advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $102.50 ( +0.25 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
If iPhone 4s dies in 2nd year of contract, and no Applecare, HOW Much to replace?
Posted by: Microman
Date: November 14, 2011 06:29PM
How much does Apple charge to replace a broken iPhone 4s if your out of warranty?

$199 would be reasonable.

Apple care + today only for me.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: If iPhone 4s dies in 2nd year of contract, and no Applecare, HOW Much to replace?
Posted by: AllGold
Date: November 14, 2011 07:46PM
If it's out of warranty, wouldn't it be the full price?

Re: If iPhone 4s dies in 2nd year of contract, and no Applecare, HOW Much to replace?
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 14, 2011 08:36PM
AllGold
If it's out of warranty, wouldn't it be the full price?

I think they still give you a discount, I saw a guy at the genius bar with a cracked screen iPhone and he got a refurbished unit for $99 or $199 (I was not paying attention).
Posted by: Microman
Date: November 14, 2011 08:43PM
I thought since they always seems to give customers a break, maybe it would be lower, as you were trading in a bad one.
Anonymous User
Date: November 14, 2011 09:20PM
You may replace it with an iPhone 5. smiling smiley
Posted by: Robert M
Date: November 14, 2011 09:33PM
Micro,

$199? You're kidding, right? You may not have to pay full price - replacing a broken out of warranty Airport Extreme Base Station is discounted so it may be the same with an iPhone - but I doubt it'll be that cheap. Consider... A discounted 64 gig IPhone 4S bought via contract is $399.99. I can't imagine Apple under any circumstances replacing a broken 64 gig 4S for just $199.99.

Remember, when you're talking a replacement for an out-of-warranty phone, you're not talking a discounted contract pricing. If the phone breaks and it's out of warranty, you have to cough the bucks for a non-contract/non-upgrade discounted phone. In all likelihood, you're looking at full price and for the more spacious models like the 32 gig and 64 gig, you're talking big bucks.

Robert
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 14, 2011 09:34PM
String-pig
You may replace it with an iPhone 5. smiling smiley

Historically, that has certainly been the case for AT&T.

I will be able to upgrade this iPhone 4 after about 18 months.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: November 15, 2011 12:43AM
$199.

Remember, this is a repair rate. You're not buying a new phone outright. It's just that for iPhones, Apple tends to do a swap, rather than repair your actual phone.

[support.apple.com]

Out-of-Warranty Service
If you own an iPhone that is ineligible for warranty service but is eligible for Out-of-Warranty (OOW) Service, Apple will service your iPhone for the Out-of-Warranty Service fee listed below.

iPhone model Out-of-Warranty Service
iPhone 4S $199
iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS,
iPhone 3G, Original iPhone $149

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2011 12:44AM by Gareth.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: November 15, 2011 05:25AM
Gareth,

Excellent link. Bear in mind, Micro asked about buy a replacement, not repairing the existing one. But, assuming the phone can be repaired, what determines if an IPhone is eligible for Out-Of-Warranty (OOW) service? The site doesn't offer any information about it. Does make you wonder if they do any checking to confirm ownership of the phone and similar such checks.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2011 05:28AM by Robert M.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: November 15, 2011 06:40AM
Why not wait for a 30% off sale and pick up the Square Trade warranty instead?
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: November 15, 2011 07:40AM
Microman
How much does Apple charge to replace a broken iPhone 4s if your out of warranty?

You're on AT&T?

AT&T often lets people upgrade their phones a few months early for the contract-price on the new phone. Give 'em a call.

...And you should be able to purchase AppleCare+ from AT&T at the same time as the new phone.
Posted by: dmann
Date: November 15, 2011 10:45AM
Chakravartin
Microman

You're on AT&T?

AT&T often lets people upgrade their phones a few months early for the contract-price on the new phone. Give 'em a call.

...And you should be able to purchase AppleCare+ from AT&T at the same time as the new phone.

Yes. Since I've moved to the iPhone, I find that I am eligible for an upgrade 18-20 months into my 24 month contract. In fact, I can upgrade my 4 now and my contract isn't up until March. I'm just waiting for a 4s refurb to show its face and it will be mine! smiling smiley

DM
Posted by: DavidS
Date: November 15, 2011 12:02PM
This is based on experience with my wife's iPhone 4 and niece's iPhone 3GS. When you take a broken, out of warranty phone to the Apple Store, they will replace it for $199. You do not get a new, in box phone, but a refurb from behind the counter.

One of these was a cracked screen, the other was water damage.

I have no idea what they do with the old iPhone. I was just happy to only have to pay $199 to get a working phone.

Robert M
Gareth,

Excellent link. Bear in mind, Micro asked about buy a replacement, not repairing the existing one. But, assuming the phone can be repaired, what determines if an IPhone is eligible for Out-Of-Warranty (OOW) service? The site doesn't offer any information about it. Does make you wonder if they do any checking to confirm ownership of the phone and similar such checks.

Robert
Re: ......HOW Much to replace?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 15, 2011 04:00PM
.....a lifetime of trouble.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: tiger285
Date: April 21, 2012 07:39PM
quick questions guys, I bought a iphone 4s from a friend without a contract. After i updated it to IOS 5.1 my wifi was grayed out. Do you think apple would still replace or fix my phones? remember that i do not have a contract with any service provider, but the iphone is still under its 1 year warranty.

I would really appreciate your help!
THANK YOU!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login