advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Looking for an ISP in San Francisco Bay Area...
Posted by: jonny
Date: January 05, 2012 01:00PM
Anyone have a DSL Internet service provider they love? I'm ready to ditch Cyberonic. DSL reports seems to like sonic.net. Anyone else ?

Thanks all,
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Looking for an ISP in San Francisco Bay Area...
Posted by: earache
Date: January 05, 2012 01:23PM
Sonic is the best around here. I've been with them for 15+ years and have no complaints.

earache
Posted by: jonny
Date: January 05, 2012 01:33PM
Oh my God. It's an incredible deal! $40 a month gets you up to 20 megs down and a landline! Right now I'm paying AT&T $50 for my landline and my ISP $40 a month!

Sign me up!
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: January 05, 2012 01:50PM
It seems to be limited to AT&T telephone users. I am getting an error message when entering my home phone #:

Oops! We weren't able to find the AT&T phone number you entered. Please try another number or call 1 (888) 766-4233 for assistance.

I pay $60/month for Verizon DSL & home telephone service. I guess that this service is only available to NoCal residents?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2012 01:52PM by the_poochies.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 05, 2012 01:51PM
I am paying $15 for 2.5 mbps from AT&T. Total bill is usually under $41. I am too far away from the Sonic office to get 20 Mbps.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 05, 2012 02:54PM
You should have Uverse avaialble.

Im paying $117 for 12 mbps DSL/unlimted phone/U450 plan (which is their top everything plan)

Great deal for TV, crappy deal for a land line and so-so for the net.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: numbered
Date: January 05, 2012 03:01PM
Sonic is fantastic. Support is outstanding. And they are trying to compete with the incumbents in Northern California.

They sold regular DSL for a number of years. However with the Bush FCC decision to abandon line sharing, Sonic decided they needed to do something different to survive. (The decision said that incumbents did not need to share any new facilities.) Sonic created the Fusion product mentioned above. But to get it you need to be within 7 or 8k feet from the phone company (AT&T) Central Office. (Since I am behind a remote terminal I only have a choice of uVerse or Comcast if I want more than 6mbs.)

What is great is that Sonic has announced that they will do fiber in San Francisco. And they intend to compete elsewhere.

They are the only company in this space that I know has customers beg them to come to their geography.

They seem to be the only ISP that is really trying to compete against the duopoly.
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: January 05, 2012 07:13PM
I used to co-locate a server at Sonic in Santa Rosa.
They are really good people there.

+100

I do believe they are limited to Bay Area/NorCal, though.
Don't think their lines reach anywhere near the_poochies of New Jersey (I think you're NJ, maybe not).

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 150
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018