AAPL stock: $102.91 ( +0.41 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
If you depend on Rosetta for Quicken etc---wait on 10.6 Update
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: February 03, 2012 12:19PM
Snow Leopard Security Update breaks Rosetta support

Apple said to be aware of problems

The separate Security Update 2012-001 download for Snow Leopard users is breaking apps that depend on Rosetta, according to complaints. Rosetta allows PowerPC-based apps to operate within Snow Leopard. Programs such as Eudora 6, Acrobat Pro 7, Quicken 2007, and Office 2004 will reportedly crash, freeze, or exhibit other unexpected behavior, such as failing to print documents.

Apple is said to be aware of the issue, but there is no timeline on a patch. People who need apps working earlier have two options, the most extreme of these being reinstalling Snow Leopard and updating to v10.6.8 while rejecting Security Update 2012-001. An unofficial app called RosettaFix may solve some problems by replacing files updated by 2012-001 with previous versions, but glitches persist in apps like Eudora 6, Acrobat 7, Photoshop CS2, and AppleWorks 6.

Apple has gradually drifted away from PowerPC support. Leopard was the last version of OS X to run on Macs with PowerPC chips, and in Snow Leopard, Rosetta was left out of default installations. Lion has no support for PowerPC apps whatsoever.

Read more: [www.macnn.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: If you depend on Rosetta for Quicken etc---wait on 10.6 Update
Posted by: decay
Date: February 03, 2012 12:23PM
some have reported they reinstalled Rosetta using Pacifist, repaired permissions, and rebooted.

[www.macintouch.com]

I tried it, Appleworks still quits on save or print command.

---
I buy records. Getting rid of some? Let me know.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: February 03, 2012 12:41PM
Grrrr.... I updated last night and need to use Excel 2004. Well, save seems to work, but it won't bring up the print dialogue, but at least it doesn't crash.
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 03, 2012 12:57PM
damn it, I have a PPC version of office (I think 2004) and I applied the security update last night
Posted by: clay
Date: February 03, 2012 01:09PM
yeah, me, too. Applied the update last evening, will need to check to see whether Quicken 2006 still runs or not when I get home tonight.

If not, I may be accelerating my switch to a different finance tracking program.
Posted by: GGD
Date: February 03, 2012 01:27PM
There was a thread yesterday about this too, initially it seemed to be a problem with Office V.x, but unfolded into a larger Rosetta problem.

[forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: btfc
Date: February 03, 2012 01:41PM
This thread too:

[forums.macresource.com]
Date: February 03, 2012 02:01PM
i tried reinstalling Rosetta using Pacifist, no luck.

also tried reinstalling the 10.6.8 combo update.

---
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: February 03, 2012 02:10PM
Well hey. Now that your Rosetta has stopped working, you might as well upgrade to Lion!

Date: February 03, 2012 02:42PM
bazookaman
Well hey. Now that your Rosetta has stopped working, you might as well upgrade to Lion!

Haha, my friend was just considering this conspiracy. And then once you upgrade to Lion, you may as well buy a new computer that ships with Lion...

Grrrr.... my 10 year old mail program now interprets the shift key as the command key, so everytime I try to make a capital letter, I get some crazy command instead. Kept trying to start an email with "H" and my program would disappear instead!
Date: February 03, 2012 03:44PM
[www.tuaw.com]

[9to5mac.com]

---
Date: February 03, 2012 04:53PM
Possible fix, but use at your own risk:
[www.educate-it.org]
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 03, 2012 05:44PM
space-time
damn it, I have a PPC version of office (I think 2004) and I applied the security update last night

ha, it turns out I did download the update via Software Update but I didn't restart the machine last night. So this evening I came how and it asked me to restart (in order to install). I clicked LATER and then when I shut down it asked me if I want to install and shut down or just shut down. I did shut down WITHOUT install and it seems like I avoided this update for now. It shows up when I check for new updates, so I ignored it for now. It is NOT listed in the installed updates. So now I need to install my Office 2004 see how that works.

When you install some update, where are these files downloaded? I found this one in Library/Updates but the other 10-15 updates I installed a few days earlier are not there
Posted by: clay
Date: February 03, 2012 08:05PM
hmmm. Apparently I installed some other update last night, so I'm good for now. I still have Security Update 2012-001 v1.1 listed in Software Update. Unless I installed v1.0 last night and they've already updated it to fix the Rosetta issue...
Posted by: DewGuy
Date: February 03, 2012 08:28PM
space-time
When you install some update, where are these files downloaded? I found this one in Library/Updates but the other 10-15 updates I installed a few days earlier are not there

Unless they changed it, I believe that they're deleted after installing.
Date: February 04, 2012 12:08AM
Yup, v1.1 is supposed to fix the problem. Hurray!
[www.macnn.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login