advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
If YOU were looking for a pallet load of "the best intel Mac $350 ea can buy" - where would YOU look?
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 17, 2012 01:08PM
As most of you know, and a few of you might even remember from one post to another (heh heh...), I'm the "IT Dept" at a California public school.

Well, we don't, as a rule, have any money. (insert scathing political rant vis a vis school budgets vs the $97 BILLION dollar "high speed rail to nowhere" project here...)

We may have "access" to some money from a private source that would be useable for used computers (being able to buy USED basically NEVER happens with regular funding channels...).

Probably be a few weeks before I know if technology is where some of this money might be going...

If you were looking for a quantity of "the best used Intel Mac $350 each could buy" (and I say $350, because we have so DAMN many PPC Macs we have to replace, and that "high speed rail to nowhere" isn't getting any cheaper... )
Where would you look?

I've already checked eBay... MegaMacs is on the table, so is MacOfAllTrades (assuming they don't think I'm a pissant...).

What other vendors do you know of that might carry a quantity (10+) of decent used Intel iMacs, or cheaper-than-that Mini's?

Thanks in advance for any leads!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: If YOU were looking for a pallet load of "the best intel Mac $350 ea can buy" - where would YOU look?
Posted by: haikuman
Date: February 17, 2012 01:10PM
C(-)ris and Grimm always knew about these kind of deals deals ~!~

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2012 01:11PM by haikuman.
Re: If YOU were looking for a pallet load of "the best intel Mac $350 ea can buy" - where would YOU look?
Posted by: hal
Date: February 17, 2012 01:12PM
Contact Power Max computers in oregon

Poweron in the sacramento area (although I'm not fond of them)

I would try going hat in hand to large local operations than would have macs and BEG for consideration when they next upgrade
Posted by: evilrobot
Date: February 17, 2012 01:15PM
"high speed rail to nowhere"
but you can (in theory) stop in Fresno AND Bakersfield. smiling smiley

i'd really like that money spent on our already drained schools.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 17, 2012 01:18PM
Paul-

I would seriously suggest calling the mothership and speaking w/ the folks in the edu marketing department. While at your price point, they likely aren't gonna cut you a deal on new stuff; ask them to research prior bulk sales to schools that may have some aging hardware (for them), but stuff that might be perfect for you... it's a win/win, Apple sells new stuff to a more solvent school district, and you get to buy the older stuff to free up the PPC's in your playground for target practice. Good luck.

///

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: lazydays
Date: February 17, 2012 01:29PM
Members of our local user group often donated computers to the local school when they upgraded. Might try contacting your local user group.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 17, 2012 01:44PM
*ahem*... Larry ? Looking for some instant Karma ? big grin smiley
Posted by: Tofer
Date: February 17, 2012 01:57PM
You might reach out to the local colleges around the area and see if they are updating any time soon. I don't know what their policies are for getting rid of older technology, but they may be able to sell it to you for what they could get from a salvage shop. Good luck!
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: February 17, 2012 02:43PM
PowerMax or MegaMacs. Surplus Computers seldom has Macs, but worth a call, I suppose. I wonder where FedEx Office surpluses its replaced computers?
Date: February 17, 2012 02:44PM
Thanks all!

I'll check Power Max and PowerOn..

Our local state university I have tried to contact their surplus property dept a couple times, and they never return my call or email... so I kinda got the hint. Might try again though!

Kinda like Buzz and Lazydays ideas...

Again, thanks!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 17, 2012 03:04PM
Too bad it is limit one per customer.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: TLB
Date: February 17, 2012 03:19PM
I like monitoring Govdeals, there are lots of sales near me.

Unfortunately, it is all the way on the opposite coast from you and the sale ends in 3 days.

[www.govdeals.com]

5 days (Virginia)
[www.govdeals.com]

6 days (Indiana)

[www.govdeals.com]
Posted by: MarkD
Date: February 17, 2012 03:20PM
How about L.A. Computer Company? I have bought some stuff from them, but never used computers.

Small Dog may have some kind of deal where they know where used computers are.
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: February 17, 2012 06:50PM
Contact the state DGS surplus property office. They have a program to get computers into schools.
[www.dgs.ca.gov]

If you don't qualify, you can still buy stuff at the public auctions. Check the catalog a week before the auction.
[www.dgs.ca.gov]
Date: February 17, 2012 09:48PM
Filliam;

We'll go Windows over my rotting carcass... and "Franken-Mac'ing" new machines being a violation of the TOS on the Mac OS, I don't really want to go there.... (Ubuntu, on the other hand... Hmmmm.....)

TLB;
I'll keep an eye out for deals in CA on there... thanks!

MarkD;
LA Computer seems to want a pretty penny for the iMacs they have...
Smalldog too...
Don't begrudge either of them their profit margin, but it's over what we can afford (assuming this funding source even pans out...).

Chakravartin;
I spent an hour last week trying to find a state level "surplus property" deptartment... and went 'round and around, and around the same web sites.. and never turned that up!
Thanks!

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: haikuman
Date: February 18, 2012 12:42AM
How many Intel Macs are you looking for Paul ?

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Date: February 18, 2012 01:19AM
Well, as many as I can get... ( We have 140-ish PPC Macs to replace).
If this pot of money comes through, it'll probably be between $3500 and $4500, maybe a bit more if the state doesn't give us another surprise mid-year cut... So I know we won't be replacing all 140-odd.

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: kj
Date: February 18, 2012 12:11PM
A guy on the LEM list sells pallets (usually pick up only, but maybe he'd make an exception) and seems to have an inexhaustible supply of used macs. Might be worth a try, as his prices seem really good. I'll pm you his e-mail, since it seems like a bad idea to post it on a forum. kj.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 99
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018