advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $100.96 ( -0.83 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How long does USPS keep forwarding mail?
Posted by: Z
Date: January 31, 2012 11:29AM
I have a property a few states away that the water bills have been disappearing for. I had set up forwarding with the post office for that address to another over six years ago (late 2005), and I thought that they usually filtered that out of the system within about six months to a year later. I called about two months ago, after my tenant said that the water had been shut off, only to find that my old AK address was their operative mailing address. I changed it with them to the correct property address, however no bills have shown up since, and I got a call yesterday that the water was once again not operative. Grr.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How long does USPS keep forwarding mail?
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 31, 2012 11:31AM
one year
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: January 31, 2012 11:52AM
Space-Time is correct. I thought it was 6 months
[faq.usps.com]
Date: January 31, 2012 11:59AM
YMMV. They stopped forwarding my junk mail after 6 months and a couple of things got through to the current tenant before they got the forward label put on.

in tha 510.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 31, 2012 12:11PM
uhm... any particular reason you haven't called the local water company to send the bills to your correct address ? I'm just saying....

We have my late inlaw's home a few counties away.. the bills come right to my address, no problems.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 31, 2012 12:15PM
....until they pay it FORWARD......??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Black
Date: January 31, 2012 12:28PM
cbelt3
uhm... any particular reason you haven't called the local water company to send the bills to your correct address ? I'm just saying....

We have my late inlaw's home a few counties away.. the bills come right to my address, no problems.

From the OP:

I called about two months ago, after my tenant said that the water had been shut off, only to find that my old AK address was their operative mailing address. I changed it with them to the correct property address,

MR/F Guestmap: [www.mapservices.org]
Date: January 31, 2012 12:52PM
As Black noted, that's why. As it had been delivered to the property address before that, and mysteriously changed for the beginning of December to an AK address. Why they're not showing up now, even though the water utility shows the correct address, I'm not certain, but suspect USPS.
Posted by: JEBB
Date: January 31, 2012 05:32PM
I used to do some traveling for three months at a time and at that time three months was beyond the length of time the PO would forward my mail. Always gave me a headache.
Posted by: stephen
Date: January 31, 2012 07:31PM
they have a new "premium" forwarding service, FYI. Puts it all in a priority mail box once a week.
Date: January 31, 2012 07:40PM
Do you think it's possible that they'd still be sending notifications, 6-some years later? I'm trying to figure out how my old address showed up in the utilities database.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 31, 2012 08:28PM
Z
Do you think it's possible that they'd still be sending notifications, 6-some years later? I'm trying to figure out how my old address showed up in the utilities database.

the "downstairs apartment" address from when the former owner of my home rented it downstairs still shows up as a viable address in a number of utilities and cable companies databases. Hasn't been rented out in maybe 13 years.

I specifically told Comcast that there is no such address, and to remove it from their database because even spamming one address with adds/offers is bad enough, but I get 2 sets. I bet they could drop their rates by 20% if they stopped sending out 6-8 mailers a month to tens of millions of address.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: February 01, 2012 12:46AM
I can one-up Racer X on having two addresses connected to my house. It used to be set up as two units, front and back... that ended over 35 years ago. Comcast and its predecessor cable companies for the town still have me as being in Apt.1 even though I have tried to get it corrected a few times since I bought the house 25 years ago. At least so far I am not getting two sets of mailings...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login