advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Bill Gates on Using His Money to Save Lives and Fix U.S. Schools, and Steve Jobs
Posted by: haikuman
Date: January 25, 2012 05:15PM
Pretty good Stuff ~!~

[news.yahoo.com]

By Bill Weir
For the moment, Bill Gates is no longer the world's wealthiest man.
But he didn't lose the title to Mexico's telecom titan Carlos Slim; he gave it away. And as a result, the businessman-turned-philanthropist can point to a different kind of scoreboard.

"Well, it's easiest to measure in the health work," Gates told me, "where over 5 million lives have been saved."

In a wide-ranging interview with Yahoo! and ABC News, the former head of Microsoft talked about how Steve Jobs' death affected him, his fix for American schools and his annual letter, which sets the priorities for one of the most generous charitable efforts in history.

With a pledge to give away 95 percent of Gates' personal wealth, the Gates Foundation claims to have granted more than $26 billion since 1994. While some of that money is devoted to improving U.S. education, roughly 75 percent goes to the poorest countries in the world, and Gates scoffs at the idea that the money would be better spent at home.

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Bill Gates on Using His Money to Save Lives and Fix U.S. Schools, and Steve Jobs
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 25, 2012 05:32PM
I wish we could get him to put all 95% into those poorest countries and stop screwing up education here in the states even more than politicians already are.

Move this to the dark side if you want, but I said my piece.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Re: Bill Gates on Using His Money to Save Lives and Fix U.S. Schools, and Steve Jobs
Posted by: hal
Date: January 25, 2012 06:06PM
I've stopped considering Gates to be evil years ago - the Gates foundation is absolutely awesome.

Good job bill!
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: January 25, 2012 06:21PM
haikuman
....While some of that money is devoted to improving U.S. education, roughly 75 percent goes to the poorest countries in the world, and Gates scoffs at the idea that the money would be better spent at home.

Yeah, because billionaires in other countries will take care of our poor...

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: haikuman
Date: January 25, 2012 06:34PM
Jack D.
haikuman
....While some of that money is devoted to improving U.S. education, roughly 75 percent goes to the poorest countries in the world, and Gates scoffs at the idea that the money would be better spent at home.

Yeah, because billionaires in other countries will take care of our poor...

Well yeah *(:>*

We have udder Billionaires and Millionaires in the USA and of course we all can do our own part in the USA.
I get what you are alluding to of course. I also get this udder udder stuff too. There is copious evidence from WHO and even udder agencies on this topic.

[library.thinkquest.org]

The World Health Organization estimates that one-third of the world is well-fed, one-third is under-fed one-third is starving- Since you've entered this site at least 200 people have died of starvation. Over 4 million will die this year.

I wish I had the where with all to do the things BG does. And surely I do agree we all could do more to help ourselves
Rudie pirate smiley

The USA census in 2009 was 307,005,550 If a dollar a month was donated by us to the USA poor we could possibly contribute a large some of money to our own poor. $3,684,078,600 *(:>*

Rudiepirate smiley

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2012 06:48PM by haikuman.
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: January 25, 2012 06:43PM
""I wish we could get him to put all 95% into those poorest countries and stop screwing up education here in the states even more than politicians already are.

Move this to the dark side if you want, but I said my piece."

Agreed wholeheartedly. Gates is supporting some good programs in foreign country, but his approach to education "reform" is horrible.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 25, 2012 09:57PM
hal
I've stopped considering Gates to be evil years ago - the Gates foundation is absolutely awesome.

Good job bill!

+ a googol. Who woulda thunk it?

It is what it is.
Posted by: bfd
Date: January 25, 2012 10:06PM
Ombligo
… stop screwing up education here in the states even more than politicians already are.

Agree with that statement 100%
Posted by: DRR
Date: January 26, 2012 08:58AM
hal

Good job bill!

Absolutely agree. When Gates Foundation first started, my cynical side assumed it was a feel-good diversion so that a multi-billionaire could give a million dollars here or there to charity and look a little less greedy.

Over the past decade-plus though, I have been thoroughly impressed with the work and dedication that has gone into the Gates Foundation and the results they can point to as a measure of their success.

I don't agree though that the money could not be better spent at home. While it does great things around the world, and I don't disagree with doing great things, Microsoft's success and Bills' bank account were initially driven by American people and our money. Windows and Office were not imported into this country, they were created here, they became popular here, then became international products. I think because of this, Bill and Melinda have a greater responsibility to the people and the families that drove their incredible success. That's my personal view, philosophically at least.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 26, 2012 10:57AM
Another positive vote for the Gates Foundation. Mine is unequivocal, however.

[www.gatesfoundation.org]

Posted by: sekker
Date: January 26, 2012 06:24PM
Gates foundation is fantastic. No negatives here.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 198
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020