advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Mini DV Cassette Tape Question
Posted by: neophyte
Date: December 10, 2011 10:07AM
I have a Panasonic GS 320, non-HD camcorder. Can I use Sony Premium DVC-60 PRR tapes? Are they backwards compatible with non-HD recorders?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Mini DV Cassette Tape Question
Posted by: mikebw
Date: December 10, 2011 11:03AM
MiniDV tapes can be used for both DV and HDV video recorders.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: December 10, 2011 12:19PM
Not to sound flippant, how does it matter, being digital?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 10, 2011 12:40PM
The size of magnetic domains vary with different hard drives. The density has been increasing for a long time. Why couldn't the same thing be true for video tape?
Date: December 10, 2011 02:08PM
I expect it would be true for video tape, but an increase in density in video tape wouldn't make a difference unless the camera could utilize the increase in density. Seems that would require a different format. But we're talking switching tapes, not cameras, right?

I guess my question is sort of rhetorical - marketing BS makes it seem like there would be a difference, like you'd get better results from HD tape.

The same dilemma (BS?) rears its head for me when I see "for Music" or "for Data" on CDR's. If it's digital, it's just ones and zeros. It either records those, or it doesn't. No?

Analog, I can see where there could be a difference, and I recall there was favored tape in the VHS and cassette world. Maxell comes to mind.
Posted by: GGD
Date: December 10, 2011 03:42PM
lost in space
The same dilemma (BS?) rears its head for me when I see "for Music" or "for Data" on CDR's. If it's digital, it's just ones and zeros. It either records those, or it doesn't. No?

There actually was a technical difference between the Music and Data CD-Rs. There were standalone CD-Recorders that required the Music blanks and would not accept the data blanks. This was to enforce some sort of kickback to the RIAA.

But when the sales person tells you that "These discs will give you better sound than those", that's total BS.

Initially in the United States, there was a market separation between "music" CD-Rs and "data" CD-Rs, the former being several times more expensive than the latter due to industry copyright arrangements with the RIAA. Physically, there is no difference between the discs save for the Disc Application Flag that identifies their type: standalone audio recorders will only accept "music" CD-Rs to enforce the RIAA arrangement, while computer CD-R drives can use either type of media to burn either type of content.

[en.wikipedia.org]
Date: December 11, 2011 02:37PM
GGD
lost in space

There actually was a technical difference between the Music and Data CD-Rs. There were standalone CD-Recorders that required the Music blanks and would not accept the data blanks. This was to enforce some sort of kickback to the RIAA.
<snip>

I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the enlightenment.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 234
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020