Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $102.14 ( +2.38 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Refrig Irish Creme after opening?
Posted by: samintx
Date: December 31, 2005 07:09PM
It has been so long since I had a bottle...think I did refrig, however, after opening

Maybe there won't be any left.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Refrig Irish Creme after opening?
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: December 31, 2005 07:16PM
It usually never lasts long enough to worry about, but I have never refrigerated it.
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: December 31, 2005 07:17PM
You don't need to refrigerate it.
Posted by: rgG
Date: December 31, 2005 07:23PM
I must disagree if it is Bailey's Irish Creme. I found this on-line and I had a bottle go really bad that wasn't refrigerated.

"Baileys' Original Irish Cream Liqueur
There is a very good reason for success of many of the classic spirit brands beyond marketing strategies and savvy—they taste great! Bailey's, the number one selling liqueur in the world, proves this yet again in our tastings with its lush, fresh cream character, gentle nuttiness, and perfectly balanced dash of Irish whiskey. Make sure to refrigerate the bottle after you open it or try the convenient new “minis” package."

Alpharetta, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: wurm
Date: December 31, 2005 07:36PM
My brothers and I cleaned out Dad's house just over a year ago (he passed last November) and in the cabinet was an unopened bottle of Bailey's Irish Creme. I figured it might be nice to toast him with it, so we grabbed a few glasses and cracked open the bottle. I can't begin to describe what was congealed in the neck of the bottle, but suffice to say it didn't pour.

We had a few beers, instead.
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: December 31, 2005 07:41PM
I thought that the balance of alcohol to cream was supposed to act like a preservative which meant it didn't need refridgeration. Maybe I've been lucky because I don't refridgerate it and i've never had a bottle go bad.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Date: December 31, 2005 07:53PM
wurm,
That is what happened to the bottle I had, but it had been opened. It was really gross.
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: December 31, 2005 07:54PM
When I was a bartender we never refrigerated that stuff. Are you telling me that all those people puking their guts out in the parking lot were actually SICK? Oh, dear.
Posted by: Pam
Date: December 31, 2005 08:01PM
You don't need to refrigerate it, but it does have a shelf life. Refrigeration won't help that either.
Date: December 31, 2005 08:04PM
Gutie,
I think it takes a while. The bottle I had that went bad had been sitting in the cabinet for a long time. I sure hated to have to throw it out. It's one of the few unmixed drinks I really like the taste of.

Posted by: joycee
Date: December 31, 2005 08:19PM
The Bailey's website uses flash for the FAQ page. I have no idea how, other than a screenshot, to copy the info here. Argh.

Here's what the company says about it on this flash page: [www.us.baileys.com]

(And LOL that we're having a lively discussion of this on New Year's Eve! There's some excitement for ya!)

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´How about if you greased them up first? Are chihuahua's cooperative pack hunters? ~TheCaber
Date: December 31, 2005 08:43PM
Thanks joycee,
Better we have this discussion now than see one of those, "I was up all night driving the porcelain bus, do you think it could have been that 4 year old Bailey's?" threads tomorrow. :}

Alpharetta, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: mjgkramer
Date: December 31, 2005 09:30PM
We have never had an opened bottle of Irish Cream go bad even after several months, possibly a year. This is the case with Bailey's, Emmett's, and the brand that is sold at Sam's. We have found Emmett's to be a very good, significantly lower cost alternative to Bailey's. The one sold by Sam's is also quite acceptable, even though it comes in a plastic bottle.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: December 31, 2005 10:10PM
Here's 2 recipes for faux Irish Creme. I' haven't tried them:

Ingredients:

* 1 can Eagle sweetened condensed milk
* 1 cup Southern Comfort whiskey
* 2 tablespoons Hershey's syrup
* 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 2 cups half & half
* 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules

Directions:

Mix and bottle.

OR

1.5 C (12 oz) evaporated milk
1 C Irish whiskey
2/3 c granulated sugar
1 TBSP Hershey’s chocolate syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp instant coffee

makes 3 cups

Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: January 01, 2006 01:15AM
After you digest all this information, run out to the store and grab a pint of Baily's Irish Cream ice cream. Made by Haagendaz or Ben'n'Jerry's. Reeeeeaaaalllly good!
Posted by: earache
Date: January 01, 2006 09:29AM
I make my own Irish Cream every year for the holidays. Usually end up with about a gallon of the stuff. Luckily for me, most of it goes to friends and family. The rest stays with me and is kept in the fridge until consumed. My recipe is similar to the ones Dennis S found and definitely requires refridgeration... lot's of perishable ingredients in there. One recipe I found (haven't tried) has a couple of eggs in it, which I'm sure means it's got to be kept cold. Good stuff.

earache
Posted by: bangman
Date: January 01, 2006 10:43AM
I like Bailey's until I went to Haiti and drank something called Kremasse. It's homemade and people usually guard their recipes the way Coca Cola guards theirs. My guess is that it's rum, cream, coconut cream, nutmeg, and probably some mystery ingredients.

It is so good!

---------
3GHz - The clock is STILL ticking Steve.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login