advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
cell phone question
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 13, 2012 01:47PM
I have seen several cases similar to this: one lady waiting at the deli, she talk on her cell phone, then her turn comes and she talks to the deli clerk for about a minute or two, and then she puts the cell phone to her ear and says "talk to you later, bye" and hangs up. Why didn't she say that before talking to the deli clerk? If you were on the other end of the phone call, would you feel offended by her behaviors? BTW, I have seen men doing this too.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: cell phone question
Posted by: billb
Date: January 13, 2012 02:05PM

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 13, 2012 02:08PM
It's a rudeness thing. I see it all the time. And the clerk, who is working for minimum wage, feels more and more like a piece of furniture. And yes, a quick desire to correct the person's rude behavior percolates up from my subconscious.

I refuse to talk or even answer the phone when I'm in front of the clerk. If I'm on a call, I will end the call and hang up.

I then address the clerk by the name on their name tag, smile, and we do the necessary business of commerce. At the conclusion I then smile and thank the clerk, again by name.

As bad as my memory is, I'm very appreciative when people wear nametags ! old fogey smiley

Clerks remember nice customers. I always get a nice smile and a wave, even when I meet them around town. And since most of them are cute young ladies, I get to feel like a dirty old man. Which can also be entertaining. devil smiley
Posted by: raz
Date: January 13, 2012 02:43PM
Agreed.

But the counterpart bugs me even more.

If I'm at the counter and the store phone rings, woe betide the clerk who says anything more than 'Thank you for calling X. I'm with a customer right now, can you hold?".

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: January 13, 2012 02:46PM
Most people aren't aware of their own cell phone boorishness. It's a pity that a basic etiquette class isn't a requirement of the cell phone plan. Worse than the line talker is the conversationalist that answers or initiates a lengthy call while dining out with others; the rest of their party are forced to listen while their presence is all but forgotten. When I rise to power, I will publicly admonish this rudeness with the swift crack of my whip. damn you smiley

Le po├Ęte doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine
Posted by: graylocks
Date: January 13, 2012 06:08PM
raz
Agreed.

But the counterpart bugs me even more.

If I'm at the counter and the store phone rings, woe betide the clerk who says anything more than 'Thank you for calling X. I'm with a customer right now, can you hold?".

there's another counter (pun intended) part. the customer on a call who steps up to his/her turn and makes the clerk/barista and everyone behind them wait until s/he finishes their freakin' call all the while holding up one shushing finger in the universal sign for 'i'll be done in just a sec!'

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: davester
Date: January 13, 2012 06:46PM
This isn't a cell phone question. It's a "why are some people rude" question.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 13, 2012 07:53PM
Marc,

I disagree. I think the people _are_ aware of their boorishness. They just don't care at all. To them, other people are simply irrelevant unless someone does something to puts the obnoxious boor in his/her place. I've seen it happen quite a few times. Boy, does it make for great entertainment. 'course, I've also been the one to put the person in his/her place on a few occasions. Everyone clapped the last time I did it. smiling smiley

Robert

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2012 07:57PM by Robert M.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 205
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020