website, you would see that an update isn't available for your GPS. So, if it's outdated you will need a new gps.
Posted by: decay
Date: November 14, 2011 06:36PM
check this site
[www.easygps.com]

FREE GPS Software for your Garmin, Magellan or Lowrance GPS

EasyGPS is the fast and easy way to upload and download waypoints, routes, and tracks between your Windows computer and your Garmin, Magellan, or Lowrance GPS. EasyGPS lists all of your waypoints on the left side of the screen, and shows a plot of your GPS data on the right. Use EasyGPS to back up and organize your GPS data, print maps, or load new waypoints onto your GPS for your next hike or geocaching adventure.

EasyGPS works with every popular handheld GPS receiver, and it is 100% FREE!

EasyGPS runs on Windows XP, Vista, and 7.
New features were added to EasyGPS 4.29 on July 20, 2011

EasyGPS works with hundreds of GPS receivers, including all Garmin nüvi, eTrex, Colorado, Dakota, GPSMAP, Edge, Montana, Oregon, and Rino models, Magellan eXplorist, Meridian, and SporTrak GPS receivers, and Lowrance iFinder, Endura, HDS, LCX, and LMS GPS chartplotters and fishfinders.

---
Posted by: billb
Date: November 14, 2011 08:44PM
samintx
I have a Magellan Maestro 4040 and notice even in my town there are new addresses it is not finding. Do you have to buy updates to maps?

looks like the newest map update AutonavDirect has was 2009
[www.autonavdirect.com]

the instructions there will show you where to look on the 4040 menu for your current version to see if you even need to upgrade

For $60.00 I think some of the above advice regarding putting the money towards something newer makes a lot of sense.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 14, 2011 10:53PM
decay
check this site
[www.easygps.com]

FREE GPS Software for your Garmin, Magellan or Lowrance GPS

EasyGPS is the fast and easy way to upload and download waypoints, routes, and tracks between your Windows computer and your Garmin, Magellan, or Lowrance GPS. EasyGPS lists all of your waypoints on the left side of the screen, and shows a plot of your GPS data on the right. Use EasyGPS to back up and organize your GPS data, print maps, or load new waypoints onto your GPS for your next hike or geocaching adventure.

EasyGPS works with every popular handheld GPS receiver, and it is 100% FREE!

EasyGPS runs on Windows XP, Vista, and 7.
New features were added to EasyGPS 4.29 on July 20, 2011

EasyGPS works with hundreds of GPS receivers, including all Garmin nüvi, eTrex, Colorado, Dakota, GPSMAP, Edge, Montana, Oregon, and Rino models, Magellan eXplorist, Meridian, and SporTrak GPS receivers, and Lowrance iFinder, Endura, HDS, LCX, and LMS GPS chartplotters and fishfinders.

Neat, but I don't think that it will update maps.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 175
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020