advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $99.76 ( +2.09 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How to find PC software so I can tether Verizon phone with unlimited data plan?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: December 29, 2011 04:36PM
Walmart has a prepaid no contract Verizon phone plan for $50 a month with a $20 phone that states it has unlimited data. A worker there said he thought it could be tethered if I had the right Windows software (he didn't know of any Mac software.) From Googling, I assume the software is 3rd party and Verizon probably tries to squash it. Does anyone know how to find the software? Mac software would be nice.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How to find PC software so I can tether Verizon phone with unlimited data plan?
Posted by: Winston
Date: December 29, 2011 04:51PM
Probably depends on software on the phone rather than on the computer. The phone needs to be set up to translate the mobile wireless signal to USB (which might need a software driver on the computer), Bluetooth or WiFi (neither of which would require software on the computer).

So, what kind of phone? Start with that and do some googling about setting it up for sharing internet.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Re: How to find PC software so I can tether Verizon phone with unlimited data plan?
Posted by: Black
Date: December 29, 2011 05:14PM
As Winston said, there's no way to start to answer without knowing which specific phone model.

MR/F Guestmap: [www.mapservices.org]
Date: December 29, 2011 06:10PM
I couldn't find a phone model, other than it was an LG. They were in clamshells. Maybe the Walmart guy would know, if I can find him again. He's the only Walmart guy I've found that knew very much.

Would the phone software have to come from Verizon? I don't know anything about phones. Verizon is not down with it; it's semi-legal, I think.
Date: December 29, 2011 06:25PM
Dennis S
I couldn't find a phone model, other than it was an LG. They were in clamshells. Maybe the Walmart guy would know, if I can find him again. He's the only Walmart guy I've found that knew very much.

Would the phone software have to come from Verizon? I don't know anything about phones. Verizon is not down with it; it's semi-legal, I think.

It is possible that Verizon offers a "wifi hotspot" option with that phone. I know some of the carriers formally offer that with certain phones (typically smart phones). However, they also charge an extra monthly fee for the service, comparable to what they'd charge for a stand-alone device like the MiFi.
[www.verizonwireless.com]

However in many cases there are third-party ways to enable features like this without going through the carrier. But doing that depends on the specific model of phone and often on the specific software on the phone.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: December 29, 2011 07:29PM
The seemingly very knowledgeable Verizon person I talked to had no solution for unlimited data on my computer.
Date: December 29, 2011 07:50PM
Dennis S
The seemingly very knowledgeable Verizon person I talked to had no solution for unlimited data on my computer.

That's because they don't offer a fixed price unlimited mobile data plan. From the link I posted above, clicking "View All Plans" down on the page takes you here:

Then scroll down to the "Data Plans" section to view prices for Smart Phones and Basic Phones, or click the tab for "Mobile Broadband Devices" to see individual computer or mobile hotspot fees:

2GB – $30/Month 5GB – $50/Month 10GB – $80/Month
Overage: $10.00/GB

So, not necessarily any cap on usage, but also no cap on fees.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: December 29, 2011 08:11PM
Yes, there is no official Verizon plan that does what I want - to get unlimited high-speed internet to my computer. But, I'm hoping there is a tether solution that is not sanctioned but not illegal. The plan above would get too expensive to stream movies and TV.
Date: December 29, 2011 09:12PM
Have you looked at Verizon's prepaid options? The $50 unlimited data option appears to have several phones. (Only one listed on Walmart's site, an LG flip phone.)

You might also want to look at Sprint and Clear, as well as Page Plus, which is a Verizon MVNO.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: December 29, 2011 09:27PM
Yeah, the Walmart Prepaid Verizon $50 per month unlimited data plan is what I'm asking about, so I can hopefully tether it. I'm not very knowledgeable on this stuff. All they had on the shelf were LG phones and I couldn't get the model number because they were in a clamshell. So, is there a phone that is known to have the required software that will work on that plan?

Sprint doesn't have very good reception here in the boondocks of Arkansas. Neither does AT&T.
Date: December 29, 2011 10:16PM
If you click on "Price Info" in the box that mentions the $50 prepaid plan on the page I linked to, a popup window has some details, including this footnote:

**Mobile Web does not provide full web browsing.

Don't know what that means, but it might be a deal breaker.

As for picking a phone, go through the prepaid phones Verizon lists on its site for the $50 plan, then google "tether (phone name") and see what you can find. (Tethering is the term for using a phone for internet service for a computer, even if they are not physically connected.)

An alternative is to try to find a used Verizon phone that can be easily tethered and activate it on the $50 prepaid plan. In theory you should be able to use any Verizon phone on the prepaid plan.

You might want to do another post with a topic like "Any Verizon phones that are easy to tether to a computer for internet?" or "Anyone doing tethering with a Verizon phone?", then ask how people set it up. Those are more general topics than asking about PC software for a specific phone (on a Mac forum) and may get more responses.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: December 29, 2011 10:37PM
[vzam.net]

Scroll down about a third of the page for a list of handsets and the software. That Wally World LG is most likely the 5600 (Accolade) which is not listed. But other newer and older LG models are listed with the same software version. Most likely, if it works to allow tethering, it will bring your web browser to a VZW page asking which tethering plan you want to get, and how you wish to pay. Unlimited web access for a computer or tablet on VZW is long gone.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login