You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Poll: Let hard drives sleep when possible or not
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: February 12, 2012 01:01AM
Poll
287 votes were received.
All visitors can vote.
Sleep hard drives or not?

Anyone know if this is good or bad to let hard drives run all the time if you leave you machine on 24/7 or is the spinning up and down cause more wear to the mechanisms?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Poll: Let hard drives sleep when possible or not
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: February 12, 2012 01:15AM
Every time your system needs to access data on a sleeping drive, you wait 15 seconds or more.

Don't sleep drives on plugged-in systems.
Posted by: Black
Date: February 12, 2012 01:19AM
Article Accelerator
Every time your system needs to access data on a sleeping drive, you wait 15 seconds or more.

But why have a drive spinning if you're away from the machine for 8-10 hour stretches? It's only going to spin up once while you're actually using it, unless you have your energy prefs set to spin it down after some ridiculously short idle time.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: bik
Date: February 12, 2012 02:41AM
Black
But why have a drive spinning if you're away from the machine for 8-10 hour stretches? It's only going to spin up once while you're actually using it, unless you have your energy prefs set to spin it down after some ridiculously short idle time.

I think we're talking about the check box in Energy Saver prefs that says "spin down drives when not in use," which means any non-system drive spins down in a short amount of time, even when using the computer. You can't control the specific timing of the drives sleeping like you can monitors.

For when you are away from the computer for long stretches, you CAN have the whole system sleep.
Posted by: olnacl
Date: February 12, 2012 05:55AM
Mine are set to not spin down, but I DO sleep the computer manually when I plan to be away from it for a significant period of time. So the question is: Does manual sleep override the lack of a check mark in the Put hard disk(s) to sleep when possible?
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: February 12, 2012 06:49AM
One hard drive, yes. In a tower with more than one, I always checked no since the second drive had to spin up every time I wanted to open or save a file.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 12, 2012 09:57AM

This is what I do.

For when you are away from the computer for long stretches, you CAN have the whole system sleep.

Ditto.

Does manual sleep override the lack of a check mark in the Put hard disk(s) to sleep when possible?

No question: yes.

When you Sleep your system, HDs spin down and sleep with the rest of the computer.

Ticking that checkbox affects behavior when the system is awake. Here, external HDs may be another matter.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 12, 2012 10:55AM
If I want to use my 3 Apple TVs, I can't let them sleep. I'm running 7 externals and had a terrible time keeping the system from crashing when sleep drives option was selected. For some unknown reason, (to me) if I let the externals sleep, I would have trouble with some of them waking up when requested by any of the ATVs. It would freeze up iTunes and eventually the finder. System was so dead, I couldn't even do a standard restart. I would have to power down manually and restart. I have stopped sleeping the drives and now the system is flawless with no known problems with anything.

It was so bad at one point in trying to squash the bug, that I even did a complete nuke and pave. The problem still existed. I suspect it's an issue with the drives themselves, but I have a mix of all the popular brands, and they ALL seemed to have issues waking up at one time or another.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 12, 2012 11:22AM
Seems like several different situations here.

1) Please DO put your machine - including your hard drive - to sleep when you are not using your computer. For most people, that's at least 12 hours a day. In my institution, the default is to turn OFF power saving, especially for windows machines. It's amazing how much heat these machines produce from the energy they consume. And I guarantee you that the hard drives on machines plugged into the wall will DEFINITELY hit their EOL right on schedule once they are near their MTBF. I am convinced my IT department is happy with this situation as it forces hardware (and software) upgrades, keeping them in regular business.

2) For some machines, I can see where spinning down the hard drive could be a problem. But I bet it's only 10% or less of the machines that have that setting turned off. I have this laptop with an SSD boot and a hard drive, it's not a big deal to have the hard drive spin down when I'm just surfing the web, etc. It saves me battery life, and it likely saves the hard drive long-term.

3) Rick-O: I salute you! SEVEN drives on your iTunes server - amazing! I tried to use 2 drives for that purpose, and it was doable but complicated enough that I purchased a 1.5 TB external to combine everything into one place. Then I gathered a second external for a clone backup. With one drive, I can let it sleep for access by one of our 3 ATV2s, no problem. But all it would take is one drive slow to spin up to make your server slow.
Posted by: Black
Date: February 12, 2012 01:21PM
sekker
Seems like several different situations here.

1) Please DO put your machine - including your hard drive - to sleep when you are not using your computer. For most people, that's at least 12 hours a day. In my institution, the default is to turn OFF power saving, especially for windows machines. It's amazing how much heat these machines produce from the energy they consume. And I guarantee you that the hard drives on machines plugged into the wall will DEFINITELY hit their EOL right on schedule once they are near their MTBF. I am convinced my IT department is happy with this situation as it forces hardware (and software) upgrades, keeping them in regular business.

Agree w/ this; I've come to feel that hard drive life (barring manufacturing defect) can be predicted by a heat X time formula. If I'm away from the computer for 14 hours some days, there's no point in keeping the drive good and warm all that time.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2012 01:22PM by Black.
Posted by: rz
Date: February 12, 2012 01:41PM
Everything I was going to say has been said above. If I'm going to be away from my Mac Pro (with 5 internal drives and a 4-bay enclosure connected) for a while, I put it to sleep. To do that, I need to unmount all the drives in the external box and turn off the enclosure. That can be a pain though, as sometimes they won't remount without a reboot. But otherwise, all the drives stay spinning, otherwise there's a long lag when trying to do anything that accesses the drives.
Posted by: Trouble
Date: February 12, 2012 01:58PM
Hate computer sleep and I've never set any of my computers to sleep. On or off for the computer and the set the hard drives spin all of the time.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: February 12, 2012 03:42PM
Trouble
Hate computer sleep and I've never set any of my computers to sleep. On or off for the computer and the set the hard drives spin all of the time.

Why? What's wrong with sleep?
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: February 12, 2012 07:54PM
I've been having some wake from sleep problems so I set it to never
spin down the Hard drives, 2 ext. right now 2 more yet to be hooked
up. I meant to get AppleCare for it as it ran out in Aug. but everything
that was going on in our lives it just never came to mind until it didn't
wake up about 3 times in one week a few weeks ago. I let the display sleep.
It's a mid 2010 iMac. There hasn't been any wake problems since setting
it to not spin down the drives.

Grateful11
Posted by: Trouble
Date: February 12, 2012 08:37PM
silvarios
Trouble

Why? What's wrong with sleep?

Some hardware is incompatible. I use my machines to serve files to other machines and devices. I have preventive maintenance software on my Mac and PCs that run when they are idle. I think it is better for the machines and hard drives to keep them running and at a relatively stable temperature. I hate that delay for a computer to wake up or a hard drive to spin up.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 247
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018