advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Hwy 101 -Amazing rescue effort after truck slams BMW into bridge -
Posted by: Grace62
Date: January 13, 2012 01:34PM
Driver and both children passengers survived this. Hanging off the 100-foot high bridge for an hour? Pretty amazing rescue. Good safety performance for the Beemer.

[www.ksby.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Hwy 101 -Amazing rescue effort after truck slams BMW into bridge -
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: January 13, 2012 01:42PM
I've driven that road tons of times. Wow!
Posted by: billb
Date: January 13, 2012 01:52PM
[www.urbandictionary.com]

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 13, 2012 01:57PM
"The trucker died when his rig crashed into the creek and burst into flames."

How dramatic.
Date: January 13, 2012 01:58PM
billb
[www.urbandictionary.com]

OK, Bimmer!

Thanks for the correction bill.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 13, 2012 02:11PM
Good rescue.. we've had a few of those on the bridge over the Cuyahoga. Sad that the truck driver died in the accident.

Beemer, Bimmer. Potato, Potato. I learned "Beemer" in high school in the 70's.

Or you can simply say "Bayerische Motoren Werke", and confuse everyone.
Posted by: davester
Date: January 13, 2012 02:15PM
It should be "bammer" as in "bavarian".

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 13, 2012 02:22PM
From the *looks* of the wreckage, it doesn't seem to me that the BMW was particularly effective in preserving life.

I like to find out how that collision occurred.

Good to hear there were some survivors.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: January 13, 2012 02:41PM
It's what happens inside the car, where the passengers are, that matters. Looking at that car you'd expect the people inside to be dead. The driver was alert and looking around during the rescue and didn't appear to have head injury.
I don't know what model or year BMW this is, but the newer 5 series has curtain airbags front, side, under the knees, and coming down from the roof. It also collapses on the outside during a crash in way that prevents passengers from getting injured by the car's frame.

Anyway, whatever features this car has, hopefully they are OK.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2012 02:43PM by Grace62.
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: January 13, 2012 03:15PM
That's about a half an hour from me...glad I wasn't down in Santa Barbara yesterday.
Posted by: digby
Date: January 13, 2012 06:23PM
Grace62
It's what happens inside the car, where the passengers are, that matters. Looking at that car you'd expect the people inside to be dead. The driver was alert and looking around during the rescue and didn't appear to have head injury.
I don't know what model or year BMW this is, but the newer 5 series has curtain airbags front, side, under the knees, and coming down from the roof. It also collapses on the outside during a crash in way that prevents passengers from getting injured by the car's frame.

Had a small BMW back in the 70s (a 2002) -- I kept hoping someone would hit me. Even before airbags, I knew I'd survive, the car felt so solid, even the doors felt like I was swinging 100 lbs of solid steel when I slammed them.
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: January 13, 2012 07:17PM
My wife has an '02 BMW 3 Series, and I can attest to the fact that they are VERY well built!

Everything just feels solid and tight in ways that my '02 Buick does not. I love my Buick, but I don't think it's nearly as well built as the Beemer (Bimmer).

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: January 13, 2012 09:10PM
RAMd®d
From the *looks* of the wreckage, it doesn't seem to me that the BMW was particularly effective in preserving life.

Huh? What's your criteria of effectiveness, the appearance of the wreckage, or the condition of the passengers? 3 for 3 in a collision of that nature sound pretty effective to me.

If it was a Pinto or Crown Vic, the results could have been different.

Grace62
I don't know what model or year BMW this is...

Looks like an E90 3-series. Actually, the door handle suggests an E46.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2012 09:26PM by Bimwad.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 13, 2012 10:04PM
digby
Grace62

Had a small BMW back in the 70s (a 2002) -- I kept hoping someone would hit me. Even before airbags, I knew I'd survive, the car felt so solid, even the doors felt like I was swinging 100 lbs of solid steel when I slammed them.

were it an American car, it would have been 150 pounds of steel in the door. But yeah, those old 2002s are pretty sturdy. There is one in my neighborhood still in use. (and some Datsun bluebirds and roadsters)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2012 10:05PM by Racer X.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 15, 2012 01:29AM
Huh? What's your criteria of effectiveness,

My criteria for absolute effectiveness is a full-on accident investigation. There are a lot of factors that determine the outcome of a collision, more than a few of which are beyond the scope of manufacturer design.

We can sing the praises of brand and *assume* that because the people were alive, it's only because of the way the BMW is built. An assumption. Buy a particular brand and you'll be perfectly safe in a collision. It's a nice thought.

There comes a point in an impact that sufficient force will overcome any safety margin provided by vehicle design. Hence my emphasis on "*looks*" and the subsequent remark about wanting to know more about how this occurred.

If you prefer the simplistic assumption of "3 for 3" as some sort of absolute proof, fine by me. But without seeing the results of an actual AI, I'll not jump to any conclusion more than "seems to me".

If it was a Pinto or Crown Vic, the results could have been different.

An astute observation.

And there could have been the same "3 for 3" result. "Would have" and "could have" are not the same. Crush zones and airbags notwithstanding, without knowing all the facts it's just so much cracker barrel conjecture.

As I said, I'd like to find out how that collision occurred.

Feel free to untwist your knickers.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 206
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020