The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
PSA - Package thieves are out there
Posted by: Robert M
Date: December 10, 2011 07:34AM
PSA - Package thieves are out there

Hi everyone,

I’m fortunate enough to have the option of having purchases of all types delivered to my office. However, many of you may not enjoy this luxury and must have packages delivered to your homes.

I just read in today’s newspaper that package thievery is on the rise. Apparently, in this case in Nassau County, NY, the thief was caught on surveilence going from home to home and grabbing packages off doorsteps. The thief literally grabbed the package and put it into his car. The camera caught him in action and you could see the vehicle already had a large number of packages in it. The police think he might have been following a delivery truck. This took place in Hicksville, NY. When it comes to Long Island, Hicksville isn’t the best area but it is far from being considered a bad area.

While this isn’t an issue that will affect me directly per say, it may be a problem for other members of the forum and it can happen anywhere, good or bad area alike. I figured it’s a good time to remind people to take care when having goods delivered to your door. If need be, consider renting a box from a local mailbox store for receiving packages. Under other circumstances, I'd be renting one.

Robert
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: PSA - Package thieves are out there
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: December 10, 2011 12:32PM
GREAT point, Robert!

Thank you VERY much for the heads up!!!!

I'm aware of that very type of criminal activity occurring here in my Philadelphia neighborhood.

I, too, can have packages delivered to my place of work, but as I'll have some days off in the next two weeks, I may opt to have things delivered to my home, and will have ot be extra vigilant!!!!

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 10, 2011 12:35PM
I've only had stuff stolen once. It was from Amazon, and they sent me a replacement for no charge.
Posted by: Black
Date: December 10, 2011 12:57PM
My luck could change tomorrow, but I live in one of the most densely populated parts of Chicago, and have not had this sort of problem to date.
It could be that it's less likely where there are more "eyes to the street."

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: December 10, 2011 12:59PM
Haven't had the issue here. However, anyone taking anything from our porch will be caught on security camera. So, they may get more than they bargained for.
Date: December 10, 2011 01:01PM
macphanatic
Haven't had the issue here. However, anyone taking anything from our porch will be caught on security camera. So, they may get more than they bargained for.

Maybe, maybe not.

People send me security footage and stills of bike thieves all the time, and practically none of them are ever identified or caught. If you pointed your camera towards where a license plate might be, you might have a chance.

Posted by: decocritter
Date: December 10, 2011 01:34PM
It happens in my neighborhood so often, that the local Ace Hardware has agreed to be a delivery spot for packages. I think theft is higher in "nice" neighborhoods because the $$$ of the packages is higher.

They have been getting them on security camera in Atlanta, too.

It is the reason I was so excitable about the new delivery person and his lack of caring or concern. He cannot find house numbers that are on the buildings. Thieves are scouting for electronic/computer deliveries.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 10, 2011 02:06PM
I had a package stolen from my front porch Xmastime 2002. UPS did cover the replacement, but they will no longer leave a package without a signature. NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!!!
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 10, 2011 03:07PM
Racer X
UPS ... will no longer leave a package without a signature. NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!!!

Which is the way it should be in the first place.

It is what it is.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: December 10, 2011 03:12PM
Black
macphanatic

Maybe, maybe not.

People send me security footage and stills of bike thieves all the time, and practically none of them are ever identified or caught. If you pointed your camera towards where a license plate might be, you might have a chance.

Got that covered too.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 10, 2011 06:17PM
....do they only steal or do they also fondle the PACKAGES.......?????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: billb
Date: December 10, 2011 06:35PM
some cut a hole in the box

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Carm
Date: December 10, 2011 07:28PM
billb
And stick their blue finger tip in it?

J. Carm
Date: December 11, 2011 07:42AM
billb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 252
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015