Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $101.32 ( +0.74 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Ideal layover time between flights.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: February 08, 2012 08:07AM
I do not even know if I can fly. I could be on da list.
I am going to try to take my Mom (84) to her Brothers funeral. What would be a comfortable layover time at the Denver airport to get from one flight to the next?

Staunton, Virginia
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Ideal layover time between flights.
Posted by: blooz
Date: February 08, 2012 08:30AM
Depends how big the airport is and how far away from each other the gates. I once had to run my butt off in the Detroit airport going from end to another with only a 15 minute layover. who'd a thunk the damn place would be so big?

Be here now. Be someplace else later. Is that so complicated?
Zen is not easy. It takes effort to attain nothingness. And then what do you have? Bupkes.

Western Massachusetts
Posted by: dmann
Date: February 08, 2012 08:36AM
Like blooz said, it depends on the airport and the specific airlines involved. Another thing to keep in mind is that depending on where you are seated on the first flight, it could take a good 10 minutes to just get off the plane. I'd allow for an hour, at the minimum.

If both legs of the flight are with the same airline, they set the "allowable" connection time which as noted, can be as little as 15 minutes. Don't assume that means the gates will be close to one another!

If you or your mom have any physical limitations, you can ask in advance for wheelchairs and assistance to get between gates.

DM
Posted by: billb
Date: February 08, 2012 08:37AM
I like an hour.

If your arrival is on time and your walk time between gates is 10 minutes and and they start boarding 15 minutes before your flight that gives you 35 minutes t0 find a bathroom and maybe water or whatever. If mom has a cane (even if she doesn't need it) they might let you guys on the plane early. If you'd rather sit on the plane waiting than in line .

Download or print a terminal map (sometimes there's one in a seatback you can look at but don't count on it) . You probably won't need it.

A bigger airport maybe an hour and a half.

Edit: Don't count on the gates on the ticket being the gates they actually use. (another reason for a terminal layout map )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2012 08:41AM by billb.
Posted by: JPK
Date: February 08, 2012 08:42AM
Domestic. I'd say an hour is a reasonable amount for just about any airport. Certainly a small regional airport with two gates vs. Denver and a change of airlines is a different story.

All bets off for international layovers!

JPK
Posted by: lazydays
Date: February 08, 2012 08:45AM
Another vote for an hour. Plenty of time to find the next terminal, potty break, and maybe grab a snack if necessary.
Posted by: tahoedrew
Date: February 08, 2012 08:51AM
An hour is more than enough time for just about anyone. I've "comfortably" done 40/45 minute layovers too.

When you start to get into the 30 minutes and less territory you're on edge MOST of your flight there and then while changing planes. That said, I've done 30 minute layovers on American at ORD without having to sprint to my gate; but it's still unnerving.

~A
Posted by: Mr645
Date: February 08, 2012 08:57AM
I like 60-90 minutes. Get off the plane, grab a bite, find a new magazine, go to the next gate. Smaller airports? an hour or less. I actually like breaking up long distances with a break between two flights.

The shortest was 7 minutes in San Francisco. Shortly prior to landing the pilot made an annoucement that my connecting flight (SanFran to Monterey) was cancelled and replaced by another flight on another airline. We had 7 minutes and we were told NOT to take the shuttle if we wanted to make the flight. To make the flight we would have to run through the parking lot. We made it, luggage did not
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 08, 2012 09:04AM
Bernie,

Considering the circumstances, you'd be better off trying to find a direct flight. This removes any sort of layover from the picture entirely. But, a reasonable time for the layover is dependent on several factors. If your mother is handicapped and/or requires assistance, moving from one gate to another could prove time consuming. This is _especially_ true if the airline is proving mobility services such as a wheelchair.

For example, if you have the airline providing wheelchair services, a staff member with a wheelchair may not be waiting for you at the destination. Rather, you may have to wait for them to arrive at the gate. It could be just a minute or two. It could be much longer. And that assumes they remember they're supposed to provide the service.

IF you _must_ travel with a layover, absolutely allow for at least an hour at the minimum. As others have said, it could take a significant amount of time just to get off the plane. The gate for departure could be the same gate. It could be on the other side of the airport. It could be on the other side of the airport in a completely different building.

The locations could be far enough that you'll need to use a subway system just to get from one place to another. That happened to me in Atlanta. You need to use a subway system to get from location to location and the gate for my flight was the farthest from the entrance. It took a significant amount of time to get there.

If you're going to get mobility assistance from the airline, consider factoring more time into the equation.

Consider... If you must deal with a layover, make it easy for yourself. Allow yourself enough time to grab a snack. Make a bathroom stop since even an Airport bathroom is far superior to an airplane bathroom. Take a leisurely walk from one gate to the other. You get the idea.

Traveling to a funeral in itself is very stressful. Traveling by plane can be quite stressful. Combine the two and you're talking serious stress. Although I'm sure you want to get your destination as quickly as possible, you don't want to make an already stressful situation all the more stressful by having to rush from one gate to another, especially if you're traveling with an elderly loved one.

I forgot to mention that I applaud your efforts to take your mom to her brother's funeral. To me, that in itself is wonderful.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2012 09:10AM by Robert M.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: February 08, 2012 09:15AM
Considering that your mom is 84, and that you're stopping over in Denver, I agree with an hour and a half.
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 08, 2012 09:22AM
I am not sure about Denver, but for international flights I like at least 2-2.5 hours. Like in Paris CDG when you take those damn buses to get from one terminal to another, and then walk another mile inside the terminal to get to the gate. when I fly from US to Europe, 2 hours is OK since they don't do so many security controls, but when I come back to US I like more like 3 hours since they do more security checks.
Posted by: 3d
Date: February 08, 2012 09:24AM
Even if your 84yo mother does not normally use a wheelchair, ask in advance for a wheelchair. At every point in the process... from buying the ticket, confirmation, check-in, luggage screening, departure, transfer, etc... mention and ask about the wheelchair accessibility TO EVERYONE. Just keep on mentioning it.

The flight attendants and employees will look out for her and her needs. Wheelchairs cut lines. Board first. Zoom through gates. Milk it smiling smiley
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 08, 2012 09:45AM
3d has it. Get and use the Wheelchair.

Go for a 1 1/2 to 2 hour layover. Travel is stressful, going to a funeral is stressful. No reason to add the stress of making it to the gate on time. Wander through the shops, enjoy a snack, plan on bathroom breaks, etc...
Posted by: davester
Date: February 08, 2012 09:48AM
3d
Even if your 84yo mother does not normally use a wheelchair, ask in advance for a wheelchair.

I'd say that depends a lot on your 84 yo mother. I can assure you that my 84 yo mother (who regularly played golf, swam, hiked, etc) would have been insulted and would have disowned her son if I had sked her to get into a wheelchair.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2012 09:49AM by davester.
Posted by: billb
Date: February 08, 2012 09:55AM
space-time
I am not sure about Denver, but for international flights I like at least 2-2.5 hours. Like in Paris CDG when you take those damn buses to get from one terminal to another, and then walk another mile inside the terminal to get to the gate. when I fly from US to Europe, 2 hours is OK since they don't do so many security controls, but when I come back to US I like more like 3 hours since they do more security checks.

He's going to Denver, not Hell. :-)

(CDG is not fun, especially if you're connecting flight is late and you have to go through the public area, and everyone pretty much has to go through the public area)
Denevr is like Atlanta, easy peazy, and you're not in Atlanta.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: February 08, 2012 10:54AM
Okay, lets see if I have this straight. Mom refuses wheelchair, I ride instead. Denver airport is user friendly with scary paintings on walls. Drink plenty of fluids.
damn you smiley

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 08, 2012 06:05PM
lost in space
Considering that your mom is 84, and that you're stopping over in Denver, I agree with an hour and a half.

This is the correct answer.

DIA's a big airport, and at her age I assume your mom takes longer to get along. Don't forget that you can request assistance to help your mom get from her arrival gate to her connection gate, typically in the form of a wheelchair waiting for her at her arrival gate or via a ride on an electric cart.

Note also that these days many airlines start boarding as much as 40 minutes before takeoff. Your mom should qualify for preboarding based on her advanced age.

It is what it is.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 08, 2012 09:33PM
.....most guys wanna' LAYOVER a Supermodel......like that Giselle something........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login