advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Weird iPhone contacts issue all of the sudden...
Posted by: john-o
Date: February 05, 2012 12:10PM
iPhone 4S, Vzon, two weeks old...

So everything has worked fine in the phone app on this phone until this morning. First thing I noticed is that I couldn't delete voicemails. So I reboot the phone. Now, all my contacts are there, but my Recents and voicemail just show phone numbers. I believe it's because I have a custom phone number format set on my Mac Pro (xxx.xxx.xxxx, instead of the default (xxx) xxx-xxxx). So now, all my contacts show the phone numbers as xxxxxxxxxx, and they're not recognized in by the phone app when a call comes in or in Recents & voicemail.

I tried removing Contacts from my iCloud settings, and then re-enabling them. No go... Trying a hard reset now.

So I'm wondering if this is this a Vzon issue or an Apple one? My custom phone # format has never been a problem before, and wasn't on this phone until this morning, so what gives? Anyone else seeing (or seen) anything similar?

This kind of thing drives me nuts... angry villagers smiley
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Weird iPhone contacts issue all of the sudden...
Posted by: Finney
Date: February 05, 2012 12:16PM
Have you tried this:

[support.apple.com]

-Finney
Re: Weird iPhone contacts issue all of the sudden...
Posted by: john-o
Date: February 05, 2012 12:32PM
Thanks Finney!

Very helpful... FYI, ignore all the BS at the beginning, and under Additional Information, follow these steps:

If you are using using Verizon as your provider and iPhone displays the ten-digit number instead of the name of the other party, please follow these steps:
  1. Dial *228 from your iPhone.
  2. When prompted, select option 1.
  3. When complete, you will hear a confirmation message.
  4. Force the Contacts, Messages, and Phone applications to close using the following steps:
    1. Ensure that you have recently opened the Contacts, Messages, and Phone applications.
    2. From the Home screen, double-click the Home button to display the recently used apps.
    3. Tap and hold the icon for the Contacts application until a red minus appears.
    4. Tap the red minus to close the app.
    5. Repeat the previous step for the Messages and Phone applications.
    6. Tap the Home screen to return.
  5. Turn iPhone off and then back on.

Hope this helps someone else in the same situation someday,
John
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 243
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018