advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Good sources for toner cartridges?
Posted by: Janit
Date: January 25, 2012 10:33AM
I need to replace the starter cartridge on my new HL-2270 DW. Can anyone recommend a reliable source for remanufactured cartridges at a good price? Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Good sources for toner cartridges?
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 25, 2012 10:50AM
No suggestion on the replacements, but you might be able to get some more use out of that existing cartridge. Brother uses a light shined through windows in the sides of the cartridges to detect the toner level. There is usually more toner left when the sensor says it's empty.

By putting some tape over the holes used to sense the level (I usually put them on the hole in the drum plastic rather than the toner cartridge), it will never give the toner empty error, and you can shake the cartridge to distribute the toner better and keep doing that until the print quality starts to deteriorate.

We have an HL-2070N and the starter cartridge said it was empty at 1549 pages, with the tape over the holes it printed another 1100 pages, about what one might expect from a full cartridge.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: January 25, 2012 10:52AM
I've been happy with LaserMonks, but it looks like the sold their business and dissolved the abbey. Shame. I always felt like printing and prayers went hand-in-hand.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: graylocks
Date: January 25, 2012 10:52AM
definitely do what GGD said and when you are truly out check Meritline.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 25, 2012 11:00AM
Janit,

Try tonergreen.com. While I'm not a fan of remanufactured cartridges - I prefer to use OEM whenever possible - tonergreen.com offered toner for an HL4040cn for reasonable prices. They shipped quickly. Packaged them nicely. Being that they are remanufactured toner cartridges, I am leery. But, for this particular printer, I don't really care. The OEM magenta toner cartridge leaked onto the drum and I haven't yet been successful in getting the leaked toner off it. That was the first reason for giving remanufactured toner a try. If Brother OEMs are going to leak, I may as well give remanufactured toner a try. The damage has already been done.

The HL4040cn burned through the cyan, magenta and yellow cartridges even though we've only printed less than 200 color pages with it. We're supposed to get _significantly_ more pages out of each color toner cartridge. This is despite the printer being in monochrome only mode set on the printer itself and also set via software preferences on our computers. This brings me to the other reason we gave tonergreen.com a try. The price was right for each color. So, for $83 or so, we got three color toners.

We haven't used them yet but I was impressed by the price, the delivery and the packaging. The toner cartridges themselves are Brother cartridges. So, for us, they didn't use a no-name brand cartridge, fill it with toner and then ship it out. To me, that's a good thing. Bit, again, we haven't used the cartridges yet so I can speak for how well they work. But, if they are anything like other remanufactured cartridges, they should be fine.

If they work well for the Brother, then we may give them a try for our other printers. Int he case of the Brother, I don't care if something happens to it. The printer is garbage and actually sat in the back room for more than two years before I decided to actually invest in color toner for it.

Robert

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2012 11:01AM by Robert M.
Posted by: Anthony
Date: January 25, 2012 11:04AM
Good results with Shopfortech.com

Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared. - Buddha...

anthonysalvo.com
Posted by: Janit
Date: January 25, 2012 11:17AM
GGD
No suggestion on the replacements, but you might be able to get some more use out of that existing cartridge. Brother uses a light shined through windows in the sides of the cartridges to detect the toner level. There is usually more toner left when the sensor says it's empty.

By putting some tape over the holes used to sense the level (I usually put them on the hole in the drum plastic rather than the toner cartridge), it will never give the toner empty error, and you can shake the cartridge to distribute the toner better and keep doing that until the print quality starts to deteriorate.

We have an HL-2070N and the starter cartridge said it was empty at 1549 pages, with the tape over the holes it printed another 1100 pages, about what one might expect from a full cartridge.

Thanks for the tip. The starter cartridge is rated at 700 and I've printed 500. I will use your tip to push it to the max, but the time has clearly come to stock up,
Date: January 25, 2012 11:22AM
GGD,

Where are the holes exactly? I can't imagine they are located in drastically different locations from cartridge to cartridge. It'd be nice to see if I can get more life out of the original ones in the 4040CN. Even starter cartridges should let me print more than 180 or so color pages.

Robert
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 25, 2012 11:39AM
Robert M
GGD,

Where are the holes exactly? I can't imagine they are located in drastically different locations from cartridge to cartridge. It'd be nice to see if I can get more life out of the original ones in the 4040CN. Even starter cartridges should let me print more than 180 or so color pages.

Robert

I don't have any experience with color cartridges, but on the B/W Brothers that I have, the windows look like a round clear plastic lens, about the size that a 3-hole paper punch would make. There are two of them, one on each side, around the lower center of the side edges. There are corresponding holes in the drum plastic, and that's a flatter surface, so I put the tape there on both sides, just need to block the light path.
Date: January 25, 2012 11:40AM
GGD,

Thanks... I'll take a looksie.

Robert
Posted by: M>B>
Date: January 25, 2012 11:51AM
I have had success with remanafactured toner carts form this site...

[www.printpal.com]

I can get some extra life out of my carts by taking it out and giving it a good shake then putting it back in.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: January 25, 2012 12:49PM
I've been very happy with Monoprice. Don't know if they have that cartridge.
Posted by: tenders
Date: January 25, 2012 01:12PM
Also had good luck with Monoprice. Their carts have been cheap and reliable enough for me to decide to never refill a cartridge again.
Posted by: ItsMeAlison
Date: January 25, 2012 05:21PM
I would highly recommend GreenPeakImaging.
They've supplied me with high quality toner and inks too. Very environmentally friendly/responsible if that makes a difference to you.
The owner, Dennis, is a longtime mac user too! Ask for him.
Local to me in New Jersey.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 269
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018